Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding in a group, do you have any pet peeves about the other riders? Mine is no cancelling their blinkers. Drives me insane and it isn’t that hard. I ride a V Star that has a self cancellation, but I still always cancel my signals.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
When they try to share the lane with me rather than stagger. I do not like a stranger riding right next to me at speed.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
I almost NEVER ride in a group. A few of my friends will ride together at times but we know each other riding habits. My yearly exception is when I go to Galveston for the Lone Star Rally. There is only one bridge onto the island from Houston. So you have thousands of bikers on the same road at the same time. I'm always on high alert for the last 20 miles. I always one of the first ones to leave so traffic isn't bad. Sounds like I don't like the Rally but I really do. Just not the ride in with strangers. It's like this coming into Galveston for 4 days. And yes that's a cow in the sidecar, remember this is Texas.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
When they try to share the lane with me rather than stagger. I do not like a stranger riding right next to me at speed.
I’ll agree with you in the “stranger” part. My best friend and military buddy and I have rode together for 20yrs. We can anticipate each other’s movements and in THAT situation I’m comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
13,048 Posts
just being obligated to watch out for them and ride at the same pace as others. there's a difference between riding with one other biker versus a group. with 2 of you, it feels nice to share the road with someone. with a group, i sometimes just feel a little trapped because i have to do what the others are doing. i can't notice as much of the scenery because i have to pay more attention to the spacing between me and the multiple people in close proximity to me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
There are too many to list so I no longer do group rides. I have more fun without extraneous annoyances. My lil bro is the only person I enjoy riding with because we are so much alike when it comes to motorcycles and riding. We have RIDDEN together for decades so we know each other's riding style.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I usually ride solo, not many group rides so this may be a few isolated incidents. When riding staggered I have also ridden off the back of the bike ahead of me in the other line. The last couple of group rides the 2 lines rode independent of each other, so there always bikes passing each other. May just be me but doesn't seem very safe, especially when there was several trikes in the group. The last time I ended up turning off, I just couldn't take it anymore.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I usually ride solo too but I did have the opportunity to go on 3 group rides last weekend. The group size was limited to 25 riders and it was organized by a local touring club. We had a leader, another club member halfway in the pack, and a third bringing up the rear. All were in communication with one another. Before we started they took the time to explain how to ride in the staggered position safely and I never had any issues being crowded or other riders riding beside me. We stayed in order after breaks so I was always riding with the same people around me and I got to learn their riding styles. It was also tricky staying together with such a big group but they picked routes that had less traffic and for the most part, other traffic respected us and let us stick together. Proper organization and prerunning the routes makes all the difference IMO.

One thing I really didn't like that much was not being able to chose my own route. When I go for a ride I often have no destination in mind, just going down whatever road I feel like taking. I set off last week thinking I might take a ride to the shore (about 20 miles) and I ended up going to another province and putting on 150 miles.

So I guess I like both. It's fun riding in a group, with the feeling of comradery it brings, but the complete freedom of setting out without any specific destination in mind is a strong pull too. This year I talked to a few members of the riding club that organized the runs during the Atlanticade Bike Rally and they told me I was welcome to join them. They really stress safety and they're mostly around my age so I may go on a ride with them and see what it's like with a smaller group. There's no obligation to go on every run so I can do solo runs and still have the option of group rides whenever I'm in the mood for one.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I go for a ride I often have no destination in mind, just going down whatever road I feel like taking. I set off last week thinking I might take a ride to the shore (about 20 miles) and I ended up going to another province and putting on 150 miles. - the complete freedom of setting out without any specific destination in mind is a strong pull too.
Sometimes if I need to ride but have zero destination in mind, I'm able to do a part of my business using my bike so I can go out and make $. Otherwise I generally just pick a direction and head that way and try to find the best south, east or... has to offer. I'm drawn to water so typically I'll end up riding around multiple of our 12,000 lakes or down the Mississippi River.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
^ ditto

when I get tired I sleep, when I get hungry I eat, when I gotta go... you know... I went.

I just feel like riding.

Its amazing what you find out there when you are not looking for anything in particular.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
^ ditto

when I get tired I sleep, when I get hungry I eat, when I gotta go... you know... I went.

I just feel like riding.

Its amazing what you find out there when you are not looking for anything in particular.
Amen! Some of the best rides I’ve had started with “I wonder where this road goes?” and then just exploring it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What I hate are the idiots who come flying by you in your lane, if you made any lane movement at all there would be one hell of a crash. Then you have the lane splitters who fly between two cars/trucks, again if there was any lane movement one hell of a crash would happen.

I am not to found of strangers who pull up next to me at red lights either.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Personally I always felt that group riding may be safer for stupid cagers as it's easier to see a group of bike better than a solo BUT I prefer riding in the staggered formation. If I have to avoid a pothole or roadkill, I have room. If you happen to have someone behind you that just has to ride up next to you or even pass you then slow up and go back. Hate that. I usually try to be last so I can control my distance. Oh and on distances, I like to keep mine some. My 1100 doesn't seem to be the quickest stopper. I use both front and rear brakes but somewhat nervous about too much front and I have locked up the rear. With such a small tire to road contact area, I try to add extra distance.

I do enjoy the solo ride as many have said. I sometimes have an idea of where I am going but then the sun and fresh air cause me to just go. My time, my speed, my enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I group ride with my club all of the time. We ride together so often we can get in a tight group and have no issues, by tight I mean with a normal 2 second 1 second rule for staggered bikes. When we have a new person ride with us we put them up front to the right of the leader, that way we can all watch him/her and the leader can take cues from that rider. If they do not ride as quick as we do (We stay within 5mph of the speed limit) or if they move around a lot in their lane etc etc. We always have a lead and a tail gunner and they always have communication. Our chapter is always asked to lead big rides out of the local dealerships, so we do put someone in the middle, if the group is too big we have enough of our club to make 2 groups. We have led as many as 60 bikes with little to no problem. I enjoy riding by myself or in our group. Of course no one rides perfect and if we want to ride in a group we just have to adjust.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have only ridden with one of my brother's or by myself. So I have to 'likes/dislikes' about group ridding.
However, I have been in bumper-to-bumper traffic. (I take the farthest outside lane of lanes when in the B2B traffic.) I have had a couple of bike riders pull into my lane. Without so much as a honk, rev of engine or making sure I saw them. Just showed up. And I gave them the W..T..F? (body gesture) And they gave me a thumbs up or no response at all.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I watch the video several times - they are all riding like idiots! WTH?!
Cannot agree more on this.
Riding 3 abreast ... Are you effing stupid?!
Squeezing by a on a car's left side and barely missing a biker on his right side? ... Are you effing stupid?!
Speeding on a LA freeway ... Are you effing stupid?!

In that short video I saw at least 10 riding mistakes. ... Just effing stupid!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts