Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And if so, will a 7" Yamaha headlight visor still fit properly? I'm McLovin' the Kuryakyn 7" Phase 7 headlight and would love to add this to my 2000 V-Star 650, but I don't want to lose the look of my visor. Has anyone put this on their V-Star and tried a visor with it?

I'm also wondering if there is a good LED passing lamp solution I could use to replace my current stock lights, again that would take the visors.

Current setup:

I basically want to convert to everything to LED except the signal lights.

Thanks!
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
LED bulbs can be purchased to replace most of the stock bulbs and keep the original housings. I've found them to be not as long lasting as the Standard bulbs. I did replace my 55 watt head lamp with a blue
hue 100 watt. Not familiar with the phase 7 sorry.

check your wiring diagrams and schematics . You may find that some things refuse to work right with LED bulbs.

The brake lights and turn signals on these bikes use a floating ground. In that the turn signal stalks have the bulb socket isolated from the frame ground. Same with the rear tail light. It can be tricky if your not on the same page. Good luck I hope you find what your looking for.

jake :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LED bulbs can be purchased to replace most of the stock bulbs and keep the original housings. I've found them to be not as long lasting as the Standard bulbs. I did replace my 55 watt head lamp with a blue
hue 100 watt. Not familiar with the phase 7 sorry.

check your wiring diagrams and schematics . You may find that some things refuse to work right with LED bulbs.

The brake lights and turn signals on these bikes use a floating ground. In that the turn signal stalks have the bulb socket isolated from the frame ground. Same with the rear tail light. It can be tricky if your not on the same page. Good luck I hope you find what your looking for.

From what I've read so far and from before and after tests on Youtube and other resources, it would appear you can generally swap out regular halogen bulbs with LED versions like an H3 bulb with a passing lamp and it will likely be an improvement. However the general consensus seems to be that headlight housings for halogen are just not made for the directional light of LEDs and do not reflect a proper pattern, height or spread and can actually make it more dangerous for the driver or other motorists. A lot of reviews seem to indicate that LED H4s in a halogen housing actually improved lighting on the ground around the front of the bike, but actually gave less distance and less height, making highway signs and such harder to read.

I'm definitely going to test all the LED goodies I have coming in and will record everything to post on the forum. I'm really liking what I see about the Phase 7, but I don't want to lose the sexy look of the visor :)

Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
That info would be interesting to those searching that topic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone curious, Kuryakyn just got back to me on the headlight question:

The 7” phase 7 LED headlamp 2249 will fit your bike with the headlight visor. The passing lamps 2247 do not fit the Yamaha housing. You would have to replace them to Harley spot housings.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Bevo, The blue hue was a direct replacement bulb for the vstar.

The 55 watt low beam was rather yellowish colored. The blue hue 100 watt is much clearer and has a blue hue when viewed at night or from straight on. It was about $12 on ebay. Not sure of the high beam watts as I never use high beams.

I've had this bulb in for over 2 months with no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Dan R what was the cost for these bulbs ?

This company has a reputation for high cost parts.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan R what was the cost for these bulbs ?

This company has a reputation for high cost parts.
The Kuryakyn Phase 7 is a complete LED headlight replacement, so you change the entire headlight and only keep the chrome housing. It's $250 on eBay.

As an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-TOURING-OR-METRIC-CRUISER-KURYAKYN-2249-PHASE-7-LED-HEADLAMP-7-FLHX-/160974489404?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257ad3c73c&vxp=mtr

You will never have to replace the lights, the LEDs on this unit will outlive the bike.

You can see some before and after shots here:

Skip to 3:30 for the comparisons.

The LEDs I bought for the passing lamps cost $5 for the pair and I bought a pack of 5 LED T10 lights for my speedometer for $3, shipped.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Wow $250 for a head light is a bit steep. The other bulbs are a no brainer.

Post some part numbers if you can for the instrument bulbs and the passing lamp bulbs ...

thanks Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Phase 7 LED headlamp and matching passing lamps. The headlamp does in fact fit with the stock trim ring, HOWEVER the entire lamp protrudes about 3/4" from the trim ring. It is about 20 below 0 right now or I would go take a picture for you to show you how it looks. *edit I had to let the dogs out so I went out and grabbed a quick picture

As for the passing lamps, they are a VERY tight fit with the stock buckets and will work, but I am not happy with the fitment.

AS for the price, I purchased the kit from this company http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27270c-3set.html which was the best price last winter. It is the same product as Kury just not relabled.

I also did some testing with a coworker who has the Harley Daymaker (JW Speaker) LED headlight. The Trucklite blows it away in the highbeam and does marginally better in the lowbeam. On his brand new Ultraglide he took the harley light out and put in the trucklite and was happier than a fat kid at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Awesome great info, Thanks

jake

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow $250 for a head light is a bit steep. The other bulbs are a no brainer.

Post some part numbers if you can for the instrument bulbs and the passing lamp bulbs ...

thanks Dan

Well, it's a good deal considering the OEM Harley LED headlight is double the price for the same thing I suppose lol! Right now I am just wondering if it will look weird having the transparent lense on the headlight and then having standard grilled textured glass on the passing lamps.

I'll post all the details on the other lights once I get them and install them for sure :)

Dan

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the Phase 7 LED headlamp and matching passing lamps. The headlamp does in fact fit with the stock trim ring, HOWEVER the entire lamp protrudes about 3/4" from the trim ring. It is about 20 below 0 right now or I would go take a picture for you to show you how it looks. *edit I had to let the dogs out so I went out and grabbed a quick picture

As for the passing lamps, they are a VERY tight fit with the stock buckets and will work, but I am not happy with the fitment.

AS for the price, I purchased the kit from this company http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27270c-3set.html which was the best price last winter. It is the same product as Kury just not relabled.

I also did some testing with a coworker who has the Harley Daymaker (JW Speaker) LED headlight. The Trucklite blows it away in the highbeam and does marginally better in the lowbeam. On his brand new Ultraglide he took the harley light out and put in the trucklite and was happier than a fat kid at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory!
Hi Litning, thank you for taking the time to post a photo and for your feedback!! So you and I have similar bikes... same year but you have the 1100 and I have the 650. That's a bit of a drag that it sticks out so much... so you think that I would still be able to put the visor on with this on both the headlight and the passing lamps? And what is it about the fitment on the passing lamps you don't like? I'm starting to debate if I should just leave it as is and just get a high output halogen instead so that I can be sure all the housings and bodies stay as is.

Thanks again for chiming in, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Litning, thank you for taking the time to post a photo and for your feedback!! So you and I have similar bikes... same year but you have the 1100 and I have the 650. That's a bit of a drag that it sticks out so much... so you think that I would still be able to put the visor on with this on both the headlight and the passing lamps? And what is it about the fitment on the passing lamps you don't like? I'm starting to debate if I should just leave it as is and just get a high output halogen instead so that I can be sure all the housings and bodies stay as is.

Thanks again for chiming in, really appreciate it.
I can't say for sure. I was looking at maybe swapping to a harley bucket and getting a frenched trim ring.

As for the passing lamps, the buckets are not deep enough to properly house the LED passing lamps. You can grind down about 1/8" to make it clear, but maybe getting the Harley buckets may be a better option. I have a few more months before riding season begins so I haven't looked too hard yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
$250 is not bad for an LED headlight. The LED headlight for my Victory is $400.
It does seem expensive compared to halogen, but then think about how expensive an LED bulb for your house lamp is that much more expensive than the incandescent bulb.

Part of bobbing my vstar is I am looking to replace everything with LEDs. Headlight is the only thing I am not sure about right now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up writing the rep back asking if there was a bezel or trim that I could add to cover up the extra bit that sticks out and they really don't have anything, so I don't think I will change to the Phase 7 yet. Hopefully another product will come out that will be a bit more seamless or if I can figure out a way to cover that up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ended up writing the rep back asking if there was a bezel or trim that I could add to cover up the extra bit that sticks out and they really don't have anything, so I don't think I will change to the Phase 7 yet. Hopefully another product will come out that will be a bit more seamless or if I can figure out a way to cover that up.
There are two options I have found so far (haven't done either yet though). Get the LED halo trim ring (not a fan of that design) or try to see if this fits (freakin expensive though)... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJOUXNQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=V0FF9VWZRACO&coliid=I1KLJGNRJ2NZ6Q

I am also looking at other options, but for me I would rather have the great light and i'll find a better option later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts