Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 V-Star 1300 tourer
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am really at a crossroads here and could use some advice. I have a 2009 vstar 1300. Like most ppl have done, I want to switch out the handlebars. Here are my choices. Rstd bars, nostalgia bars, 950 tourer bars or post 2010 1300 bars. I am sort of leaning towards going stock because I am concerned about the cable re routing. Can anyone who has changed out their bars give me some advice please. Pics would be awesome too. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,857 Posts
Use a handle bar site that lists the measurements of each bar. Here's a sample:

You can usually go 3.5 to 4 inches in higher or wider bars without cable issue other than having to reroute them. Hopefully someone who has completed your proposed sway will furnish pictures. Are you wanting to pull the bars up or back? Risers will normally give you a totally different feel with a lot less work, it's how I did it.

·
Registered
2009 V-Star 1300 tourer
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am looking to pull them back closer to me. I have rotated the stock bars to a semi comfortable position so I am not leaning in but I figure that will get old quick. How were you able to use risers with the speedo the way it is?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,857 Posts

·
Registered
2009 V-Star 1300 tourer
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Looks like I have some googling to do now. Thanks again

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
2008 1300 Tourer
108 Posts
I recently put new ones on my 1300, they brought them closer to me as well as my hands are now closer together and not so spread out. A more relaxed position. Barons RSTD bars on eBay. Same cables used. I was really concerned I wasn’t going to be happy with the new bars and omg what a difference. I have a feeling of better control especially at low speed turns and with the bars being back more I have a more of a sit back in the seat position. Wish I did this sooner!

·
Registered
2009 V-Star 1300 tourer
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered a set of the Barons last night, picked up barons RSTD bars and avon air cushion grips, got them off of Fortnine in Canada, free shipping. Should be here soonish. After all the reviews i hear from everyone I figure I should like them. I have been riding my 1300 since i picked it up last month. I had rotated the bars upwards, they were better but not great. Took my sons Volusia out the other day and realized how much i was "leaning" into the handlebars on the 1300. I am 6'1" so it wasnt terribly uncomfortable by any means but when I had the Volusia I was able to lean back much further. So, here's to hoping that I really like the change. Figure I will take pics of the changeover when I do it, maybe post it here for others to see.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I will try to play match maker here. There is another thread where @Pohio is looking to change bars possibly on a 950. Maybe you @cslang77 could document the steps on your 1300 and pass that along to @Pohio ....people helping people...Thats what makes this forum so great!

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
2009 V-Star 1300 tourer
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like a good idea, once mine arrive I will do that. I have changed handlebars on bikes before, most of mine had had the speedo intergrated with the tank or mounted differently like on my old KLR...i was toying with the idea of just getting bars for a 950 but it they weren't cheap and i was unsure if they would be right for me...

Reactions: Redbird58

·
Registered
2017 VStar 1300 Tourer
7 Posts
I did the conversion a few years ago. I have a 1300 and the original bars were a major pain in my upper back. I'm 5'6" so my reach is narrower than average. I bought the RSTD bars from Amazon ($180 Canadian) and it was a hassle free install, no modifications of any kind. The RSTD bars are 3" narrower and 3" more pullback which was a perfect fit for me, no more pain whatsoever.

·
Registered
2009 V-Star 1300 tourer
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the conversion a few years ago. I have a 1300 and the original bars were a major pain in my upper back. I'm 5'6" so my reach is narrower than average. I bought the RSTD bars from Amazon ($180 Canadian) and it was a hassle free install, no modifications of any kind. The RSTD bars are 3" narrower and 3" more pullback which was a perfect fit for me, no more pain whatsoever.
that's great to hear, the more i hear from ppl doing the changeover the more i am convinved I made the right decision. Now it's just a waiting game, expected delivery is between the 15 and 26 of April.

Reactions: Cajun Injun

·
Registered
97 Posts
All my Star bikes have needed different bars than stock. Without exception, the RSTD bars turned out to be the best fit. Two RoadStars (first one wrecked after owning it 48 days) and my '15 1300CT have had them. My '09 950T had them, and I tried the stock 950T handlebars I had removed from the bike on my 1300, but it was a no go.
I recently put new ones on my 1300, they brought them closer to me as well as my hands are now closer together and not so spread out. A more relaxed position. Barons RSTD bars on eBay. Same cables used. I was really concerned I wasn’t going to be happy with the new bars and omg what a difference. I have a feeling of better control especially at low speed turns and with the bars being back more I have a more of a sit back in the seat position. Wish I did this sooner!

Reactions: Cajun Injun
1 - 12 of 12 Posts