Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Been lurking on the forum awhile now... figured I'd finally say hello. Bought an '07 1300 for myself as a birthday present back in August. Really enjoying the new ride. Been trying to sort out what mods are already on the bike. Think I may have them all figured out, finally.

Done so far:
  • Monster Pro 2 into 1
  • O2 delete
  • Hypercharger
  • Dual Airhorn upgrade
  • RSTD bars
To Do:
  • Power Commander
  • Speedo Relocation
  • 16" Apehangers
  • Ignition Relocation

·
2,502 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Beautiful ride you got there!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, NorthernRider. This bike was love at first sight when I got it.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,457 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
great looking bike.

That 1300 engine has some life to it when you get on the throttle.

The one thing you should look into is the hypercharger. Ive seen people say its difficult to adjust the mapping or to jet carbs for a hypercharger, because the ram air effect into the front changes its airflow with speed. Maybe is easier to map with fuel injection.

If you think the bike is running a bit rough, esp at slower speeds, that would be the thing to look check out. You might be able to simply close the ram air port and have it act like a regular air intake pod.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great looking bike.

That 1300 engine has some life to it when you get on the throttle.

The one thing you should look into is the hypercharger. Ive seen people say its difficult to adjust the mapping or to jet carbs for a hypercharger, because the ram air effect into the front changes its airflow with speed. Maybe is easier to map with fuel injection.

If you think the bike is running a bit rough, esp at slower speeds, that would be the thing to look check out. You might be able to simply close the ram air port and have it act like a regular air intake pod.
I spoke to a mechanic at a nearby shop today, and he was saying if I want to keep the hypercharger (was debating keep it or just go with a big air kit from ss custom), the best bet for mapping would probably be a trip to the dyno after adding something like a power commander. But honestly, aside from a little bit of slight surging at near idle speed when pulling out of my driveway, I think it feels like it's running like a top. One reason I want to keep it though, if I'm totally honest, is the hopes of finding a hypercharger infinity streamliner kit used on the cheap :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Surging out of your driveway when the engine is cold could just be you need to adjust the choke a little better (if your bike has one) or let it warm up a bit more while you check your lights and adjust your mirrors.

Having a bike run somewhat rough at low engine rpms does not sound like a big deal, but the thing that will get you: when taking corners and curves there is a balance between the turn angle, lean, and your speed. If the engine is surging on a curve or corner you will not be able to hold your line thru the turn.

Worse case Ive had, I pushed the choke all the way in too soon on a cold morning. Taking off from a stop sign into a right turn the engine dropped out halfway around the corner, which made the bike dive for the curb. I avoided the curb and learned to push the choke all the way in about a 1/2 mile down the road.

You can compensate for an engine that wont idle right by coasting thru turns and taking it easy on curves, but that takes away half the joy of riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Surging out of your driveway when the engine is cold could just be you need to adjust the choke a little better (if your bike has one) or let it warm up a bit more while you check your lights and adjust your mirrors.

Having a bike run somewhat rough at low engine rpms does not sound like a big deal, but the thing that will get you: when taking corners and curves there is a balance between the turn angle, lean, and your speed. If the engine is surging on a curve or corner you will not be able to hold your line thru the turn.

Worse case Ive had, I pushed the choke all the way in too soon on a cold morning. Taking off from a stop sign into a right turn the engine dropped out halfway around the corner, which made the bike dive for the curb. I avoided the curb and learned to push the choke all the way in about a 1/2 mile down the road.

You can compensate for an engine that wont idle right by coasting thru turns and taking it easy on curves, but that takes away half the joy of riding a motorcycle.

No choke as it’s FI, but the slight drop and surge only seems to be when I’m slightly above idle. I live in a trailer park with lots of kids running around. So I don’t tend to turn the throttle when I’m first pulling out more than a few mm. Once I get to the street though, she purrs with any kind of throttle applied. I know that there’s a few small adjustments to make to it soon, since, to quote a big name tv show, “Winter is coming”. I’m hoping that I can get the power commander and mapping done during the non-riding season. Maybe it will help with the chug-a-lug at the slightly above idle, but I’m not sure. I did read elsewhere on these forums about other VS1300 owners having similar issues, and having a tune by Ivan sounds like it fixed it.

Just out of curiosity, how tall are the bars on your Royal? They look pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
they are 9" from the center of the handlebar to the level of the grips. The triple tree is much higher on this bike than on my VS650. I tried putting them up in line with the front fork. I thought maybe that would pull me forward and help me sit up straight. About 3 miles down the road in mini Ape mode both hands and forearms were nearly numb. I pulled them back down during lunch at work so I would not have to ride home like that.

I looked at a lot of photos of early Royal Stars and most have the grips just a few inches above the gas tank. Thats about where I have mine now.

Before you make any adjustments to your fuel injection mapping or if you are thinking of doing a dyno tune, check your air filter. If its not white like paper get a new one. On both of my bikes I have been amazed how much a grey air filter throttles back the engine.

Yamaha points out the jets on the carbs and the stock fuel mapping on FI bikes are tuned for a clean air filter. Anything blocking the flow is like stuffing a rag in your air intake. Its not just that it restricts some of the air flow, the FI cannot correct for it, so when you twist the throttle 1/4 turn, it squirts the injectors for 1/4 turn. If you are only getting 1/8th of the air, its gonna be stupidly rich all the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate the info on the bars and the filter. I haven't checked it yet, but that's definitely on the list for when I put it away for the winter. I figure I can check everything out before putting it up, then as winter goes on, slowly take care of the different things I find.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
yeah... but that would drive me nuts. As soon as I tinker with anything =>TEST RIDE!

Having to wait for months to see if the bike runs better after you work on it is torture.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah... but that would drive me nuts. As soon as I tinker with anything =>TEST RIDE!

Having to wait for months to see if the bike runs better after you work on it is torture.
I agree, however looking at the projected weather, along with my soul sucking work schedule (6 day avg and 70+/- hrs a week), I may be putting it up sooner than I want.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
If you are not sure when the last ride will be for the season, start putting one ounce of fuel for every gallon of gas you put in your tank now. That is the most important thing to do, putting a fuel stabilizer in the gas and letting it run thru the carbs, fuel pump, fuel injection circuit...

After you have let the bike sit for a month or two then its too late to put a fuel stabilizer in the tank, the fuel has already started to break down. If you can get ethanol free gas that would do what you need instead of the stabilizer.

A 16 ounce can of Seafoam will be good for 3 or 4 full tanks of gas, and it wont hurt anything to have it in your fuel.

Then if you realize you are not going to ride the bike anymore, all you have to do is top off the tank so its full (but not to the brim of the filler tube), to prevent the tank from rusting inside, and either take the battery off the bike and put it indoors and keep an eye on it over the winter (check the voltage every month, charge it back up to 12.4V if it drops).. or put a battery tender on it in the bike.

BTW, a battery tender is not the same as a trickle charger. A trickle charger will overcharge a motorcycle battery if left connected.

I have been using Seafoam in my VS650 for the last 5 winters here in upstate NY. Every spring when I push the bike out of the garage, the engine starts up before the 2nd complete spin of the crankshaft. It doesnt get any better than that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts