Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took a MSF course for riding slow, like in a parking lot. I ran into a couple of problems. 1. When the handlebar is turned as far as it can go in either direction, my one arm is extended as far as it will go and I have to lean forward a touch. 2. With the handlebar all the way to the right, the brake lever was getting tangled up with my knee. I’ve read that a RTSD handlebar should take care of both problems. (I can probably rotate the brake lever to fix the one problem.) Plus, it might help with the tingling I get in my right hand that I sometimes get. But, it is designed for a 1300. My question is; Has anyone installed a RTSD bar on a 950, and, if they did what problems, if any, did they run into?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same problem and I did install the RTSD bars from Barons and still never liked them. I put on a set of Harley Heritage bars and a set of risers 3 inch tall with 1.5 pullback and all new cables...expensive but it works for me. Bars were used 40.00, risers on Amazon 40.00. cables...Barons 300.00 + all CDN prices!!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keeshonden, I’m OK with my hand height. The Harley bar looks like a mini-ape. Although, if I understand things correctly, a three inch riser with some amount of pullback would solve a lot of the problems. That just leaves the width of the handlebars. I definitely think my handlebar is too wide for me. One of the problems is that I’m too new of a rider to have a good handle on the problem let alone knowing how to fix it. I’m willing to try the Baron bar. I’m just trying to understand any hidden costs, (like new cables), before I make that decision.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bevo1981, I’ve thought about that. I’ll probably give that a try. But, the handlebar hitting my knee seems to me to be only a small aspect of the problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
I did the same thing bevo did on my 950, problem solved and took about 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Trying a riser with pull back along with experimenting with handlebar adjustments first is definitely sound advice that I will follow. Now to figure out which riser to buy. ?

·
Super Moderator
3,291 Posts
Not sure of how the 950 cables are configured, but I just put 4.5" risers on my 1100 and I didn't have to replace any cables. I did have to reroute a couple, but that was minor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ordered
AEROMACH 4" HANDLEBAR RISERS FOR V-STAR 650/950/1100
AEROMACH
PART NO: AM4130C
from meancycles.com. Their site said I would have to re-route the cables. I’m hoping the install is as easy as they claim.

·
Super Moderator
3,291 Posts
I'd never done it before and with rerouting the cables it took me just over an hour. I just had to do the clutch and choke cables and mine are 4.5". Hopefully the 950 is similar and you won't have any issues. One tip - leave the bolts loose on the triple tree and snug down the handlebars first. It makes it easier to line the risers up so they're square and your handlebars aren't crooked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bevo1981,
Can you publish a photo of the front half of your bike (side view), clearly showing the risers?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently took a MSF course for riding slow, like in a parking lot. I ran into a couple of problems. 1. When the handlebar is turned as far as it can go in either direction, my one arm is extended as far as it will go and I have to lean forward a touch. 2. With the handlebar all the way to the right, the brake lever was getting tangled up with my knee.
Two things. Scoot forward so you have more play in your arms.
Second, and most importantly, scoot your butt to the outside of the turn, so the bike is leaning and you aren’t.
That will gain you more reach on the forward grip, get your knee away from the rearward grip, and keep you balanced on the bike.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pilotalan, Thanks for your response. What you described is pretty much what the class was about. Using the rear brake and the friction zone to go very slow and counter balancing in U turns. It was during the U turn exercises I ran into the trouble. I’m certainly not saying I mastered the technique, but, if I can eliminate the problem by installing a riser and/or a new handlebar then I’m down with that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
HaroldRay;966568It was during the U turn exercises I ran into the trouble. I’m certainly not saying I mastered the technique said:
I had the same problem, it was because I wasn't getting my butt off to the side enough (not saying that's your issue, just that it was mine).
No one else knows what your measurements are, or how your bike feels to you. You have to live with her, so do what works for you.

I'm glad you're doing good training, and taking it seriously. Look for MSF courses near you and see if there are any ranges nearby.
There's one near work, and another one in the stadium parking lot near home. I hit them at least once a week and practice the whole course on the painted markings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pilotalan, there are MSF courses taught nearby. Unfortunately, they are held at a small airport caged in lot. I don’t have access except when I take a class. I have a farmers market close by that closes early afternoon. I go there to practice. No cones or painted course, but, I can still practice driving slow and u-turns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts