Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

SO my friend pulled up on his 03 Road Star, and I noticed the motor was pretty warm. To the point where his pipes were getting discolored at the head.

He was telling me that the bike seems to get too hot, then the idle races which is the result of carb over flow.

One point : I changed the oil 500 miles back with an OEM filter and 20-50 Maxima oil. New K&N filter, fresh plugs, Vance & Hines Pipes.

My questions,

Has any one else experienced this issue and if so, was it solved?
Do later year Road Stars have oil coolers?

We are in Georgia and this issue is already occurring in 75 degree weather.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Engine overheating is often caused by improper fuel/air mixture. Probably much more likely than ambient air temperature. That would be the first place I would look. Good luck Augie

·
Registered
421 Posts
Did you replace the stock exhaust with the Vance & Hines pipes at the same time as you did the other stuff? If so, that could be related to the discoloration. Factory pipes are usually double-wall pipes. The inner pipe which carries the exhaust is separated from the outer shiny chrome pipe. The outer pipe is exposed to the air and doesn't get as hot, so it doesn't discolor. After-market pipes often are single-walled, so the chrome runs hotter and can discolor. Before I'd worry about overheating I'd acquire an IR temp gun and "shoot" the engine to see just how hot it is getting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike came with the pipes. I installed the K&N air filter.

I can see the bike running to lean and that to cause the bike to over heat.

What is the temp range for that motor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts