Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some days I kind of like the handlebar tassels / braids I see on different bikes and some days I kind of think maybe they look a little goofy.

I was wondering if any of you have thoughts or opinions on them. I realize it is a personal preference but what you y'all think?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Nope, not for me. A riding buddy has one of those braided whip things hanging from his clutch lever. It keeps bouncing off the road and flying back. That would drive me nuts.

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Not my style, but that's just me.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Nope, not for me. A riding buddy has one of those braided whip things hanging from his clutch lever. It keeps bouncing off the road and flying back. That would drive me nuts.
He had what's called a GET BACK WHIP!

What is a “Get Back Whip”? ... The*Get Back Whips*are typically made of braided leather and a snap on the end and vary in length from 24″ t0 48″. The*Get Back Whips*attach to the lever or clutch of the*bike. They can be used to tell a car to GET BACK! if they too close. Or maybe a vehicle could see you because of the whip is flapping in the breeze.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah, he explained what it was.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
^ balloons with ends tied to the forks sounds like a harley

I dont need tassels. My bikes have speedometers.

I did use them on my sailboats, you use them to trim the sails - they are called "tell-tales".

When the tell-tales "act up" your sail is stalled.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ balloons in tied to the forks sounds like a harley

I dont need tassels. My bikes have speedometers.

I did use them on my sailboats, you use them to trim the sails - they are called "tell-tales".

When the tell-tales "act up" your sail is stalled.

I try to learn something new every day. And now I have! Anything else that comes up today is gravy!

·
Registered
155 Posts
So I will admit that I added the clutch/and brake tassels on my bike. When I bought my bike, someone added leather fringe around the saddlebags and the tassels just seemed to go with it. They are short enough that they do not hit my hands. I like the unique look of my bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some days I kind of like the handlebar tassels / braids I see on different bikes and some days I kind of think maybe they look a little goofy.

I was wondering if any of you have thoughts or opinions on them. I realize it is a personal preference but what you y'all think?

I've always thought long bar grip tassels look ostentatious. The only motorcycles I've ever seen where they look even slightly cool is on old Indian motorcycles. They are impractical as hell since they will whip your arms in the wind, but I'm also a firm believer in a rider dressing their bike to please them, not onlookers. If you like something, who cares what others think?

All that being said, my other bike (A Honda VTX 1300) has a 'less is more' approach to the tassel look with the 3 inches of grip braid I left hanging. Not enough to whip my arms or look like I'm trying to be an American Indian Chief, but enough to accent the leather grips.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts