Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as most of you know, the OE headlights on the 1100 suck. I can't see squat with mine. So just wondering what you folks have done to help this. I know I can go HID with projector or LEDs but really don't want to spend that much green on one. I usually avoid night driving for safety reasons but on the occasional I have to, I would like to be able to see how to get home. I know I can buy different bulbs but have no idea which ones are actually brighter. The KB raves about the kurakyan headlight which isn't bad at $60.00. Just wondering what you guys have used and any other suggestions out there.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,776 Posts
Headlight

I commute every morning at 5am and I was having the same issue. I now use Silvania Silver Star headlight bulb. It's a bright white bulb and is much brighter than original. You can pick one up at any auto part store. Also check you headlight aim.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
In the wKB...there is a testimonial from one guy saying he loved his Adjure set up (not Kuryakyn). It's the "Diamond Cut Ice" that he had on his. They are a good set up for the 7" steel bucket Classic headlight.

If you have a Custom, they make headlights that size too...but I have never seen anyone use them so I can't tell you if it will fit for sure.

I just swapped to a HD Soft Tail light assembly I found on Ebay for $30 that already had an Adjure headlight in it. It's works very well for me.

http://www.adjureinc.com/mohe.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just upgraded my bulb to the silverstar ultra and I am very happy with the increased light.
While the bulb was expensive at around $30.00, I felt this was my best option for the money.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So for those here that have messed with the lighting....unless I am going all out to an HID, is there any gain from a different style lamp or just change to a brighter bulb and ride?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, when I said different style lamp I meant a different headlight housing/reflector.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
So for those here that have messed with the lighting....unless I am going all out to an HID, is there any gain from a different style lamp or just change to a brighter bulb and ride?
There sure was for me.......

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I swapped out the headlight bulb with a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Haven't tried it in the dark but just looking it is a much brighter,clearer, whiter light which I like. Now that brings into play another issue. My passing lamps look like wimpy little yellow lights compared to the headlamp. Anyone have any suggestions as to what type of bulb to put in those so it will closer match the headlamp? Also both the passing lamp lenses are cracked. Suggestions on where to find those as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only issue with that is would they then be brighter or whiter than the headlamp? Only reason I am looking to change them is because they no longer match in color. I'm really not that concerned that the lenses are cracked but since I was taking them out to replace the bulbs I figured why not. But from what I have found since yesterday the lenses would cost as much or more than led replacements. Really at a crossroads now. Didn't realize changing the headlight bulb would lead to another $100 bill.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok this thing is kicking my azz. Can anyone tell me where to find the OE lenses? Or have a part number for them? All I can find are the complete bar assembly or the sealed beam lenses. I have the part number for the OE bar assembly but can't find any replacement parts for it except the actual bulbs. I just want two OE lenses. I haven't called my local dealer cause I just figured that would be my most expensive option. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The cruiser customizing link has replacement lenses for OEM passing lights. Otherwise you can contact Rock River Powersports. They have good prices and sell online. Even once you know the stock number you're gonna have to contact someone to purchase the actual part. You're kind of low on options if you don't want a used one.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that. I had overlooked that on the website. At least now I have a part number to search. I have no issue buying a used one, and I appreciate you offering that one I just can't find another used one.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You're not alone. The hunt was a nightmare for me too. Seems like something that would be really common to have to replace.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bevo I appreciate that info but, like other similar sites, the part number for the lenses comes up nil. Apparently the accessories are not listed in the OM microfiche charts.

So here's what I did and I'm very pleased with the results. Since the lenses were such a pain to find used and I didn't want to spend $70+ to replace them (after all the are just cracked but still completely intact) I decided to just replace the bulbs.
For the headlight I used a Sylvania silver star ultra. The passing lamps are Sliver stars. They don't make an ultra in a H3 bulb. Haven't been out at night with it but based on the before and after pics I'm sure it will be a substantial difference. For anyone that is still running stock bulbs I highly recommend this upgrade at the very least. To me the passing lamp bulbs pay for themselves with increased daylight visibility alone

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts