Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up my first bike, a 2001 1100 classic. I am a taller guy, about 6'5" and the bars end up hitting my knees when I turn the bars (stock). This doesn't happen on my buddies softail. I am looking to extend the floor boards about 4 inches forward, which thanks to searching the forums I found the brackets for that. I also came across a super radius drag bar and was wondering if these would have more of a clearance the the stock bars? Any opinions are welcome, my knowledge on bikes is limited. Thank you!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would go with a 5 or 6 inch extension. I'm about 6'3 and went with the 5, definitely could have went 6.

As for the bar, can't help you there - never had drag bars.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recently picked up my first bike, a 2001 1100 classic. I am a taller guy, about 6'5" and the bars end up hitting my knees when I turn the bars (stock). This doesn't happen on my buddies softail. I am looking to extend the floor boards about 4 inches forward, which thanks to searching the forums I found the brackets for that. I also came across a super radius drag bar and was wondering if these would have more of a clearance the the stock bars? Any opinions are welcome, my knowledge on bikes is limited. Thank you!
I have the same bike except a few years younger and im just a tad shorter than you 6'3" I had the same exact issue but I didnt want to extend the floor boards because that would have caused an issue with my highway bar. Easiest fix and it took 5 minutes. Loose the handlebars and tilt them forward. I tilted them pretty far forward and they dont even come close to my knees anymore.

After finding the right spot youre going to have to adjust your hand controls as they are going to be facing more upward that you may find comfortable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any highway pegs on the bike, I should maybe look into those instead of moving the boards. I will definitely try rotating the bars up, that would be a lot better then buyin all new bars , thanks for the info!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am only 5'10". I not sure how anyone rides these bikes with the floor boards in the stock position. The first thing I did after getting the bike home was to order 5" extentions. These were super easy to install and made a huge difference in comfort. I would highly recommend extending the floor boards.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
318 Posts
I suggest installing a set of risers for your handlebars. They come in a variety of heights and setbacks. These would enable your hands to hold the bars in a more natural position than if you were to simply rotate the bars upward. You may have to reroute or even extend the cables and lines if you go beyond their inherent limits.
Anything you can do to perfect bike-fit is well worth the time and effort required to do so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts