Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went riding today and when I parked the bike I noticed an oily residue on the V Star 1100 carbs.

Does anyone have any idea where this leak might be coming from? The gunk is only on the carbs and the bike runs great worth no popping or anything.

I cleaned it off with degreaser and ran the bike but didn't notice any leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking too. The fittings that go into my crank vent collection bottle looked like they were leaking oil.

I'm going to definitely fix that before I go out again but I would like something better then the 3 hour energy bottle that's at the end of that hose.

I don't want to vent oil back into the pods and an aftermarket collection bottle is $100 so I'll have to see what other options I have.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i've seen that stealthy black paint job, there is a possilbility of the steel scrub pad being sucked back in the engine thats why plastic was recommended..plastic or steel i think the mist needs something to grab onto like porus
X2

Mine is basically the same as described in the previous post except, like Nick, I used plastic scrubbers as opposed to steel. I don't want either in my engine but given the choice I would prefer plastic over steel.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I threw my plastic scrubby away, did you use a particular brand or just any cheap scrubby?

Also do you ever have to drain your collection bottle at any time?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went to home Depot and all I could find to make that collector were the end caps. They had absolutely nothing there.

I was also thinking of maybe using white scotch brite pads instead of the plastic scrubby myself.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I just use a modified 5 Hour energy bottle. It's had white ScotchBrite in it for 5+ years and still working great. I get very little oil, if any on the top. It's plumbed to all drain back into the crank case when the bike is off. Gotta love gravity.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That's what I had is the energy bottle and it started to leak. I think some of the oil was maybe bypassing the plastic scrubby I had in there. But also the bottle was slightly melted and crinkled because of the engine heat which deformed it just enough to leak from the cap.

Sickmick....Did you fill your entire energy bottle with white scotch brite or did you just cut out a small circle out to put at the top of the bottle opening?

Edit...I uploaded some pics, you can see how out of shape and bent the bottle is and how there's oil around the fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It's pretty much full....not crammed in, but full. I cut circles and just started pushing them in until it was about 3/4 full.

It's zip tied to the upper frame rail to keep it clear of everything. Cap and street elbow have JB Weld sealing them up. Notice it is placed as high as it can go without touching the tank. The hoses all run downhill back into the vent. I think placement is important.

I have a nice aluminum vent can, but it needs to be emptied every once in a while.....this thing doesn't. Since no one can see it.....I don't really care about making it pretty...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts