Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pre-ordered 2020 Venture TC should arrive in July and I have been doing a fair bit of research on what I am getting. I have two questions in case someone can assist me:

1. To use the communication system (for speaking and listening) the Yamaha website has a plug in system (rather expensive at CDN$540 for the two required pieces) but I prefer blue tooth, do you know if I can sync a blue tooth device in place of the Yamaha option? and if not do you know if there are quality aftermarket alternatives to Yamaha's offering? I wanted to ask before laying down over $500.

2. I have also done research on the built in GPS with regard to downloading maps. I have a great Garmin GPS that I do all my route planning on my PC and download to the Garmin. From what I read there is very limited options on route planning in the GPS software on the Venture (a limit of six map points and one route at a time and I can't do it on my computer and download) or am I missing something? If I have to I will install my Garmin on the Venture but it seemed like duplication.

Your help would be greatly appreciated because I am trying to get fully set up for when the bike arrives.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob, thank you for the information, you have probably saved me some significant $ on the head seat and I expect Harley has more options vs the one offered by Yamaha. Also I gathered the GPS is very limited but I could not find anything specific on it. Now I have the challenge of figuring out how to install my Garmin GPS without obstructing my view of the instrument panel.

I assume there is no option for using a blue tooth headset?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I assume there is no option for using a blue tooth headset?

Thanks again.
I cant help you with that as I have no desire for a bluetooth headset. The GPS is fine with me but I dont use a lot of waypoints, those that do complain heavily about this GPS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do a lot of long distance route planning and therefore have a lot of way points sometimes. Therefore if I am on a long trip I will use the Garmin if not I am sure the built in GPS will be more than fine.

I am really looking forward to the delivery of my bike, but it will be sad to say goodbye to the Roadstar, been a great bike.

Thanks again for your help.

Rob

·
Registered
144 Posts

I am really looking forward to the delivery of my bike, but it will be sad to say goodbye to the Roadstar, been a great bike.

Rob
--

You can do both, you know. I do. The thing is, though, that every time I get on the Eluder and realize how much bigger it seems than the R*, makes it hard to want to let it go. So I ride the R* the half year I'm in Arizona. The Eluder is for summer and the rest of the USA.

As I've put it to my son (to whom I'm giving one of my R*s), the R* is so much more forgiving than the Eluder.

--

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I do a lot of long distance route planning and therefore have a lot of way points sometimes. Therefore if I am on a long trip I will use the Garmin if not I am sure the built in GPS will be more than fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Rob
I found a work around for the limited 10 way points (not 6). Just save each days portion of the route separately with up to 10 waypoints in it. Just upload each morning before you begin the days ride.
It works!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I have the J&M dongle and helmet bluetooth. I can "talk" to my TC and cellphone. Love it.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have the J&M dongle and helmet bluetooth. I can "talk" to my TC and cellphone. Love it.
Never understood why people have a problem with being “corded”. It’s no big deal and the new J&M 801 ELITE headsets were made to Yamaha’s specifications on the stereo. They sound great! When talking in the phone while riding people can’t even tell I’m on the bike. No, they weren’t cheap, but then again.. true QUALITY never is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
--

You can do both, you know. I do. The thing is, though, that every time I get on the Eluder and realize how much bigger it seems than the R*, makes it hard to want to let it go. So I ride the R* the half year I'm in Arizona. The Eluder is for summer and the rest of the USA.

As I've put it to my son (to whom I'm giving one of my R*s), the R* is so much more forgiving than the Eluder.

--
I would keep the Roadstar too but in Ontario there is no discount on insuring two bikes...so rather than paying the extra insurance I will just travel more instead.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a work around for the limited 10 way points (not 6). Just save each days portion of the route separately with up to 10 waypoints in it. Just upload each morning before you begin the days ride.
It works!
Thank you that is great to know and if my route is really complex I could always download the next portion of the trip at the lunch break.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never understood why people have a problem with being “corded”. It’s no big deal and the new J&M 801 ELITE headsets were made to Yamaha’s specifications on the stereo. They sound great! When talking in the phone while riding people can’t even tell I’m on the bike. No, they weren’t cheap, but then again.. true QUALITY never is.
Thank you, I decided after getting advise on this forum to go corded, that way I don't have to worry about charging. Thanks...now just do decide on the Yamaha J&M or the Harley which is much cheaper and works on a half helmet...but I looked up the J&M website and I see they have a half helmet alternative.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Never understood why people have a problem with being “corded”. It’s no big deal and the new J&M 801 ELITE headsets were made to Yamaha’s specifications on the stereo. They sound great! When talking in the phone whilea cord. riding people can’t even tell I’m on the bike. No, they weren’t cheap, but then again.. true QUALITY never is.
That's funny. I never understood why people would want a cord. I have been a pilot since 1965 and have many stories of why the cord is a PITA. I have had many of the same problems on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I go both ways. a cord is very nice, just depends on if you can get it routed and strapped but still loose enough to work for you. Cordless is a huge advantage except the ovious issues with it, interference, battery power/life.
My wife doesn't know I'm on my bike most of the time, doing 80mph with my sena headset. I don't run a windshield or anything. Just make sure you update your firmware.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sierra

Bought two sets of the mic / earphones for the Venture at Americade from Sierra. They were the recommended parts from Yamaha (J&M 801 series - one for a half helmet the other for a three quarter). A guy at the Yamaha booth pointed out the price was better from Sierra.

Still got to take them out of the box...will this week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts