Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. I have a 2007 V Star 650 Classic Silverado
I would like to install hard saddlebags and a tour pack.
If you have a bike like mine, what do you suggest for hard bags and a tour pack that will fit without too much modification?
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40
244 Posts
Hard bags might conflict with the tour pack, I would keep these soft ones if I were you. I have "semi soft" Viking bags on my 950, and I can't open them all the way because of my tour pack, but I barely even use them because my tour pack is so huge. I have a genuine Harley King Tour-Pak on my bike, it is by far the best.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've used these bags for three years now and about 60000 km (36000 miles) - they've held up well - they are about as large as you can go on a 650 Classic. They open from inside out - easy to install - all hardware included - key locking type. I added silver heat reflecting tape to the bottom of the right bag which I mounted first to keep about 1" clearance above the exhaust. The supplied mounts help keep the mounting rigid.

You get them here. Universal HL Hard Saddlebags - Matte Black – Mutazu Inc.

·
Registered
244 Posts
^ If the tour pack is too wide, the type of saddle bags that open from the inside out will not work at all.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,182 Posts
The inside opening saddlebags open without an issue with tour pack and gives great access to bag. You only need about 3 inches clearance to operate. Sorry for poor video, it’s freezing out and hard to do one handed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The inside opening saddlebags open without an issue with tour pack and gives great access to bag. You only need about 3 inches clearance to operate. Sorry for poor video, it’s freezing out and hard to do one handed.

Wow, those are nice, double swivel hinge I guess? What brand are they, original Harley?

·
13,182 Posts
Wow, those are nice, double swivel hinge I guess? What brand are they, original Harley?
Yes, OEM Harley. There are several aftermarket made the same way.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I installed Viking hard bags. Work great for me.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
13,182 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Now you guys are going to make me spend more money, lol! My Viking semi soft bags will not open all the way because if the tour pack overlap, so I might get the Harley knock offs.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do Viking also have the "double swivel" hinge setup like the Harleys that Lesblank posted?
No just regular piano style hinge.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Automotive exterior

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yep, with regular hinge it would conflict with my tour pack for sure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lesblank, I assume the video of the Harley bags you posted, they are installed on a Harley?

·
13,182 Posts
Lesblank, I assume the video of the Harley bags you posted, they are installed on a Harley?
Yes, it’s on my bike. I think @Jaguartech put HD bags on his Vstar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try Tsukayu.com They make good quality bags and a trunk/tour pak plus mounting hardware. They will paint to match if you like. Pricey, but I think worth it in the long run.

Mutatsu.com has some bags that look close to the hard bags sold by Yamaha. Inexpensive, but not as good as Tsukayu

Vikingbags.com has some great choices. They also have a number of tailbags to choose from. Good prices as well and They often offer good deals.

Daniel

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have Viking bags on my 650 classic. The doors open outward. I also have the trunk. I splurged and got the removable locking rails so I can take my side bags off. Expensive, but I would do it again without hesitation.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hardbags, fairings and tourpaks on a 650 is a waste.
The bike is not made for touring and if you are going to spend money, save it, sell or trade in your 650 and get an actual touring bike with the accessories already on the bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hardbags, fairings and tourpaks on a 650 is a waste.
The bike is not made for touring and if you are going to spend money, save it, sell or trade in your 650 and get an actual touring bike with the accessories already on the bike.
SHHHHH!!!!!! Don't tell those folks that put thousands of miles on their 650's touring all over the State's, it will come as a shock and a disappointment that the 650 can't handle it.

And yeah, I ended up getting a SVTC, but some folks won't be comfortable with the extra weight of a full touring bike. I say dress-up the 650 and find out if a touring bike is what you actually want. What the heck did people tour on before liter bikes became all the rage?

Daniel

1 - 20 of 31 Posts