Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you have had a harley and and said to heck with it? i did .. had a sportster 1200 first bike for me i loved it but the vstar was so much more comfortable! traded even! thanks craigslist.. LOL

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well as of Saturday I'll own one of each so I'll let you know how it goes. I've heard a lot about the hard seat on the Sportster. Was that the source of your discomfort, or was it something else? The V Stars have a much more relaxed riding position, but I'm sort of looking forward to being more upright. I find myself slouching a lot on my V Star and that isn't good for my back.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Skater, the Sportster has about 2 inches of travel on the year shock compared to 5 plus for the V-Star.
I'm having some back issues too, but they'd be a lot worse with the Sportster.
Hope you find the right balance.....you need a strong back to rock them skate parks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well as of Saturday I'll own one of each so I'll let you know how it goes. I've heard a lot about the hard seat on the Sportster. Was that the source of your discomfort, or was it something else? The V Stars have a much more relaxed riding position, but I'm sort of looking forward to being more upright. I find myself slouching a lot on my V Star and that isn't good for my back.
as far as seat mine as stock, im sure you get aftermarket and be more comfortable. there were a couple reasons for getting rid of the harley.. one, my cousin got a vstar, i rode it and fell in love. my wife wouldnt ride the sportster with me, she rode with me on his and said i like this ill ride this one.. also my cousin and i were planning a trip to tx, and i DIDNT want/need to ride the sporty that far.. lol so now i have the vstar havent missed the sporty at all, my wife still wont ride with me.. and the vstar made it to tx and back without a single prob. during the yr i owned the sporty i rebuilt the starter, rebiuld the carb, replaced the belt, brakes, throttle cables.. and several other things.. ive had the yammy 4 months and have only replaced tires and changed the oil !! im yamaha for life at this point! much better bike.. i know the bigger harleys are nicer.. yada yada.. but an old harley guy told me once.. " ya know what the HD stands for?" no .. what? " hundred dollar,.. every time you turn arround youre spendin a hundred dollars".. there is alot of truth in the statment!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Gotcha! I've heard that before about the extra cost of upkeep. I can certainly see how it may not be the best choice for longer rides and I honestly can't say I'd want to ride pillion on one, it looks like I'd be blown off the back in no time. All good points. I'm actually kind of hoping I'll prefer my V Star because otherwise BF and I would be fighting over the same bike all the time haha! Of course, BF may find he prefers the relative comfort of the V star as well, and then we'll still be in that predicament. :).

Oh well, we're both still total newbies. We'll give this a try and if it doesn't work out we'll move onto the next thing.

Paddy, I've got serious core strength, which I get mainly from riding my road bike to and from work, 100 miles a week. I'm sure the travel on the Sportster is far more comfy than the travel on my carbon road frame -- there is none!

·
Registered
570 Posts
how many of you have had a harley and and said to heck with it? i did .. had a sportster 1200 first bike for me i loved it but the vstar was so much more comfortable! traded even! thanks craigslist.. LOL
1200 sportster was my first as well...Mine was a 2006...Ya know, the ones with the "rubber mounted" engine that is supposed to stop vibration......yeah it didnt do too good of a job lol. After a good ride you could really feel it in your hands.

As for the shocks, If you hit a small bump at a decent speed the thing would almost toss you off, lol.

Im not bashing Harley, I really have nothing against them, just simply comparing...My v-star is much smoother and comfortable to ride, seems to handle better too, but that might just be me.

The one thing the Harley did have that was better was the clutch...But this could most likely be attributed to the fact that my sportster had 1800 miles on it when I was done with it, and my v-star currently has 15,000.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Back in '08 I got a new '08 XL1200C and put 10k on it before a stage I conversion consisting of full V&H, Big Sucker, SERT, and Andrews cams. I now own a bone stock 1100 Classic. Stock for stock, I prefer the YammerHammer. It's more comfortable, it isn't top heavy like the XL, the Sporty's ride was rough, even with Progressives. Come hard out of a curve on a county highway and sometimes the XL's rear would leave the ground or break loose. The 1100 is more smooth and a softer ride. Plus it feels quicker than the stock Sportster. The 1200's mileage was better at 57 (stock) and 40 (modified). I'm looking forward to doing some performance upgrades to my new to me YammaHawg 1100 Classic soon. I've already found my exhaust, ignition, intake, just trying to decide between the SSCC 429's or 502's. While I don't think I'll net the same power with the Yamaha as I did with the HD, I do think it'll be more fun and an all around better bike.

And if yer lookin' ta find a Harley that actually handles, better than most bikes I've ever ridden, try an FXR (FXR, FXLR, FXRS, FXRT, FXRP). The best handling frame HD ever made, I feel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only Harley I have owned was an 04, 1200 roadster w/stage 1 on it. I bought it in 09 to build a trike. I put around 500 miles on it as a two wheel bike and then about the same as a trike. Nothing sounds like a Harley and I'm not sure if the length of time/miles I put on the bike qualifies me as an owner. I bought it because the kit I used was the most reasonable for the HD. The reason we sold it was it was work to ride it around and especially the turns/curves.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Before purchasing my 99 V Star 650 Classic I test rode several different bikes to compare. I test rode everything from HD Dyna Wide Glide to Honda Goldwings and found the V Star just seemed to have fit me better and handled better to me. Its alot more comfortable than the Sportster and coming directly from the LaCrosse area HD dealer, the salesman there said no matter how you go these days if you buy brandnew, youre buying Japanese anyways...I dont think his boss or HD wants to hear about that, he deffinately didnt want to make a sale that day, even though I was strongly considering buying a HD Sportster from him.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You have obviously not ridden a 'Liner. ;)
I love my 1300, and have ridden the Liner as well. My next bike is going to be a full bagger with tour pack, such as the Ultra Classic. I love the Yamaha Venture, but want bigger than a 1300cc engine. My dream bike would be a full dresser Liner. Why won't Yamaha build us one? Grrr...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Harley verses Yamaha? I owned a harley roadking for 5yrs before being stolen wrecked/totaled, granted I only put 7k miles on it (I was a over the road truck-driver almost never home) the roadking imo is next to nothing in handling could turn it inside my 950t all day long. What I don't have to do is keep fixing my yamaha. More $ to spend elsewhere hahaha. Ride quality between the two is close looking into an air-ride shock for my daily riden 950t less then a year now and 7100 miles now on it today. For the expense I will keep my yamaha.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
You can always build one roxtar,not even much difficulty and would still be cheaper than a HD probably.
I was typing a similar reply but the liner's capacity of the gas tank is at least a full gallon shy for serious interstate touring. On the liner the gas gage needle becomes the reason for stopping way before my arse complains about the stock seat.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was typing a similar reply but the liner's capacity of the gas tank is at least a full gallon shy for serious interstate touring. On the liner the gas gage needle becomes the reason for stopping way before my arse complains about the stock seat.
My riding buddy's HD fully dressed Ultra classic gets worse gas mileage than I do on our trips by quite a bunch. I get 40mpg. His ride is fuel injected with about the same size tank capacity and he fills up quite a bit earlier that I need to out of necessity. He has no mods either. I find that odd to be honest, but he's used to it. It breaks up our trips every 100 miles or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts