Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy everyone,

I just picked up my 2007 V Star 1300 from a local auction house. It was a great deal and I'm looking forward to learning more about it. I'm making a huge jump up to this beast. She runs but won't go into gear just yet. It needs some work so I'm going to review the forum to see if I can get some help with getting her back on the road. I look forward to reading your information and learning all about my new-to-me new bike. She's a big girl and I think we're gonna get along fine.

She has a batwing fairing with a stereo and speakers installed. She also has some viking saddle bags on her. The mileage looks like it's under 12k. I'm still waiting for the title. Otherwise she looks like she's in pretty good shape.

I took the batwing off and the saddle bags for now. I'm making a huge jump up to this big girl from a little 250 commuter bike. I wanna get her going so I can get a feel for her on the road.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,081 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Ditto on the request for pics, tell us a bit more about your new to you bike. Miles, mods if any, and overall condition when you bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. You're gonna love that big girl when you get her up and running. Start a new thread in the appropriate forum for the most responses if you need some help. The people here are more than willing to answer any questions you may have. And yeah, we're kinda big on pics here so post one when you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Welcome from white Wisconsin. I hope it goes well for you. It could be something as simple as needing an oil change. Dirty oil can make the clutch plates stick together. Good luck let us know what you find out. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here willing to help out.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
wont go into gear?! never heard of that

do you mean the engine quits when you shift it into gear?

if so, its because you have the kickstand down, or the kickstand position switch is broken. It a safety feature that prevents you from riding off with the kick stand down.

If the bike lurches forward and stalls when you shift it into 1st gear, its because the clutch plates are hydro-locked from being parked for a long time. You need to give the bike a duck-walk running start in neutral while its running, then kick it down into first with the clutch pulled in, and once you get it moving pump the clutch lever while giving it some gas to work the plates loose.

That will also happen if the clutch cable is broken, but that would be obvious because the lever would have no resistance.

If you mean the bike is in neutral and does not shift into any gear, there is something loose or broken with the shifter or the shaft going into the engine - that could be more complicated to repair.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Howdy everyone,

I just picked up my 2007 V Star 1300 from a local auction house. It was a great deal and I'm looking forward to learning more about it. I'm making a huge jump up to this beast. She runs but won't go into gear just yet. It needs some work so I'm going to review the forum to see if I can get some help with getting her back on the road. I look forward to reading your information and learning all about my new-to-me new bike. She's a big girl and I think we're gonna get along fine.
welcome to the forum. You will find the other members to be very helpful and informative. Nice looking ride. Hope you get it on the road soon. Happy trails.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina!
That IS a big jump up! You’ll find a whole bunch of friendly knowledgeable people here that are more than willing to help you out.
It is a good Idea to comb though some existing threads to see if someone has already posted something that would help you.
With it being such a big jump up, have you been riding your 250 for a while? What kinda roads have you been used to riding on? Any highway riding?
I only ask because this bike will open up a whole new world to you!
Congrats on your purchase. We look forward to seeing plenty of pics (necessary here) as you make the bike uniquely yours!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts