Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering changing the handlebars on my Vstar 1300. I feel like I'm reaching just a bit - and assume I will get tired of it.

I have read that many go with the RSTD bars. I have seen mention of getting them from SSCC or Barons. Just curious what the difference is between the two (if any).

As far as I can tell - the existing cables will work with the RSTD bars. Do the cable clips work as well? Anything else I would need to know about?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Having done business with both.....I'd highly recommend SSCC for anything motorcycle related. Shane will go out of his way to make sure you are satisfied with what you buy and will help with your purchase beforehand, just give them a call. He also does this FaceBook group....https://www.facebook.com/groups/1059019454162556/

Buying from the big guys like Baron's you won't get much if any help before, during or after the sale.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having done business with both.....I'd highly recommend SSCC for anything motorcycle related. Shane will go out of his way to make sure you are satisfied with what you buy and will help with your purchase beforehand, just give them a call. He also does this FaceBook group....https://www.facebook.com/groups/1059019454162556/

Buying from the big guys like Baron's you won't get much if any help before, during or after the sale.
Thanks. Is there any difference between the RSTD bars that they offer?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have no idea on the handlebars. But a call to SSCC will answer your question for sure.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
You might also want to consider risers...much easier and less expensive, and even a small change can make a big difference. I installed the smallest of the brand I wanted to use, the 2" size, and even that minor adjustment has relieved the tension across my shoulders.
I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGHUCA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is them on my 950:

Just an option for you. I like to have options :-D

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Nice thought, but on the 1300 the speedo is part of the riser.....so if you change risers you'd have to remove the speedo or have it covered up. Probably not the best idea....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice thought, but on the 1300 the speedo is part of the riser.....so if you change risers you'd have to remove the speedo or have it covered up. Probably not the best idea....

I wondered about risers. Wasn't sure how (or if) they would work with the speedometer. Didn't know if the speedo would "rise" with the bars and look goofy or what.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up ordering RSTD bars from SSCC. Talked to Shane on the phone and got good information. It took me about 2 hours (maybe 2.5) to get them changed and the new bars all buttoned up. I took my time (this was only my 2nd time changing handlebars). I sure could have used a 2nd set of hands a few times.

Anyway - I have only ridden a short distance with the new bars but it feels like I'm going to like them much better. I don't feel like I'm reaching anymore.

Road trip coming up will definitely let me know.

I was concerned my brake line was at it's limit with the new bars but I moved the master cylinder slightly and I think all is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I ended up ordering RSTD bars from SSCC. Talked to Shane on the phone and got good information. It took me about 2 hours (maybe 2.5) to get them changed and the new bars all buttoned up. I took my time (this was only my 2nd time changing handlebars). I sure could have used a 2nd set of hands a few times.

Anyway - I have only ridden a short distance with the new bars but it feels like I'm going to like them much better. I don't feel like I'm reaching anymore.

Road trip coming up will definitely let me know.

I was concerned my brake line was at it's limit with the new bars but I moved the master cylinder slightly and I think all is good.

Glad to hear you got it all done. .....and you also found out how great it is to deal with SSCC......

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
so you installed risers....on TOP of your risers? is that how they are supposed to be or just what you decided to do?
That's how they're designed; they slide into the stock risers, which are then tightened down on them, and then the handlebars clamp into these risers. The 'infinite' adjustment is in the fact that first, the new risers can be clamped down at a desired angle and, then, the angle of the handlebars can be adjusted in relation to the new risers. Easy-peasy and very effective. From the angle of the photo I posted it looks a little...unorthodox...but otherwise they don't look out of place on the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts