Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
Reaction score
I rode metrics for years. Went to Harley a few years back.
The fit and finish is better on harley. The chrome is better on harley than metric.
Transmission is separate on harley which means you can service it separately without splitting a crankcase.
Girlfriend likes the ride out of them all. It's not buzzy, squirrely on the freeway and can flog 90 mph all day long if I wanted to.
It's one of the most well planted, stable riding machines I have owned.
I can get parts and accessories for just about anything for ergonomics and comfort on my bike. Direct bolt on.

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
530 Posts
Reaction score
My question was less about the snobs, and more about why they cost so much more, no matter what age, even if they are in years with known maintenance issues.
Well, I have both HD and a stratoliner first off the stratoliner is faster but that's not the point Yamaha joined the race but HD never quit the the race its not about what is faster its about the ride you can still get parts for a 20 yr.old HD and if you want a new or newer bike a cruiser its off to HD you go..many others have quit making big bikes not HD and technically keeps evolving HD does too after market parts high performance parts hard to find for other bikes, HD on line in store still not a problem. Like I said I ride both I prefer to ride my strat but enjoy the HD you can't buy a new stratoliner but you can get a new HD. So I understand 👍

· Registered
23 Posts
Reaction score
I guess i fall into the Harley non-lover group (didnt want to say hater lol).. i think the whole pirate look and having to own everything that says Harley on it down to your socks is just ridiculous. I've been riding for over 30 years always on metrics.. and for me its always been bang for the buck of which Harley is at the bottom of that scale. But to each there own.. give me a Harley, same year, same displacement, same condition for the same price as a Japanese bike, and sure i'd consider it.. but price it 50+% more and no thanks.

· Registered
311 Posts
Reaction score
I had a '03 Harley Night Train years back. I never bought Harley clothing - way too expensive. I knew the company was a ripoff - just like GM or FoMoCo. A cheap half-helmet was as far as I went. Hated that too, since growing up on Jap bikes, I was used to wearing a full-faced. The wind noise was deafening! I wore foam earplugs.

I got rid of it because the bike pissed me off as a mechanic. Needed expensive special tools to do just about anything on the bike, and service info was hard to come by. Besides that, at 5'4" tall, that damned air cleaner stuck into my right leg and made the reach to my custom pedals even more difficult. Engineering like that I refuse to support.

Was a great running bike - rode like a Cadillac, and had great torque. Always fired right up, and didn't leak a drop. Never had any problems with it, although that 88B was known for timing chain issues ... which was what led me to discover all I needed to buy just to do the job down the road. I had a friend that went through it about a few thousand miles more than what I had on mine. Dumped it with 6k on the clock. Luckily it sold quick, and I bought my Roadliner with the cash, and still had some left over!

Was a gorgeous bike, though! Black and chrome - no better color combo!

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Light Fuel tank Motorcycle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

· Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,820 Posts
Reaction score
I had a '03 Harley Night Train years back. I never bought Harley clothing - way too expensive. I knew the company was a ripoff - just like GM or FoMoCo. A cheap half-helmet was as far as I went. Hated that too, since growing up on Jap bikes, I was used to wearing a full-faced. The wind noise was deafening! I wore foam earplugs.

I got rid of it because the bike pissed me off as a mechanic. Needed expensive special tools to do just about anything on the bike, and service info was hard to come by. Besides that, at 5'4" tall, that damned air cleaner stuck into my right leg and made the reach to my custom pedals even more difficult. Engineering like that I refuse to support.

Was a great running bike - rode like a Cadillac, and had great torque. Always fired right up, and didn't leak a drop. Never had any problems with it, although that 88B was known for timing chain issues ... which was what led me to discover all I needed to buy just to do the job down the road. I had a friend that went through it about a few thousand miles more than what I had on mine. Dumped it with 6k on the clock. Luckily it sold quick, and I bought my Roadliner with the cash, and still had some left over!

Was a gorgeous bike, though! Black and chrome - no better color combo!

View attachment 122172

View attachment 122173

View attachment 122174

View attachment 122175

View attachment 122176
A buddy I ride alot with bought a new 2000 Softtail. His first bike, I was not impressed when he got it, I didn't think the counter balance set up would last. I was dead wrong turned out to be a real dependable bike. He rode it like he stole it for a few years, Held up real well against his wild riding.

· Super Moderator
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,495 Posts
Reaction score
I think Harley makes some very nice looking machines. I wouldn't be opposed to owning one. But as mentioned above, I can buy 2 or 3 Yamaha's for the same money. And for the most part the Yamaha reliability has been as good as any manufacturer. The Yamaha downside is that since they've discontinued pretty much all their cruiser lines the aftermarket support is drying up. You either need to modify a Harley do-dad to fit or look for something used.

If I want clothing I have many options that don't have me look like a walking billboard. :mocking:

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
I will be honest, I love all bikes really. I am not going to get too caught up in buying a particular brand just because it is brand A,B or C. When it comes time to buy a bike I look at my budget and start researching bikes that fit my need and my budget. I am a believer in ride before you buy, so this always keeps me local within reason. I want to see what the machine looks like, feels like and performs. Also, amazing what you can learn by seeing someone garage. Get an idea of how they treat their machines. I am not against Harley. I love the look of a road king, if my budget allowed I would have ridden one to see if it fit the bill. But personal circumstances kept me under that price range on my most recent purchase a few weeks back. Ended up with my first cruiser, a beauty 07 V star 1100 with 9000 km (5k Miles). Thing is like new! My only gripe so far is the 5 speed gear box. I am planning a long haul trip in the summer and a 6 speed would have been nice.

Not knowing a ton about cruisers currently (been a Ducati/Aprilia rider for about 15 years) what Harley is closest to the V star 1100? I am imagining a soft tail, but maybe I am way off base?

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
530 Posts
Reaction score
I will be honest, I love all bikes really. I am not going to get too caught up in buying a particular brand just because it is brand A,B or C. When it comes time to buy a bike I look at my budget and start researching bikes that fit my need and my budget. I am a believer in ride before you buy, so this always keeps me local within reason. I want to see what the machine looks like, feels like and performs. Also, amazing what you can learn by seeing someone garage. Get an idea of how they treat their machines. I am not against Harley. I love the look of a road king, if my budget allowed I would have ridden one to see if it fit the bill. But personal circumstances kept me under that price range on my most recent purchase a few weeks back. Ended up with my first cruiser, a beauty 07 V star 1100 with 9000 km (5k Miles). Thing is like new! My only gripe so far is the 5 speed gear box. I am planning a long haul trip in the summer and a 6 speed would have been nice.

Not knowing a ton about cruisers currently (been a Ducati/Aprilia rider for about 15 years) what Harley is closest to the V star 1100? I am imagining a soft tail, but maybe I am way off base?
HD heritage closest thing great bike also easy to handle city friendly highway comfortable great power band removable windshield saddle bags 4 way flashers cruise control 6 speed trans

· Registered
2022 FKHR Road King, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,808 Posts
Reaction score
As to Harley riders, why don’t they ever even give you a glance? It’s like they think you are beneath them. Out on the Roadie, the only time recently that I got a nod at a stop sign was more about the fact that I walk my dogs almost daily past a local barber shop where the barber always has his Harley parked outside. Everyone recognizes me and my dogs, so I think he was surprised to see me pulling up next to him. So he was acknowledging ME, not my ride.
Just wondering.
I chose to write about this portion of your original post. I ride a lot during the work week. Since I joined this forum when i got the Stratoliner, I had already put 80+ thousand miles on my Triumph and had a 1982 Yamaha 650. Recently, I sold the broken Strat and bought a new Road King. I cannot say that Harley riders are snobs so much as some riders just don't wave whether at a stop or on the road. I doesn't seen to matter which bike I am on or have been on over 40+ years of riding. Out of 32 machines now, only 2 have been HD. I myself usually do not wave in the dark or when there is a division between me and oncoming traffic.

I don't wave at a scooter rider much. I find them to be the least friendly, far more so than HD riders.

I enjoy riding and it doesn't matter what brand of bike it is as long as it works. I bought this Road King (Rex) this summer because Triumph and Yamaha no longer make big cruiser/touring bikes. Indian was too expensive and slow to order. I didn't want a faired bike so the others were off the list too. It seems that Indian, Harley and BMW are the only guys making big cruisers these days without a fairing. I'm kind of upset about that...

· Registered
23 Posts
Reaction score
I never wave at Scooters, unless accidentally.. does that make me a snob? I hope not.. when I'm riding the DS I wave at all other motorcycles and they usually wave back as well.. but I have ofcourse encountered the rebel types that don't wave back and they were usually on a Harley

· Registered
6,193 Posts
Reaction score
Just a funny side note - don't think I have ever seen a thread on a Harley forum called "What's with Yamahas and Yamaha riders...?"

I guess they don't care.
:ROFLMAO:
Because we don't exist in their world. I have noticed most of the support MC's allow non Harleys. Only the older big MC's still have Harley only.
Sonny Barger once said in an interview that when they were making the new bylaws for the Hells Angels he wished they had said BMW's, that they were more comfortable to ride.

Reactions: Boog

· Registered
95 Posts
Reaction score
Hell, I will wave at anybody. Scooter, Harley, bicycle, guy on a horse, old lady with a walking stick. Why? Because the point is not that I am acknowledging their choice of mode-of-transportation. It's because I am saying HELLO, FELLOW HUMAN! But as an American, I support all citizens rights to wave or not-wave at whomever they please! 'MERICA!

I have never purchased a Harley, but I have thought about it. It would be nice to try one. I'd also love to try a BMW R1200C. And lot of other bikes. I think my V-Star 650 is bike #14 (?), but since I am getting old(er), it may be my last.

Who knows?

Reactions: Boog

· Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,820 Posts
Reaction score
I never wave at Scooters, unless accidentally.. does that make me a snob? I hope not.. when I'm riding the DS I wave at all other motorcycles and they usually wave back as well.. but I have ofcourse encountered the rebel types that don't wave back and they were usually on a Harley
My daughter rides a Stella scooter and gets so excited if a rider waves to her. She got it inspected at the HD shop and the guy's were super nice to her.

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
530 Posts
Reaction score
I chose to write about this portion of your original post. I ride a lot during the work week. Since I joined this forum when i got the Stratoliner, I had already put 80+ thousand miles on my Triumph and had a 1982 Yamaha 650. Recently, I sold the broken Strat and bought a new Road King. I cannot say that Harley riders are snobs so much as some riders just don't wave whether at a stop or on the road. I doesn't seen to matter which bike I am on or have been on over 40+ years of riding. Out of 32 machines now, only 2 have been HD. I myself usually do not wave in the dark or when there is a division between me and oncoming traffic.

I don't wave at a scooter rider much. I find them to be the least friendly, far more so than HD riders.

I enjoy riding and it doesn't matter what brand of bike it is as long as it works. I bought this Road King (Rex) this summer because Triumph and Yamaha no longer make big cruiser/touring bikes. Indian was too expensive and slow to order. I didn't want a faired bike so the others were off the list too. It seems that Indian, Harley and BMW are the only guys making big cruisers these days without a fairing. I'm kind of upset about that...
Well said 👏

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
I get waves all the time from Harley riders, no problem. They are friendly and complimentary. I get compliments from Harley riders on how my bike looks etc. I go into my spiel on how my bike looks bland, supple, and the wallpaper analogy with them, they seem to disagree.

I'm pretty sure most if not close to all Harley riders don't wear full face helmets, at least down here, so maybe they aren't waving back or at you because you look different than them with your gear selection, just a thought.

I don't wave at scooters, don't see them as being on a motorcycle. Used to not initiate a wave for Trikes, i would wave back however. I have changed that recently to i'll wave, usually first. Even in the twisties and knowing the road very well i'll go 30+ miles without applying the brakes or putting my feet down, either that or maybe once giving it some brake and try not to get in a situation where i have to put feet down.

Some bikers are new and inexperienced and are concentrating too much to be able to wave, especially in the twisties/turns. Fear of letting go of the bars, or a hesitancy.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts