Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Building another vstar, this time a full hardtail...not just the rigid bar in place of the shock. Had a friend help me do the frame and finally doing the rest of it now. Sportster tank. Lowered the front end, fake oil tank for the electronics.
Waiting for the fender before I decide on the seat and foot location.
Currently working on a stainless single carb manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to take away from the monsterous effort you have and will be putting into this, but why a hardtail?
Why not? Lol I think bobbers look weird having a normal suspension and then on top of that a sprung seat. Plus, the swingarm on a 650 is massive and removing it clears up so much space.

To each their own, I have 2 other 650s, a chopper that's rigid and low and a cruiser with a big fairing. Both are great in their own ways and some people like one and hate the other. I wanted to do something a little different too this time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cool. I think it'll look good.

I've never ridden a hard tail motorcycle and I wonder about how it would feel without rear suspension, especially without springs under the seat. How long can you ride it before getting too sore or is it mainly for show?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Had to read up on riding hardtail bikes.

Many early MCs were hardtails with sprung seats. The thing is: people did not ride on interstate highways at 85mph in 1940.

Sounds like it can skip sideways a bit on turns and curves if the road is not flat, and if the road is bumpy the back tire comes off the ground easily, esp at highway speeds. It doesnt take much of a road angle change to launch the bike at 80mph.

Its a big step to making a motorcycle that is as simple as possible - sounds like fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I think it'll look good.

I've never ridden a hard tail motorcycle and I wonder about how it would feel without rear suspension, especially without springs under the seat. How long can you ride it before getting too sore or is it mainly for show?
My one vstar is a hardtail but just with a rigid bar. No sprung seat or anything. Just takes some getting used to. It's a long and low chopper so not a bike to travel with but going anywhere within a 100 miles isn't bad.

·
Registered
200 Posts
awesome. This will be great to watch you build. It looks agressive right now with the fat naked tires and design choices thus far. I like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts