Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know, I have been wanting to get one of those h2 750 engines to do something with for awhile. He did a great job on that.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an H2 in the mid 80s and the motor was an awesome power plant. The spindly frame, forks and shocks made the bike scary AF to ride but that motor... it deserved a decent rolling chassis. Last year in May I was riding through southern Michigan on my way back home to The Loo and happened across a young dude on the highway riding a resurrected Suzuki GT750 WaterBuffalo (aka Kettle) that he turned into a 'ton up boys' style cafe... it was great to see the younger gen appreciate older bikes like that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That 2 cycle bike is way too small for the rider. His knees were up against his wrists. The second bike....I wonder how he can see in front of him? Ridiculous looking sissy bar. Just because a bike has been modified to look like an alien does not excite me.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I can appreciate the work put into those bikes, but not to my taste. I want a bike that is comfortable to ride for a long time. I do not want some show queen that I can start and drive around the block... maybe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like the way a good 2 stroke sounds, and runs. The H2 was a very fast bike in it's day. And if it was ported and piped, nothing would out run it. The problem with them was the carbs were at such an angle they would run out of fuel and the darned thing would burn pistons if it was run a WOT very long. My buddy had a couple of them, he had a 72 setup for drag racing and a 75 that he bought brand new. They really didn't sell very well, most guys just didn't like the exhaust note on them. I built up the intakes and milled them so the carbs could be fit on straight up and it made a big difference on the burning piston problem. Didn't help the 1/4 mile times though. I had a Yamaha RD350 for a while, it was pretty quick, but still wouldn't out run a good 650. My XS650 had a bigger carb, Hooker header, and much larger cam and that bike was pure evil. I had brass O O back in the day, wasn't scared of nothing, and rode the XS WOT a lot. Wouldn't even consider it today, I won't even go out of the drive without my helmet.:grin:

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... I had a Yamaha RD350 for a while, it was pretty quick, but still wouldn't out run a good 650. My XS650 had a bigger carb, Hooker header, and much larger cam and that bike was pure evil. I had brass O O back in the day, wasn't scared of nothing, and rode the XS WOT a lot. Wouldn't even consider it today, I won't even go out of the drive without my helmet.:grin:
With the right tuner/builder the RDs were very quick and fast and could handle like they're on rails because of their relatively light weight. But I just loved the XS650 and it was one of my favorite bikes to modify and race.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts