Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
It is hilarious that anyone thinks it is safer to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.....

My Grandmothers Brother died a number of years ago due to head trauma received from a motorcycle accident. He was, and this is not a joke, on his way to a anti-Helmet rally. He was not wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
"Male gender, alcohol intoxication, intersection crashes and crashes at higher speed limits increased fatality risk. Not wearing a helmet and alcohol intoxication increased head injury odds. Fatality rate overall, however, did not change."

Then it says helmet non-use doubled the odds of fatality....sounds like somebody is making up a bunch of stuff here....

So if I'm not riding at high speed, not totally drunk...I'll probably be ok? I hate these so-called "studies"....and would love to know where their funding came from. It's like you just keep twisting the facts and muddying the details until you get the answer you want.

·
Registered
418 Posts
"If you play Russian Roulette long enough, you will eventually find the live round".

My neighbor, who is a policemen, almost lost his leg in a motorcycle accident (rear-ended a van at high speed). After three years of surgeries and skin grafts he still says that if he were to get on a motorcycle, he would have to see how fast it would go. :confused:

Comment: His wife forbade him to ever ride again.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Fatality rate overall, however, did not change."

Then it says helmet non-use doubled the odds of fatality....sounds like somebody is making up a bunch of stuff here....
what its saying is: “Michigan’s partial universal motorcycle helmet law repeal decreased helmet use and increased head injury among crash-involved motorcyclists. Furthermore, helmet non-use doubled the odds of a fatality and tripled the odds of a head injury,”

more MC riders suffered head injuries

the same number of fatalities occurred

people not wearing helmets were twice as likely to die, and three times as likely to suffer a head injury.

That means the people were dying at the same rate, and they were more likely to choose to not wear a helmet once they had a choice.

There is a point where a helmet will not save you. For one thing it only covers your head, not your internal vital organs.

One conclusion you could draw: the MC riders that were subjecting themselves to high levels of risk, and were most likely to die in an accident, were the ones that chose to not wear a helmet when they had the option, and continued to die at the same rate.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
LOL...so to simplify things they could have just said.....if you're an idiot on a motorcycle...you are more likely to die. If you're an idiot not wearing a helmet riding a motorcycle...you're more likely to have a head injury or die (maybe not from a head injury).

Not much rocket science there.....

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I think this sums it up.

One conclusion you could draw: the MC riders that were subjecting themselves to high levels of risk, and were most likely to die in an accident, were the ones that chose to not wear a helmet when they had the option, and continued to die at the same rate.

Personally, I will wear a FF helmet regardless of the law. If someone chooses to ride without a helmet, that is on them.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Personally, I will wear a FF helmet regardless of the law. If someone chooses to ride without a helmet, that is on them.
Ditto. To me, it's clear that wearing a helmet is better than not, and even though I don't have to here in PA, I do.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of 'nanny-state' laws and I'm a pretty strong supporter of not having helmet laws. Call me a hypocrite if you like, but I'm the guy who'd be wearing his helmet to a rally against helmet laws... I support everyone's right to choose, even if I personally think their choice is stupid.

Plus... Darwin.

Also bluetooth. All else aside, the ability to listen to tunes while riding makes me put the helmet on - all else aside.

·
Registered
346 Posts
LOL...so to simplify things they could have just said.....if you're an idiot on a motorcycle...you are more likely to die. If you're an idiot not wearing a helmet riding a motorcycle...you're more likely to have a head injury or die (maybe not from a head injury).

Not much rocket science there.....
If you are not wearing a helmet you are more likely to get a head injury as a result and might not die immediately, but you might also become a vegetable and have to live on machines the rest of your life, or become paralyzed, or suffer some other tragic condition due to said head injury.

These studies are stupid, everyone needs to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Nanny laws are there to protect the rest of us from idiots, less head injuries means more open hospital beds for people who need them, not for morons without helmets on.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you are not wearing a helmet you are more likely to get a head injury as a result and might not die immediately, but you might also become a vegetable and have to live on machines the rest of your life, or become paralyzed, or suffer some other tragic condition due to said head injury.

These studies are stupid, everyone needs to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Nanny laws are there to protect the rest of us from idiots, less head injuries means more open hospital beds for people who need them, not for morons without helmets on.
Beware the slippery slope: By your "saving hospital beds" logic, we could outlaw any 'unhealthy' food (e.g. meat), any 'risky' activity (e.g. Skiing), mandate __ minutes per day of exercise by law, etc. etc. etc. list is endless...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Absolutely! As a matter of fact....Let's not stop there.....why not just ban motorcycles if they are so dangerous....that'll save hospital beds, head injuries and human lives etc etc...... and then cars, then fast food, then airline travel, the list goes on and on.

However....no matter what anyone says, insurance companies still manage sizeable profits after those hospital costs and your rates would not go down more than a few cents...if at all. People with helmets still end up with head injuries too and end up as vegetables as well. They also linger longer in critical care before death, which drives up costs. So in the real world it all just about evens out.

I guess the moral of the story is to not complain about the other guy, just take care of yourself in the best way you see fit. That's just one of the freedoms of being a biker.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Top Reasons for Hospital Stays in 2010:
http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb148.pdf

Top Reasons for ER Admissions in 2011:
http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb174-Emergency-Department-Visits-Overview.pdf

Top reasons for Death in 2014:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_05.pdf

Notice Page 9: In Males "unintentional injuries" accounted for 6.4% of total deaths.
Of Course in those under the age of 45 it ranks much higher, but the number of total deaths under 45 is lower.

Doing things like banning fats n sugars in food might actually help increase lifespans and slow down heart disease which is the biggest killer every year. I am not saying that should be done, just that it could.

Banning Motorcycles is not going to bring the total accidental deaths down.

I do not see helmet laws as a slippery slope at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The main riders I see with out helmets around here are the hog riders. I guess they are too cool to be safe. I ride with helmet and body armor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I just found a great deal on an HJC carbon fiber composite full face helmet.

motorcyclegear.com is a website that appears to sell close out or discontinued MC gear.

I ordered an older RPHA 10 helmet for $139. They originally listed for $400, and you can buy the newer ones at best for $260 online.

Catch is they only have them in XXL size and only in silver or black.

Ive been riding with a modular helmet for the last 4 years, because I wear glasses and could not manage to put them on with a full face one piece helmet. Modular helmets tend to be heavier and noisier.

I looked into it again this spring, and found websites that suggest you bend the ear hooks on your glasses out straight, so you can push them back over your ears, through the open visor. Im going to use my old pair of prescription sunglasses and see how it goes. If necessary you can also modify the styrofoam in the helmet where your glasses would interfere.

The only down side of ordering a helmet from a website, besides not being able to try it on, is you have to wait Soooooo loooong for the free UPS ground shipping. Its suppose to arrive Monday.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here is a video that has been around for a while of a Mexican police officer hitting s speed bump and wrecking. Look how violently his head his the ground (3 times) if he had not worn a helmet , his head would have most likely been a watermelon.

Many low speed fatalities are due to the lack of wearing a helmet. Sure anyone can die in a motorcycle accident due to speed or internal injuries like if your hit by a car or truck. But believe it or not, most motorcycle fatalities do not involve cars but are riders loosing control, failure to negotiate a turn etc.

My opinion is all legal adults should have the choice to wear or not wear a helmet. If they want to take the increased risk, I am all for it.

Now I haven't been able to find any data on Guardian Bells and their ability to prevent accidents, but am still looking.................

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
in my state it's bikers choice as it should be, i don't need big brother to tell me i have to wear one. i wear it because for me it's common sense, in ct permit riders must wear one also anyone 16 or 17 and after the endorsement no passengers for 90 days, a helmet law is back on the table for 2017 but it will not pass, the last time they tried there was a massive protest it will be even bigger this time around because there's a lot more riders now than there was then

1 - 20 of 21 Posts