Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
View attachment 90261 I know it's just a concept but it is interesting.The Harley Davidson Pan America that went on display at EICMA 2019 is still in concept form, but Harley has assured everyone it won’t be long till it’s in production (2021). Powered by an all-new 145hp/90Nm ‘Revolution-Max’ 1250cc v-twin it’ll pack plenty of off-road punch. As for similarities to anything else in the Harley range, it ends with the v-twin engine. The behemoth Pan America stands tall on USD forks and a mono-shock rear with purposeful off-road rubber. It’s capable of carrying all your cross-continent camping gear and has a large digital dash that we’d expect to have all your off-the-beaten-track navigation needs covered.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
from what I read, the bike is not made by HD

some company in India maybe?!

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is the story of the Street and Street Rod models that have Harley badges on them. They are essentially made in India and are a metric bike in every sense of the word. They are not bad motorcycles but certainly don’t follow the tradition of fit and finish that Harley-Davidson customers have become accustomed to. For these aforementioned models they also can not compare to performance of the other metric bike offerings especially so when you get to final cost column in the spread sheet but if you have to have a Harley you have to “pay the Harley tax”. The dual sport/adventure bike segment has some strong contenders in it as well as loyal customers, Harley better bring their “A game” with this bike.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I like the looks of the bike. As far as who makes it or where it is made..That does not mean much to me. I know HD has a loyal fan base and the people I know who have them love them. I think HD is recognizing the motorcycle market is changing rapidly. You do not see too many young people on the cruiser style of bike. It seems many manufacture's are phasing out the traditional cruiser style bike for the sport touring type. Could be just a reflection of the aging population...But when I look at that bike it reminds me of when I go snow skiing and I see all the young people on snowboards... It sure looks like fun but I think I am too old to give the off road style bikes a try...just like snow boarding

·
Registered
32 Posts
That’s good point Redbird58, plus I never once had the need to carry my stuff across a desert, parries or outback. If I did I would probably choose something specifically designed for the task rather than a compromise. But I hope it’s a hit for Harley because they need one. I would hate to see Harley-Davidson disappear.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
When I purchased my new 1978 Yamaha IT175 (enduro off road bike) I was lucky to be able to get one.
President Carter had signed a bill creating motorcycle trails in national parks and forests to spur the off road motorcycle industry.
The trails and riding thru the woods was so popular that dealers could not keep enduro bikes on hand - some were going for more than MSRP.

these trends come and go

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I purchased my new 1978 Yamaha IT175 (enduro off road bike) I was lucky to be able to get one.
President Carter had signed a bill creating motorcycle trails in national parks and forests to spur the off road motorcycle industry.
The trails and riding thru the woods was so popular that dealers could not keep enduro bikes on hand - some were going for more than MSRP.

these trends come and go
I believe your right about trends, Harley has been a trend setter for so long they have been slow to react to the “new trend” while their core ridership grew older and fewer in number. With that being said I really hate to see the cruiser styled bike go away, I love these dam things!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts