Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to a consignment shop. Looked around and saw a nice V Star. Since I do not know the specs from looking at the thing, I asked the salesman. He admitted he knows nothing about motorcycles in general, but from the information he was given, he told me it was a 2007 V Star 950. 3500 miles. He wants $6900 for it. Obviously a little high, but KBB has no listing for that model.

Is he mistaken? Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of it and it has not been posted online yet. Maybe it could be a 1100 or a 650. But I wonder if there are visual clues to determine.

This was was the speedo looked like. What year did this begin?

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I was looking for an 1100, my buddy who runs a salvage shop told me this is how he tells the difference.
1100 has dual disk brakes on the front, 650 has a single disk on the front.(some 1100 have been modded to single on the front)
1100 had rear disk brakes and the 650 rear drum brakes.
650 & 1100 are carbed, 950 is fuel injected.
Apparently there is a decal on the left side of the frame with info regarding engine size.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Go back and copy down the VIN #. This will tell you everything you need.

·
Registered
332 Posts
V Star 950. 3500 miles. He wants $6900 for it. Obviously a little high, but KBB has no listing for that model.
More than a little high, IMHO. Consignment shops are especially tricky because the seller wants a fair price, and the shop wants a markup on something that is very much a buyer's market.

In my area you can get a 950 Tourer with aftermarket seats, pipes, and more for a couple thousand less. I'd suggest you keep looking unless you're absolutely in love.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4517523598.html

At that price range I'd consider a 1300 or a Roadstar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More than a little high, IMHO. Consignment shops are especially tricky because the seller wants a fair price, and the shop wants a markup on something that is very much a buyer's market.

In my area you can get a 950 Tourer with aftermarket seats, pipes, and more for a couple thousand less. I'd suggest you keep looking unless you're absolutely in love.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4517523598.html

At that price range I'd consider a 1300 or a Roadstar.
Dang, that is a nice one. Yeah, I confirmed it is a 2009. KBB quoted $4900 for it, but you cannot plug mileage. Dunno. I will post a link when it is available.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A consignment shop I assume is pretty much a pawn shop and from what I have seen they over price everything. Honestly if you like the bike I would offer him something you feel is reasonable. If he takes it great if not you have lost nothing. Keep in mind though that as with any type of dealer you are going to pay more than a private seller. Maybe there is some way you can find out who the owner is and buy it straight from him if it ever leaves the shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts