Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hardbags, fairings and tourpaks on a 650 is a waste.
The bike is not made for touring and if you are going to spend money, save it, sell or trade in your 650 and get an actual touring bike with the accessories already on the bike.
That is the beauty of the removable side cases. The rack is universal...so, if I change bikes...take it all with me. While I will agree that the 650 is not always happy where I ride it (70-80mph on interstates), it has always gotten me from point a to point b...touring can be done on almost any bike. I've done 700 mile days on my 07 Ninja 250. Minus sore knees...my knees are bad....I had a ball.

·
Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40
244 Posts
The bike is not made for touring and if you are going to spend money, save it, sell or trade in your 650 and get an actual touring bike with the accessories already on the bike.
I strongly disagree. A dressed up cruiser often makes a better tourer than a dedicated tourer. I never tested the 650, mine is a 950, but to my knowledge they are relatively similar. I equipped mine with tour pack, bags, and a custom made seat - and now I can ride two up for hours. Yes, it is not as powerful as 1800 CC tourers, but it is also a good 250lbs lighter, which is absolutely HUGE. Dedicated tourers often weight over 900lbs, which becomes 1400lbs two up, and it is just far too much to manage anywhere but the open highway. And as an added bonus, even with all the mods, mine is still substantially cheaper than comparable tourers.

Yes, it takes some $ and effort to get it right, but it is absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
There is a big difference riding a heavyweight touring bike vs a smaller lightweight bike.
The ride is a lot smoother, can carry a heavy load and can 2 up at the same time without the worry of bottoming out, breaking something or blowing the engine up trying to keep up.
You don't notice the bike is heavier either.
I have owned, ridden and toured a lot of bikes.

Back in the day, touring used to be done on CB 750s, Nortons, Triumphs, Harleys, Honda Aspencades.
Speed limits were only 55 also in the USA back then so technically you could tour on a 400cc bike.

Now our limits are 70 to 80 mph which means you have to have reserve power to get out of the way and to keep up with traffic.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't know what you mean by a "tourpak". Is that another name for a Top Case? In any event - I disagree. It always comes to down to what you want and how you use your bike. My 650 was my daily commuter and grocery-getter. Since I commute on it winter and summer, the batwing fairing and fork deflectors were a big help when started getting below freezing. My standard carry in one saddle bag holds: a Dynaplug inflator with Ultralite repair kit, a Wera tool set, Plexus, a microfiber cloth in a ziplock, Abus Granit Sledg 77 Disk Brake Lock and, my Olympia Rain Suit (I may be forgetting some stuff). That pretty much fills up one of my Viking Hard bags all the time. That leaves me with the 2nd saddlebag and my Givi V56NN 56 Liter Top Case for when I go grocery shopping. So, I not only disagree, I vehemently disagree that hardbags, fairings and, tourpaks (?) on a 650 are a waste.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't know what you mean by a "tourpak". Is that another name for a Top Case? In any event - I disagree. It always comes to down to what you want and how you use your bike. My 650 was my daily commuter and grocery-getter. Since I commute on it winter and summer, the batwing fairing and fork deflectors were a big help when started getting below freezing. My standard carry in one saddle bag holds: a Dynaplug inflator with Ultralite repair kit, a Wera tool set, Plexus, a microfiber cloth in a ziplock, Abus Granit Sledg 77 Disk Brake Lock and, my Olympia Rain Suit (I may be forgetting some stuff). That pretty much fills up one of my Viking Hard bags all the time. That leaves me with the 2nd saddlebag and my Givi V56NN 56 Liter Top Case for when I go grocery shopping. So, I not only disagree, I vehemently disagree that hardbags, fairings and, tourpaks (?) on a 650 are a waste.
Tourpak is a top case that doubles as a back rest for a passenger usually.

Load that dinky 650 down with accessories and bags full then jump on the freeway and try to keep up without getting run over at 80 mph. (that is actually 90 because nobody drives the speed limit)
650 is not designed for that.
The frame is small, the shaft drive is puny and robs power immensely.
The brakes are small and the rear is a drum.

Using it locally and sticking to the low speed in town roads is plausible.

It is a beginners entry level cruiser style bike. Nothing more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try Tsukayu.com They make good quality bags and a trunk/tour pak plus mounting hardware. They will paint to match if you like. Pricey, but I think worth it in the long run.

Mutatsu.com has some bags that look close to the hard bags sold by Yamaha. Inexpensive, but not as good as Tsukayu

Vikingbags.com has some great choices. They also have a number of tailbags to choose from. Good prices as well and They often offer good deals.

Daniel
I just got the vinyl covered Jumbo Strong saddlebags and trunk for my 950. Came with all hardware for a relatively easy install. Bags work great with trunk. Here's a pic of the setup.
Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Window Automotive tire

I thought about getting them painted to match, but the red is a two-part paint and it was going to be very pricey. Bags feel very sturdy. I originally had the OEM quick release sissy-bar and luggage rack. Install of the new Ultimate seat, saddlebags (I got the quick-release that don't require drilling) and trunk took about an hour or so. Hardest part was getting the two trunk supports even. A center stand or other means to hold the bike upright would have helped a lot with that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got the vinyl covered Jumbo Strong saddlebags and trunk for my 950. Came with all hardware for a relatively easy install. Bags work great with trunk. Here's a pic of the setup.
I thought about getting them painted to match, but the red is a two-part paint and it was going to be very pricey. Bags feel very sturdy. I originally had the OEM quick release sissy-bar and luggage rack. Install of the new Ultimate seat, saddlebags (I got the quick-release that don't require drilling) and trunk took about an hour or so. Hardest part was getting the two trunk supports even. A center stand or other means to hold the bike upright would have helped a lot with that.
Those look nice! I always liked the way the Tsukayu bags looked on the V-Stars. Travel well!

Daniel

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those look nice! I always liked the way the Tsukayu bags looked on the V-Stars. Travel well!

Daniel
Thanks! I'm looking forward to my first road trip. Big improvement over the Matuzo RS bags that were on the bike when I bought it. Matuzo bags weren't awful, but the way the latch was oriented, when it rained water would go in the key slot and work its way into the bag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used these bags for three years now and about 60000 km (36000 miles) - they've held up well - they are about as large as you can go on a 650 Classic. They open from inside out - easy to install - all hardware included - key locking type. I added silver heat reflecting tape to the bottom of the right bag which I mounted first to keep about 1" clearance above the exhaust. The supplied mounts help keep the mounting rigid.

You get them here. Universal HL Hard Saddlebags - Matte Black – Mutazu Inc.

what is the brand of the fairing?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts