Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...got rear ended at a red light this afternoon while on the way to look at a windshield. Just another idiot playing on their damn phone instead of paying attention to what they're doing. I'm so damn mad right now. :mad:

The obvious damage is the bent rear fender and I'm hearing some odd noise when I'm riding. Dunno if there's any hidden damage yet, back hurts though. WTF does it take to get people to pay attention when they're driving??!!!???

On the plus side, I met NGM. Super nice guy with a pretty awesome other half. Good people.

Now for some beer and aleve and see about getting into urgent care for something better. I know this will be spasming tomorrow.

Y'all be freakin safe.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,893 Posts
That's a real bummer. Definitely take care of the back. The bike can be fixed easily but sometimes the body is a different story. Pretty cool you got to meet NGM, it wasn't him that hit you was it? Sorry MGN, Just had to ask that! ��

·
Super Moderator
3,293 Posts
Hope everything is all right, GreyWolf. Like les said, the bike can be easily fixed. Cool that you and NGM met up. Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,893 Posts

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
getting rear ended is one of the things Im most paranoid about.

I always stop in traffic with my bike pointed to the left of the car in front of me, about 10 feet back minimum.

If the car in front of me puts his car in reverse and the back up lights come on, or if I see a car in the mirrors that is not slowing down, Im out of there. I dont wait for the last second, as soon as I think I might be in danger I will be beside the car in front of me, and then some.

I would rather look like a total jack-ass playing it safe, than get rear ended and look like a pancake.

I cant do the Marty Feldman thing and point my eyes in different directions - sometimes you are looking at other risks and just dont see the guy coming in the rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ride naked
Not after the last time. Took forever for the road rash to heal.

getting rear ended is one of the things Im most paranoid about.

I always stop in traffic with my bike pointed to the left of the car in front of me, about 10 feet back minimum.

If the car in front of me puts his car in reverse and the back up lights come on, or if I see a car in the mirrors that is not slowing down, Im out of there. I dont wait for the last second, as soon as I think I might be in danger I will be beside the car in front of me, and then some.

I would rather look like a total jack-ass playing it safe, than get rear ended and look like a pancake.

I cant do the Marty Feldman thing and point my eyes in different directions - sometimes you are looking at other risks and just dont see the guy coming in the rear view mirror.
I'm with you on that. I always stop in the far left of my lane so I can dart around the drivers side if necessary. I watched this car pull up behind me and completely stop. I turned my attention to the light since it was about to change. She was apparently on her phone and let her foot off the brake. Had her phone in her hand when she got out and copped an attitude like I did something wrong, then kept trying to leave. "Oh nothing wrong, just a scratch." Yeah nice try.

that sucks. hope your back is ok.
It will be, thank you. I already went to the gym this morning to stretch it and see how it really is. Just aggravated with the whole mess and her attitude. Typical.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Once I see a car stopped behind me I feel a little more protected.

Driving cars I had a lady push me around the corner doing a right on red - I had creeped up so I could see better. She was behind me and looking to the left and decided she could go.

Have had other cars slide into the back of my "beater car" in the winter because they could not stop on the ice.

Hope it is just a bent fender.

I see people on their phones everyday when they are stopped at a light. They think since the car is stopped they are not driving: NO!

people need to be aware and alert all the time when their car is on the street and the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,577 Posts
...got rear ended at a red light this afternoon while on the way to look at a windshield. Just another idiot playing on their damn phone instead of paying attention to what they're doing. I'm so damn mad right now. /forums/images/smilies/mad.gif

The obvious damage is the bent rear fender and I'm hearing some odd noise when I'm riding. Dunno if there's any hidden damage yet, back hurts though. WTF does it take to get people to pay attention when they're driving??!!!???

On the plus side, I met NGM. Super nice guy with a pretty awesome other half. Good people.

Now for some beer and aleve and see about getting into urgent care for something better. I know this will be spasming tomorrow.

Y'all be freakin safe.
Wow GreyWolf, glad you’re ok! It could’ve been worse.
I’m with you other guys on stop tactics. I’ll sit in the left hand portion of the lane pointed around the car in front.
I watch people on the highway in front of me weaving, crossing lanes and unable to maintain steady speed. They look like a drunk driver, yet when you pull up and look, they’re on the stupid phone!! I probably shouldn’t but I yell at them to GET OFF THE PHONE & DRIVE IDIOT!
Seems harsh but who knows whose life I may be saving.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I get the emotion Chief - there are 7 billion people on earth

you will loose your voice screaming at all of them...

Expect people to be on their phones. Expect people to drive like there is no one in the car.

Then when you see it everyday you wont get upset, its just the way it is - and you cant fix it.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,577 Posts
I get the emotion Chief - there are 7 billion people on earth

you will loose your voice screaming at all of them...

Expect people to be on their phones. Expect people to drive like there is no one in the car.

Then when you see it everyday you wont get upset, its just the way it is - and you cant fix it.
I’m just curious if anybody but me carries a handful of steel bearings with them on their bike these days?
Yea, it’s “old school”.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I watch people on the highway in front of me weaving, crossing lanes and unable to maintain steady speed. They look like a drunk driver, yet when you pull up and look, they’re on the stupid phone!! I probably shouldn’t but I yell at them to GET OFF THE PHONE & DRIVE IDIOT!
Seems harsh but who knows whose life I may be saving.
I fully understand the yelling at cagers. I ride to and from work, rough 60 miles is on the highway/interstate. I probably yell this ... "GET OFF THE PHONE YOU [email protected]*KING IDIOT!" ... at least 4 times each way. Then the smile is back on my face.

Greywolf ... Glad this was a minor accident and you're ok.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fully understand the yelling at cagers. I ride to and from work, rough 60 miles is on the highway/interstate. I probably yell this ... "GET OFF THE PHONE YOU [email protected]*KING IDIOT!" ... at least 4 times each way. Then the smile is back on my face.

Greywolf ... Glad this was a minor accident and you're ok.
Thank you sir. I'm good enough.

I yell at cages too. It feels so right. :grin:

·
Registered
865 Posts
...got rear ended at a red light this afternoon while on the way to look at a windshield. Just another idiot playing on their damn phone instead of paying attention to what they're doing. I'm so damn mad right now. :mad:

Y'all be freakin safe.
What would help...are charges like Careless Driving, or Distracted Driving...which carries a fine of up to $10,000.00 in Ontario Canada. Just for having a hand-held device in your hand, will garner you a $560.00 fine in our Province. Mix that, with an O.P.P. (Official Party Pooper) cruiser about every 5 miles in the center of the highway....and pretty much, you're going to get nailed for that fine, sooner, than later. Also...it's being reported that even eating or sipping a coffee, behind the wheel, will garner you that Distracted Driving charge if caught doing so,...so beware, if you ever traverse, or visit Ontario, Canada. The government, provincial and federal, takes distracted driving, VERY SERIOUSLY up here....we know...but a lot of U.S. border citizens, don't...or simply are not sensitized enough to put down the phone, while driving...and get nailed----> big time, $$$.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
About 3 months ago I was filtering up between cars to the red light. Just before I got to the light I saw a girl on my right texting up a storm. I get to the light and a police officer was on my left. I wiggled my finger for him to lower his window and told him about the texter. When the light turned green he hesitated and when she went by he lite her up. I guess she was still texting when she went by him.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
If I could figure out a way to rig up a windshield washer bottle, pump and nozzle on my bike

and keep bright red enamel paint in it

so when I see a car going by the other way, with the driver looking down at a phone

I could spray a line of paint on the whole length of their car

I would.

they wouldnt see anything

whats this all over the side of my car?

I dont know! It looks like blood!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts