Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing more and more that this bell is a must on my bike being a new rider. I am somewhat into the whole superstition thing. But what I am wanting to know is 1. Do I ask for one as a gift? 2. Do I just hope I get one as a gift without asking? 3. Does it need to come from a fellow rider or just from a family member or friend? And 4. What else do I need to know about the bells? I have read the meaning and placement of the bells and even the old tales of how they got started. Thanks in advance for all your help and I wish you all safe and rewarding journeys!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
You can tactfully ask for a bell from someone who cares about you. They don't have to be a rider, it can be anyone who cares about your safety. Just tell them the story and then smile. Augie :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
My bike came with one already attached.. Anything wrong with keeping that one, or do I need a "personal" one? Just as curious as the OP about this..

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
OK, I'll bite! What's the story behind said bell?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the stories that I have read break down to the same background. Supposedly years ago a man was bringing back toys and trinkets for children near his home. through the years he had never had any problems with his old faithful bike. As he was nearing the border of Mexico he crashed his bike and what seems to be "Road Gremlins" began to I guess you could say attack. Road gremlins are the ones who cause bad things to happen to you on your bike random things that start going wrong after you've never had a problem. Sticks, potholes, garbage in the road... When these road gremlins were trying to get him, he threw everything he had from the saddle bags at them and nothing would stop them. He had a bell left to throw and he rang and rang it. Two other bikers nearby at a campsite had heard the bell and came to his rescue. He offered them payment and they would not accept; so he took two small pieces of leather from his saddlebags and tied a bell to each of them and put them on their motorcycles saying that the sound of the bells would ward off the evil road spirits. Since then it's been a legend that gremlin bells will keep evil road gremlins / road spirits away.

·
Registered
491 Posts
All the stories that I have read break down to the same background. Supposedly years ago a man was bringing back toys and trinkets for children near his home. through the years he had never had any problems with his old faithful bike. As he was nearing the border of Mexico he crashed his bike and what seems to be "Road Gremlins" began to I guess you could say attack. Road gremlins are the ones who cause bad things to happen to you on your bike random things that start going wrong after you've never had a problem. Sticks, potholes, garbage in the road... When these road gremlins were trying to get him, he threw everything he had from the saddle bags at them and nothing would stop them. He had a bell left to throw and he rang and rang it. Two other bikers nearby at a campsite had heard the bell and came to his rescue. He offered them payment and they would not accept; so he took two small pieces of leather from his saddlebags and tied a bell to each of them and put them on their motorcycles saying that the sound of the bells would ward off the evil road spirits. Since then it's been a legend that gremlin bells will keep evil road gremlins / road spirits away.
Nice! Thanks for the background! :)

eGo

·
Registered
251 Posts
My wife gave me my first bell which was attached to my tankbag for my sportbike which I no longer own. My Roady came with one that previous owner attached under the engine. I transferred the one from my tank bag to a cable bracket between the fork legs, under the headlight.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bought my bike from an adult who's son returned home from Iraq in a bad way. The strain of having to assist this man was overwhelming and it ended up causing the couple to break up. The mother kept tending to her son and the bike never was not being ridden. While at work a care worker had to stay with the young man and once the mother got home she took over.

That said, the bike had a Troop Bell and I told the woman that I would keep that bell in honor of her son.

Now the bad part. I was cleaning the bike up last fall and noticed the bell had fell off. I know its just a bell but that has really messed with me. I should have kept an eye on it but it appears the solid ring at the top of the bell had worn through because the ring that was used to attach the bell to the bike was still there.

My riding buddy bought me a new bell but I have not put it on yet. I guess I should.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I bought my bike from an adult who's son returned home from Iraq in a bad way. The strain of having to assist this man was overwhelming and it ended up causing the couple to break up. The mother kept tending to her son and the bike never was not being ridden. While at work a care worker had to stay with the young man and once the mother got home she took over.

That said, the bike had a Troop Bell and I told the woman that I would keep that bell in honor of her son.

Now the bad part. I was cleaning the bike up last fall and noticed the bell had fell off. I know its just a bell but that has really messed with me. I should have kept an eye on it but it appears the solid ring at the top of the bell had worn through because the ring that was used to attach the bell to the bike was still there.

My riding buddy bought me a new bell but I have not put it on yet. I guess I should.
Very nice thought, about the Troop bell.

However, I think you should put the bell on ASAP: now I know why the bracket for your foot peg broke, and why there is play in your risers! You should have attached the bell first! <GDR>

Kind regards, Wim ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Very nice thought, about the Troop bell.

However, I think you should put the bell on ASAP: now I know why the bracket for your foot peg broke, and why there is play in your risers! You should have attached the bell first! <GDR>

Kind regards, Wim ;)
HAHA you might have a point. BTW, the play in the risers is probably over stated. I taked to a buddy of mine who has taller risers on his bike and his does the same thing.

If I push and pull pretty hard I might get a total movement of a 32nd of an inch. I guess the taller they are the more leverage you have for movement.

Some bikes have rubber grommets to keep vibration out of the bars and they move quite a bit.

Sorry for the side note folks, carry on.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It needs to be a gift or it wont work per the friend that gave me mine. Post your address. Maybe one of the fine members of this forum would oblige.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts