Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't understand why Harley riders have attitudes like they do. Now before I get too far into this rant, I want to make it clear that this doesn't fit all Harley rider profiles. This is just a general observation from my experiences with them. Some Harley dudes are cool enough, they don't care that you are on a "jap" bike. I have ridden a lot of miles with guys on Harley Davidson motorcycles, but some of them will not give you the time of day. Sometimes they are a lot worse than that. I have had some guys tell me that if I park my "jap bike" anywhere near their baby, they will kick it the hell over. My reply, of course, is that a monkey wrench makes a fine body re-molding tool. But why the attitude? I have had others just ignore me completely, like we were in high school and I told on them for sticking gum under the desk or something. Just this past weekend, a Harley rider, with his woman, turned his back on my buddy and me just as soon as we pulled up. No head nod, finger wave or anything, just his patch on his jacket. Don't get me wrong, when they act like that it lets me know I didn't want to know them in the first place. Where does the mental superiority come from? Is it the crap-ton of money they spend on a less reliable, and sometimes slower motorcycles? Is it secret jealousy? I personally do not want a Harley because of the horrendous vibrations all through the bike. I just do not understand the brand bashing. Are they not all motorcycles? Do we "jap bike" riders not deal with the same dangers, thrills, and basic overall enjoyment that comes with being on two wheels? Maybe some dudes are just bastards, and they let it come out even more when they are out on their "hog" so they can maintain the "bad assness" they have built up in their own mind. But, as we all know, they just make themselves look like douche bags. The only negative experiences I have had, in all my years of riding, have been from a few Harley Davidson riders. I would be willing to bet that if any of you have had negative experiences from fellow riders, that they were on a Harley. Final question, why can't they ride without wearing Harley clothing? They look like rolling advertisements.

·
Super Moderator
5,998 Posts
This sounds similar to some of my posts from the past. It’s important to note that not all Harley riders display this negative attitude, however every negative biker experience I’ve ever had involved a Harley rider. Upon attending a bike night a few years ago, I proudly backed my Yammy next to a Harley. I nodded to the owner and he asked what I was riding, I happily told him and he stated that he was going to knock me and my bike over. At this point I explained to him in terms he could understand that I was an off duty LEO, and that I’d be more than happy to introduce him to my two best friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson if he so much made a move towards me. He quickly left without incident. Now I don’t like being that way, but you’re not gonna bully me for my choice of ride.
I asked a former partner of mine who became a Harley salesman why some Harley riders display this attitude. He told me because Harley’s are American made bikes and the best bike on the planet giving them a ‘right’ to act that way. Interesting I said, because several Harley parts are made in Japan, ie wiring harnesses.
All in all we’re riders and should respect all other riders, however it does make you scratch your head dealing with this kind of negative attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I've never run into such blatant disrespect. Occasionally a Harley rider doesn't give me the biker the wave (usually a member of the local mc club), which really doesn't bother me. I've met a few while out riding and even rode with a few last summer. I mentioned to one of them that I'd love to own a Harley but couldn't justify the higher price. He just said there's nothing wrong with riding a Yamaha, and that he had one himself and loved it. He actually said that Harleys were indeed overpriced and that he sometimes wished he still had his Yammie (especially when he has to take it in for service).

I dunno, maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Anyway, the weather is warm enough for a ride and I have the day off. I'll be out there enjoying the weather and waving to other riders, even if they are on a Harley, sportbike, scooter, or moped. See ya!

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Its called Necrophobia.

No wait... Xenophobia. Plain and simple.

BTW, my maternal grandfather had a HD in the 1920s. I was going to get one 5 years ago when I got my license. Dealer would not let me take a bike for test ride, in spite of my MSF license and $3300 in cash in my pocket.

That was the end of that.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It's the same type of people that will try to offend you for any reason: the bike you ride, the clothes you wear, your look, you name it. They think they are patriots and you are not because of this or that. You cannot change that attitude just like people's stupidity so why bother.

I personally switched to Harley just because I always wanted one and happened to run across a good deal. But my first bike was Yamaha Stryker and it was a great bike! I wave to every biker. I do not care for brands or makes. And I don't care if someone does not like my choices as long as they keep a distance.

Very funny thing happened to me a couple months ago when I was riding my wife's 650 Custom. A couple of HDs were approaching on the opposite lane and they both tried to wave me (it was a sunset, kind of dark and hard to see), but as soon as they realized I'm not on a Harley they both drew their hands back so quickly it was hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing under my helmet! It actually made my day!

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Ive never had any problems riding my Vstar in NY, PA, Canada

But I have considered if Im going to take longer trips, like the Blue Ridge Parkway, I think I will invest the extra $35 per year and get a veterans license plate.

I have never worn my veterans status on my shirt sleeve (as it were) but for the people we are talking about who would cause us grief, that might be the holy grail to buy me a pass (in spite of my plate being from NY).

I can just see their internal struggle: Kick it over, its not a Harley.. but it has veterans plates.. but its from NY... but but but but (head explodes).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I routinely ride with a buddy that has both a HD and a small Kawi. His philosophy is if it has two wheels, you're good. I have caught myself laughing, thinking about the different attention I get between riding my 1100 and my Raider. 1100 all murdered out and aftermarket pipes, it's hard to tell what it is unless you can see my speedo or I move my feet off the floorboards to see the tuning forks. Other bikes I meet will waive without hesitation, sitting at stoplights beside a big HD tourer and the guy will be giving me the side eye trying to figure out what he is looking at and listening to to know if he should properly acknowledge me.
The Raider is a little easier to tell from the distance that its not HD, especially since she is still bone stock.
While it could be just me only noticing things more on the 1100 (Raider is a little more of a relaxed ride) or it could be the other riders attitudes/behaviors.
Anyway about it, I try to remember that I am out there for my enjoyment and let them have the higher cost sorrows all to themselves. haha.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I get a very different situation.

When Im riding I always have all my gear on. The only part of "me" that anyone can see is my 16"+ pony tail, if its not tucked in my jacket.

Way too many young guys have stopped next to me at a light, big smile on their face "thats a really nice bike!" big smile.... big smile...

I can tell they think Im a hot MC chick on a cruiser bike.

I just nod and ride off.d

When I stop somewhere and take off my helmet, I can see the look on some guys faces, their face kinda drops..... like: Dam!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've seen this type of attitude but luckily where I live in Upstate SC, it seems very rare. I ride with buddies that own H-Ds, I attend the local bike nites, take rides in areas commonly traveled by biker groups and don't seem to have any issues. Even some of my devoted Harley friends let me ride with them and have that same attitude as AlphaOmega's friend - if it has 2 wheels, you're good. My 1100 Silveraldo was de-badged when I got it. I did once have a guy tell me I de-badged it so everyone would think I had a Harley. I laughed and said "If I wanted and spent the money for a real Harley, do you really think I'd take the badges off? Besides anyone who owns a Harley can look at this and instantly tell it's not a Harley" Kinda shut him up. I bought my '05 1100 in 2015 with 17K miles for $2000. I know people that spent that much on their Harley for a service at H-D. It's an exclusive club (well maybe not that exclusive) just like other clubs. Drive a Z-06 Corvette to a high end sports car event and see the Ferrari and Lambo guys stick their noses up but on the track, that Corvette does a pretty good job. Guess I've never been a brand-whore. In fact, I kinda shy away from name brands with higher prices and look for quality and value.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've always figured that if you're on two wheels it doesn't matter the make of the bike ,as long as you're out there riding and enjoying yourself. I always wave at other bikers and most wave back. The ones that don't wave are the Harley Pirates, you have seen them, assless chaps, bandanna, fringe, well you know , they look like pirates. Those guys and the scooter riders NEVER wave back. Maybe the scooter guys don't think they are worthy, and the pirates think they are too cool ? I don't know, but I wave anyway.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Some people are just d1cks!

It doesn't matter if they are on a Harley, a sport bike, or a Schwinn 10 speed. They just have an outlook that if ride or drive something other then the same make as mine. You are below me.

These are the same people that look at a Sportster 883 and call it a girl's bike. To me, they are just mental knuckle-draggers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would be funny is if all these mental cases that buy a Harley because it's American, drive Toyotas and Hondas as regular vehicles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Harley was built on this attitude. Plain and simple. Harley was never about just riding a motorcycle. It was about being apart of a brotherhood and lifestyle. When you get a Harley you were seen as superior to any other rider. You were a true patriot. I'll be honest, I'd rather have a Harley for multiple reasons. But....I love my jap bike and I have never had any true encounters with Harley riders that were unfavorable. I have friends and people I know that joke with me about riding a jap bike but never anything that was hurtful and I always reply with "at least I can ride without having to bring extra oil."

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
i like when they wave and don't realize i'm on a silverado 650 classic until they pass, happens a lot too. they get this look on their face that's just too funny when they realize the mistake they just made

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
it's a superiority complex. and it's been ingrained into our psyche for decades. Harleys are for badasses, and pansies ride everything else. especially since the 1970s. here are some Harley ads and images from that time period:

and just look at motorcycle gangs. what are they ALL riding? most of them don't allow anything other than Harleys into their organization. now look at some ads of other bikes from the past.

see a difference here? then there's movies, TV, and pretty much everywhere else where motorcycles were shown or talked about. so while riding a Harley certainly doesn't make someone a jerk or give them an excuse, i can see why you don't always "meet the nicest people" on them.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's not so much the riders as the company itself and the dealerships that I have issues with. I rarely have to contend with the offensive HD owners since I'm actually on the road and not at their local bars where most of them tend to congregate.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Most of charley davidisons electrical, brakes, forks, chrome, fuel parts and accessories are manufactured overseas somewhere. Just because its assembled in USA does not make it "made in USA".
Probably 30 or 40 percent of a charley is foreign. Its global market lowest bidder cost effective manufacturing.
Like foreign cars assembled in USA.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts