Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone names nick I just bought my 1st bike 2009 xvs1300 ct I cant figure out headlight horn not working the 10amp back up fuse was blown under seat and no 30 amp fuse in the box that shared a 10 amp fuse and square white 4 wire plug straight forward from battery bout 4 to 5 inches it had aftermarket license plate lights in the bolts that hold plate on and aftermarket turn signals on lower front forks aswell as new tail lights I'm assuming these mods caused the issue but what? Also oil light blinks but just got oil change previous owner said runs great but these few thingsPlease help I'm new and dont have money to take to shop

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I would say download a manual and get you a voltage meter. Manuals can be downloaded here for free...https://www.manualslib.com/ I would assume the manual has a schematic...If not there are a bunch of people here who can assist with your issue..Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I would suggest get a meter, work on the headlight first, when you have it going next is the horn, last is the oil light. The oil light is going to be a bad wire or a bad sending unit.
Doing it in this order will get you used to the rewiring that has been done, supply voltages to areas that are interconnected and basically get you comfortable with where everything is.
Ask on here if anyone is in your area that can come over and help if you get stuck.
You did very good on supplying pictures of the different areas, try these and if still stuck , type away we are here to help.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
aside from Jspree's great advice, I might disconnect both and run separate test leads directly off the battery for a quick confirmation that both work and its a wiring/power issue. As both switches are in the same housing on the clutch side, maybe someone knowledgeable with your bike can confirm if they share a ground wire inside the housing???

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
2,870 Posts
Hello Nick and welcome from Virginia.
Great looking bike and I hope you've got it sorted now. Do let us know what you figure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the positive support and help I unfortunately have been so busy at work and with my kids to get it figured out actually things got worse I snorted out my turn signals somehow and now on top I think I blew head gasket I cant catch a break but thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
2,870 Posts
Good morning Nick, sad to hear about the oil/water mixing. Your bike seems to have had lots of modifications from PO. Being busy at work does not help with repairs as you've stated. I do think you are best served in learning some more wrench skills.

You will get lots more support from the family here and maybe even some in-person help if someone is nearby. Several others have brought us along on rebuilds with lots of pictures where some eagle eyed folks have identified many issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.