Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to Spread motorcycle handle bars and if so how?? as I thought I have read of people doing it.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Is it possible to Spread motorcycle handle bars and if so how?? as I thought I have read of people doing it.
I assume you want to increase the width. I have never read anything on this subject before but other than just muscle bending them into a wider shape I would think you could cut the bar in the exact middle and weld in a section. I would guess the added lwngth could match the riser spacing so the joints will be covered by the riser clamps. I've done some minor welding but not on anything chrome plated but my other guess is you need them rechromed after welding.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
LOL I don't trust my welding that much. You might look at "For Sale" section of the board for some "Beach Bars" or a swap meet as opposed to rebending or welding. Rebending can lead to fatigue cracks and the heat from welding can either harden (brittle) or soften the existing metal temper, not a good thing on your handlebars.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
LOL I don't trust my welding that much. You might look at "For Sale" section of the board for some "Beach Bars" or a swap meet as opposed to rebending or welding. Rebending can lead to fatigue cracks and the heat from welding can either harden (brittle) or soften the existing metal temper, not a good thing on your handlebars.
Yep - LOL, I wouldn't trust my welding either. But looking at all the drag bars out there, welding is pretty common in making handle bars. A good weldment gets preheated prior to welding to keep stresses to a minimum. I can picture a center extension made from a solid bar wtih short reductions in the diameter at both ends to fit inside the hollow handle bar. But I would defer to what ever a good welder recommends. Lucky for me, my next door neighbor makes his living as a welder...I plow the snow from his driveway every year for nothing ;)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I guess I was wondering what would have to be done to them after welding. Heating and oil quenching would bring back up the temper. LOL That's quite a deal you have there.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
LOL That's better than hunting for Easter Eggs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts