Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At low speed in 1st gear I get an almost either on or off response to a little throttle. I've read this is a common issue with fuel injected high torque bikes. I really notice it in the round a bouts my town is so in love with. Fairly small town, but we have built at least 35 round a bouts and you can't go anywhere without going in circles.

I came across this G2 product, "Throttle Tamer" and wonder if anyone has one installed? The concept of a redesigned cam makes sense.

Don

·
Registered
473 Posts
I remember with my 1300, before I did all the mods mine had a not so responsive throttle from a stop to second gear. If I remember right, after I installed the new exhaust it helped a ton and now with everything done its very snappy and no lag at all.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've done some of the mods and such, which helped a little bit, but what REALLY helped me is learning to use the friction zone of the clutch properly. This is an inherent nature of fuel injection and if you don't use the friction zone in slow speed situations, you will always have a certain amount of it. At low speed/low rpm, I ALWAYS give a little clutch to smooth out the transition from "off to on" and have eliminated that awful sudden jerk. Some think that riding in the friction zone of the clutch will damage it (I used to be one of those people!!), but these clutches are designed to work that way. In other words, it is a clutch that is designed to slip, and at low speed/low rpm, you control the speed of the bike with the clutch, not the throttle. This is something they teach in the Basic Rider Course, but they may not stress it enough. In the Advanced Rider Course, they stress it a little more, and it would be difficult, if not impossible, to pass the course without utilizing the clutch friction zone. I used to hate navigating parking lots because the "on or off" nature of the throttle, but now I can whip into any parking lot at any speed and speed up/slow down smooth as silk. Since I learned the friction zone, riding has become even more enjoyable, and I look for tricky parking lots because it so much fun!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine is much better after I drilled the exhaust and intake. Also installed Jack`s O 2 mod. All this helps a whole bunch .

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done some of the mods and such, which helped a little bit, but what REALLY helped me is learning to use the friction zone of the clutch properly. This is an inherent nature of fuel injection and if you don't use the friction zone in slow speed situations, you will always have a certain amount of it. At low speed/low rpm, I ALWAYS give a little clutch to smooth out the transition from "off to on" and have eliminated that awful sudden jerk. Some think that riding in the friction zone of the clutch will damage it (I used to be one of those people!!), but these clutches are designed to work that way. In other words, it is a clutch that is designed to slip, and at low speed/low rpm, you control the speed of the bike with the clutch, not the throttle. This is something they teach in the Basic Rider Course, but they may not stress it enough. In the Advanced Rider Course, they stress it a little more, and it would be difficult, if not impossible, to pass the course without utilizing the clutch friction zone. I used to hate navigating parking lots because the "on or off" nature of the throttle, but now I can whip into any parking lot at any speed and speed up/slow down smooth as silk. Since I learned the friction zone, riding has become even more enjoyable, and I look for tricky parking lots because it so much fun!
Using the friction zone is exactly the way to solve it, I use it all the time in the traffic circles. So the throttle mod is not really, "necessary" but from the reviews it does seem to work. For $49, I think I'll give it a try.

Don

·
Registered
810 Posts
Makes sense to me.....let us know how it works. I thought about trying it, but I read mixed reviews on it. Vance and Hines made an electronic throttle "regulator??" for Harley's for this very reason. It supposedly reads the throttle position and feeds the fuel a bit slower initially, thus eliminating that sudden jerk of the throttle. We don't have a big enough share of the market, so they won't make one for our bikes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I understand and agree on the friction zone use, but the zone is small on the 1300 (compared to my old Honda). Anyone using the Cleever?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ride Report

Here's my opinion of the G2 Throttle Tamer after riding it a bit.

It has definitely smoothed out the low speed response, noticeable difference. I still find a little bit of jerkiness once in awhile, so I think you still have to be really smooth in applying power. I like it and I think the $49 was well spent, I would do it again.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mods help but...

I have a 2013 1300 Deluxe with drilled exhaust and airbox and Jack's O2 mod and still found that I had to learn clutch modulation to get the smoothest performance from my bike. Proper manipulation of the clutch is a skill that is easy to develop and will serve you well in any type of low-speed maneuvering. The wet clutch will not suffer from this technique--I believe it's one of the reasons the clutch IS wet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The OEM clutch lever doesn't offer a big friction zone whiuch if used properly can smooth out the take offs from a dead stop as well as enhance overall slow speed maneuvering.

I have a 2012 950T and 2011 1300T and I installed "The Clevver" clutch lever on both. The wife loves the expanded friction zone on the 950T and I of course love it on the 1300T as well.

Check it out at this link...http://www.theclevver.com/

Good luck, hope the issue is not mechanical.

·
Registered
340 Posts
From everything I've read, I'm probably going to do both the tamer and the Clevver.
Thanks for all the post, it helped me make up my mind.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use the friction zone a lot. I'm working on getting my u-turns within 20 feet, and that requires to be slipping the clutch the whole time. I think my next change will be the Clever as well, the reviews all rate it positively and it's not very spendy.

Not that these things alone will get my low speed maneuvers mastered, but anything helps, and I need all the help I can get.

Don

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wife loves her Clevver Lever on her 950

1 - 15 of 15 Posts