Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Headlight modulator (Flasher)

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  KCW 
#1 ·
I'm adding a headlight modulator (flasher) to my V-Star 1300.

I want to be seen. Does anyone else have one? If yes, how do you like it?

The one I just bought is by Kisan Electronics - the "pathBlazer". https://kisantech.com/mag/pathblazer.html
It is "plug and play" (no splicing of wires), it only comes on with the high beam light and has a "daylight sensor" that turns off the flashing at night or going into a tunnel or such. Sounds like a smart idea.

#2 ·
watch out for.... well.... just about everybody that is making a left turn across your path now
and let us know how many think you were blinking them through, and pull out in front of you.

#3 ·
Yeah, I definitely still have to watch out for turing cars - but this may help get the attention of just one of those cars. It can't hurt.

There is a YouTube safety/training series called "MCrider" that has a video on "why drives pull out in front of bikes". In summary (according to studies), car driver's only have about three seconds to scan the roadway to decide it is clear to pull out. Their brain will see the bike but it does not register because the bike is small (and may be moving fast) so the driver just pulls out. also discussed in this link Headlight modulator law and regulations; how pulsing light affects humans

The flashing headlight is supposed to make the brain recognize that something is there.

#4 ·
I agree people thinking you're 'flashing them through' is a concern.

Kinda depends on the modulation. If I had it at all, I'd want it to be pretty slight/subtle - i.e. just enough modulation to catch the eye without it seeming like 'flashing'. Ever seen an oncoming car go over railroad tracks and the motion makes the lights seem to 'flicker'...? That's kinda what I mean. It's definitely noticeable, but by no means a 'flash'. Better yet if the modulation is irregular, not an even 'beat'.

If it's a true flash on a regular pulse (e.g. from hi beam to low) then I'd be concerned, myself.

#5 ·
CountryB, Im not sure that you understand what Im referring to.

Blinking your lights at other cars can mean several things. One is when someone is trying to turn across your path, or to pull out from a side street or parking lot, if you want that person to go ahead of you and turn or pull out, you blink your lights a couple times.

For example, if a car coming the other way and turning left is blocking a line of cars behind it, it is common to blink that person through so they are not holding up all those cars at a green light.

It means "I see you, Im slowing down to let you go first, Im giving up my right of way to you".

Not everyone does this, and not everyone understands what it means, that is why you need to be careful - you may think you got your modulator on so you can ride through the intersection, and the other person may think you are blinking them through and turn right in front of you.

I blink people through intersections frequently in my car. I never do it on my motorcycle.

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, if it looks like "flashing" then it is a concern as may looks like biker is signaling "okay - go", but the rate of flash is governed by Code, so as not look like a flash signal. I've seen many bikes with the modulating headlights and never thought it was a "flash signal". I guess I'll find out.

The code requires the modulation to be set to 240 flashes (+/- 40) per minute (4 per second).
[/url]DOT rule on Headlight Modulators by , on Flickr[/IMG]

#7 ·
Yes, if it looks like "flashing" then it is a concern as may looks like biker is signaling "okay - go", but the rate of flash is governed by Code, so as not look like a flash signal. I've seen many bikes with the modulating headlights and never thought it was a "flash signal". I guess I'll find out.

The code requires the modulation to be set to 240 flashes (+/- 40) per minute (4 per second).
[/url]Capture by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152383962@N02/, on Flickr[/IMG]

That is a rational, logical and sensible response. Nobody should interpret 4x second 'flickering' as a flash through.

And yet, I've learned that expecting other drivers to be rational, logical and sensible is not a bet I wanna take...

In all seriousness, I am very curious to hear what you find once it's installed.

#8 · (Edited)
Whenever questions about safety come up, I always fall back to the fact that nearly 40,000 people die in vehicle accidents in the US every year, and hundreds of thousands of people are seriously injured and their vehicles are totaled.

That is the soup in which we ride, people are not able to stop running into each other. It keeps me sober on my MC, and keeps me from assuming anything about the other drivers, what they are thinking, what they are seeing, or what they are doing.

In the end it comes down to looking at the speed and path of the other vehicles, and if you are on a collision course then you need to get out of harms way.

I like riding on long stretches of asphalt with no center line, in the middle or nowhere.

#9 ·
Whenever questions about safety come up, I always fall back to the fact that nearly 40,000 people die in vehicle accidents in the US every year, and hundreds of thousands of people are seriously injured and their vehicles are totaled.

That is the soup in which we ride, people are not able to stop running into each other. .
Amen. But we can try to do something about it - by trying to make ourselves more visible.

Ironically, I'm shopping for a jacket now - and I decided that I don't want to go with one of those "bright neon colored" mesh jackets because it won't look cool on a Cruiser. So even though I want to be safe, I'm willing to draw the line when it comes to vanity. :rolleyes:

Reactions: KCW
#10 ·
I used to have the Kuryakyn modulator on my first 2009 Stratoliner S. It was liquid silver and pearl white. With my silver helmet, and headlight flashing, traffic started slowing down in front of me, and sometimes, cars moved over. I, eventually, figures out why they slowed down. In South Carolina, Highway Patrol vehicles are silver.

The Kuryakyn flasher can be turned on/off by flicking the low/high beam switch. Or, if it is off, you get a temporary flashing when you honk your horn. It also, came with the night sensor. Don't want to remove my 2012 Strat Deluxe fairing just for the modulator, but will mount it soon on my 2012 Roadliner S.

#11 ·
The Kuryakyn flasher can be turned on/off by flicking the low/high beam switch. Or, if it is off, you get a temporary flashing when you honk your horn. It also, came with the night sensor. Don't want to remove my 2012 Strat Deluxe fairing just for the modulator, but will mount it soon on my 2012 Roadliner S.
The "pathBlazer" headlight modulator only works on high beam, so it you don't want it On you can switch to low beam. I think these modulators will become a standard/required feature on future bikes someday. Sort of like daytime running lights on cars.

I'm not looking forward to removing my fairing (2014 Deluxe) either, so I'm going to do everything I can in that area at that time it is off - I'm adding the "Passing Lights" and installing two On/off switches (one for the PL) and the other as a spare (with power lead run to underseat location), while the fairing is off.

#12 ·
I'm very against the idea of a modulator myself, and personally don't see how it helps be seen. If someone doesn't see your headlight anyway, I don't think the modulator is going to help. All cases that I have seen of bikes with them, they more cause cars to be attracted to them like a moth to a flame, attempting to figure out what is wrong with your headlight.

They are illegal to use in several states, though the law is superseded by the fedeal law that allows their use.

Personally I don't believe there is anything you can do with being seen, as the problem is not that you are not seen at all. They see you just fine, the problem is your shape and profile does not register in their mind that you are a danger, so it is dismissed. With the limited amount of motorcycles on the roads here, compared to elsewhere, drivers are just not used to mentally identifying you, so you go invisible to them, even though they are looking right at you.

#13 · (Edited)
agree with patrickdk

the best mindset is to ride as if you are invisible - invisible to everyone all the time.

That does not mean you should ride a flat black MC with flat black gear and turn your lights off, but if you are expecting that maybe some people will see you sometimes then you are getting suckered into a false sense of security, and you are not riding as if you are invisible.

Its clearly a paradox, and there is no right answer.

#16 ·
I stand in support of modulators and I use one. They do not give the appearance of someone flashing lights to give the "ok" to pull out because they continually flash, a flashing light does in fact attract attention, especially when someone takes a glance in your direction to see if it is clear to pull out, more so than just a headlight and much more so than nothing.

Using a modulator in no way implies that the user will start riding without being defensive, at least not for me. I am very defensive in my riding habits and as a matter of fact, the thought that "with my headlight modulating everyone will see me and I will be safe" has never entered my mind.

The modulator is just another to tool; just like LED lights, flashing brake lights, helmets and riding gear to improve the odds that I will be safe to ride another day.

Loupgarou

#18 ·
How would one find the number of police cars that are hit every year, while stopped on the side of the road, with their light bars going full tilt Disco Party Mode?

I know it happens, dont know how often, or why.

#19 ·
I looked for "official" data on this - but I could not find anything. It does not seem like any official studies have been done of this subject (or perhaps none have concluded yet).

There are plenty of motorcycle magazines and reviewers commenting on the subject. Such as https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/26/the-art-of-being-seen-on-your-motorcycle
and https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-NHT-212-motorcycle/motorcycle49-50.html
and here list of sources, inofrmation and studies on motorcycle safety https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-safety-2/

#21 ·
One of the first things I did to my 1300 is add the passing lamps kit and leave them on all the time. At night when I lane split I flip on the high beams. A upgrade to PIAA high intensity bulbs is a good idea too but ultimately, assume no one can see you and be on the lookout. Loud pipes are sometimes more effective than lighting in my experience to be heard and then seen.

Reactions: KCW
#22 · (Edited)
I think these modulators will become a standard/required feature on bikes someday. Sort of like daytime running lights on cars....
I dont think that will ever happen as a requirement. Modulated headlights are like loud pipes on motorcycles. It may be helpful for one motorcycle, but as soon as you have more than one motorcycle with un-mufflered exhaust, or pulsing headlights, it becomes a smear to your senses.

Pulsing headlights and tail lights are very effective for bicycles riding in traffic - a driver will notice a bicycle with blinking lights sooner - but you get 2 or 3 or more bicycles with LEDS flashing in the dark, and it quickly becomes confusing what you are seeing, or where you should be focusing your attention. Have to add that this is more necessary for bicycles because they always ride slower than traffic, they are always on the shoulder, and they are always at the mercy of every motorized vehicle on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.