Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at the advise of some of my Forum buddies here I ventured out on a 150 mile run today, and I have to say that it was interesting to see the number of Harleys have issues of some sort but the Road Star preformed great.

The gas mileage was OK 135 on the odometer and no gas light. The bike has power that string shots you forward no matter your gear choice.

My only issue is with the head buffering I figure that since I'm missing the wind defector lowers is it just me or have others dealt with this? The headache is minimum but present just the same. (I use a full face helmet do you guys think it would be worst if I went with a 3/4 helmet or half? Simply looking for input.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 950 vstar and I had to put lowers on my bike when I did all the wind issues went away. I still feel some wind down around my feet but nothing around my head. I wear a full face in winter months and 3/4 in summer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
A few questions for you. Is your exhaust stock or is it loud? How much sound/air is getting under your helmet? I borrowed a buddies fullface to try it out and after only a few kilometers had to take it off as the wind and road noise was very loud to the point of being intolerable. Do you or have you worn ear plugs to see if it makes a difference? I had an issue with buffeting also but never to the point of giving me a headache. I ride with a half helmet and ear plugs and have no issues.

Just points to ponder.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few questions for you. Is your exhaust stock or is it loud? How much sound/air is getting under your helmet? I borrowed a buddies fullface to try it out and after only a few kilometers had to take it off as the wind and road noise was very loud to the point of being intolerable. Do you or have you worn ear plugs to see if it makes a difference? I had an issue with buffeting also but never to the point of giving me a headache. I ride with a half helmet and ear plugs and have no issues.

Just points to ponder.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.
The exhaust is not stock but did come on the bike so the band is unknown. The noise I won't say is because of the elements cause on the zx10 I have I uee the same helmet and have ridden the same ride w/o any issues. As for ear plugs I had head phones in one ear.
The lowers are on the things to get list for sure. Just like the highway bar are a must.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 2 cents. I added a set to my 650 Classic and they did a great job. But in the Summer they restricted the air to my motor and I could feel the extra heat up around my legs and actully caused me to be uncomfortable on the bike.

Others have said they use the lowers in the cooler months and either remove them, or turn them back to allow more air in the Summer. Can anyone else verify this happening to them or was it my particular situation?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Afternoon Update with the wind buffering. The Wife and I began our ride to without helmets and I have to the initial impression was that The problem solve just don't wear a helmet. But that won't never happen because in Florida you need one just in case. So we stop by Wal-Mart and grabbed two FUEL DOT and I opt'd for Goggles

I feel better but the lowers are the next item I purchase. The Memphis look short plus I've heard of a forum member with a custom made version that is just as great when attempting to combat the buffering of the wind. If nothing else the chrome Yamaha Lowers will be the ticket.

I have to say Thanks for the heads up about the heat exchange during the summer temp, being in Florida won't make it easy but I have to try something.
Pics:

·
Registered
202 Posts
So at the advise of some of my Forum buddies here I ventured out on a 150 mile run today, and I have to say that it was interesting to see the number of Harleys have issues of some sort but the Road Star preformed great.

The gas mileage was OK 135 on the odometer and no gas light. The bike has power that string shots you forward no matter your gear choice.

My only issue is with the head buffering I figure that since I'm missing the wind defector lowers is it just me or have others dealt with this? The headache is minimum but present just the same. (I use a full face helmet do you guys think it would be worst if I went with a 3/4 helmet or half? Simply looking for input.
Nope the effect is the same no matter what helmet ya got on.
I had head aches too until I made Fork deflectors (the clear plastic ones) in the picture. The buffeting effect is the air coming around the gas tank. block that air and the buffeting goes away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first impression of these pieces are that they work but they also cause Bar shake. The top of the defector vibrates at low speed to the point I can use it as a shift indicator. There is some adjustment forward and back set positions to play. Currently I have them in the bottom forward position.
If anyone has their setup a different way chime in....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tazman I am making a set for my bike and was wondering if it would be possaible for you to get a couple of pics from the side so I can see how the meet up with your windshield? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tazman, I have the buffeting and headache problem also. I have a Reckless Fairing that is an old out of date model ( I called them and found this out and also found out that they do not have fairing lowers any longer for this model). I think from your pics that I could use the deflectors like you have.Where did you purchase yours and what manufacturer. Thanks. Marc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts