Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my Roadliner didn't come with a manual and the PDF file I have doesn't have the info so I'm turning to my fellow Liner owners. Does anyone know if a generic relay can be used for the headlight or by any chance does anyone have a part number for an OEN headlight relay? Started installing my HID kit. Got everything hooked up and the HID bulb will light up briefly but cut off so I'm thinking I need a relay and will possibly do some rewiring. Any help would be great

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. The fuse isn't blowing the bulb will flicker then stop illuminating. I'm gonna double check my grounds tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
5VK-81950-30-00 This is the yamaha relay part #.I'm no electrical guru by no means but the hid kit should have come with all the relays for the lights to work.It should be a stand a lone system all but the head lamp input.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Okay Tex, good luck.
Can you also describe what you did to add HID lighting?
Is it just a main headlight bulb swap, or are you adding HID passing lights etc ?
The application doesn't sound like a relay is needed because HID lights tend to require lower amperage for the watt equivalent of regular headlamp bulbs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Stratowart. I purchased a complete HID kit with ballast and bulb. After talking to the dealer I need the HID relay harness bc of the "maze" wiring that voltage goes thru on motorcycles. A lot of times voltage is lost by the time it reaches the HID bulb. True once it is on it uses less than your normal halogen bulb but it uses more wattage to "jump start" the HID bulb. So on my way to pick up my harness won't be able to work on the bike till tomorrow but will post pics and details for those interested. Have to get it all fixed by Friday so I can go riding with some good folks to the Great American Motorcycle Show here in Atlanta.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Okay, I just learned something today. I didn't realize the HID's required a ballast, which, due to the added resistance alone (I assume) adds current and the need for a relay.

I look forward to your DIY instructions and the pictures when you have it all down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts