Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday a late Christmas present from my wife came in the mail. She had heard me talking about getting a heated vest to wear on the bike and loading dock area at work, I just couldn't decide on which one to get. She saw this one on facebook, ordered it, figured at the price if I didn't like it, no big loss. I took down our outside Christmas decorations today so decided to test the vest out. It was 44 degrees when I started so pretty good test. First off, the fit, it's small. I normally wear either a small or medium in most jackets and the vest is a medium, a small medium. They say you want heated gear to fit snug, so this will work. This vest works with a power pack that is not included, I have one, so no big deal. I can't remember what the capacity is of the power pack, I've had it for about a year and it was 100% charged. I wore a long sleeve T-shirt, vest and hoodie. Most of y'all have heard me talk about how cold natured I am. So, for 44 degrees I'm under dressed to my norm. This vest has three settings, low, medium and high. I turn it on high and start taking lights off roof. In about 15 minutes, I'm hot, pretty great. Turned vest to medium, in about another 15 minutes, I'm still toasty. Wow, I'm impressed. Now I turn it to low. On low I'm not hot, but very comfortable. I had set a timer on my phone to test battery usage. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to finish removing the roof decorations. It had now warmed up to 50 degrees and was back on ground. Turned vest off, didn't need the extra heat. The vest was on for about 20 minutes on high, 15 minutes on medium and about an hour and a half on low. The battery pack was at 89 percent. It's too early to really tell how long a battery will last but appears on track for 8 hours of usage utilizing different heat settings. The construction of the vest seems pretty good. No loose threads and zipper looks ok. It's supposed to be upper 30s to mid 40s the next few days so I'll test on bike and at work with a follow up review.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yesterday a late Christmas present from my wife came in the mail. She had heard me talking about getting a heated vest to wear on the bike and loading dock area at work, I just couldn't decide on which one to get. She saw this one on facebook, ordered it, figured at the price if I didn't like it, no big loss. I took down our outside Christmas decorations today so decided to test the vest out. It was 44 degrees when I started so pretty good test. First off, the fit, it's small. I normally wear either a small or medium in most jackets and the vest is a medium, a small medium. They say you want heated gear to fit snug, so this will work. This vest works with a power pack that is not included, I have one, so no big deal. I can't remember what the capacity is of the power pack, I've had it for about a year and it was 100% charged. I wore a long sleeve T-shirt, vest and hoodie. Most of y'all have heard me talk about how cold natured I am. So, for 44 degrees I'm under dressed to my norm. This vest has three settings, low, medium and high. I turn it on high and start taking lights off roof. In about 15 minutes, I'm hot, pretty great. Turned vest to medium, in about another 15 minutes, I'm still toasty. Wow, I'm impressed. Now I turn it to low. On low I'm not hot, but very comfortable. I had set a timer on my phone to test battery usage. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to finish removing the roof decorations. It had now warmed up to 50 degrees and was back on ground. Turned vest off, didn't need the extra heat. The vest was on for about 20 minutes on high, 15 minutes on medium and about an hour and a half on low. The battery pack was at 89 percent. It's too early to really tell how long a battery will last but appears on track for 8 hours of usage utilizing different heat settings. The construction of the vest seems pretty good. No loose threads and zipper looks ok. It's supposed to be upper 30s to mid 40s the next few days so I'll test on bike and at work with a follow up review.

View attachment 90819

View attachment 90820
50* i would have been out in my shorts tanning.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50* i would have been out in my shorts tanning.
Not this cold natured Texan. I'm in long sleeve below 70 and long johns go on at 45. I'm skinny and don't have any natural insulation. I'll take hot temps any time, but then I'll complain about it being hot. 😌

·
2,504 Posts
I only wear long johns.... wow, I can't remember the last time. Maybe back in my snowmobiling days if it dipped below -20C (-4F). I do have some leather chaps that I got to wear on longer highway rides and I think I put them on once to see if they would keep my legs warm on a cooler day. They did, but I only tried them the one time. I guess you just become accustomed to the temps where you live. For example, I would cook in someplace like Florida in the summer.

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
302 Posts
I'm impressed with that battery life. Almost too good to believe. Time will tell. But the fact that it uses a power pack instead of plugging into the bike is a plus in my opinion. Thanks for the info.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was 47 degrees when I left for work this morning at 4:45am. My normal would be a zip up hoodie and leather jacket. Today I used heated vest and leather jacket. Set the vest temperature on medium and started my 45 minute commute. I got hot, not too hot but almost. So I've found one issue with vest, it's under my jacket, temp controlled by switch on chest and with gloves on can't turn down. I'm sure with practice I could change temp thru jacket with gloves, it's a push to change switch. I could have stopped, taken glove off, unzipped jacket and change temp. I just need to experiment with outside temperature and vest settings. One thing I really liked is the collar is heated, neck stayed nice and warm. Once at work I turned vest down to low and that was just right. My normal routine is to take leather jacket off and leave my zip up hoodie on to check on my departing drivers in the warehouse which has open garage doors. Today only had vest on, low setting, short sleeve shirt and stayed warm. The temperature in that part of warehouse is normally a few degrees warmer than the outside, so let's say it's mid 50's there. Normally I split my time between the temperature controlled part of the warehouse and loading area thru out the day. I left my vest on low up until noon and temp was above 60. Took the vest off, but left turned on to check battery usage. When I checked on the battery at three o'clock at it was at 9%. That was a tad over 10 hours, with about one hour on medium and rest of time on low. I'm extremely impressed with battery use. The battery I have is a generic 10000mAh power pack I paid less than $15 for. If anyone was thinking about getting a cost effective heated vest, I definitely recommend this one. I'll post after a few more uses with any additional pros or cons I encounter. Now for a little humor, my employees were calling me Iron Man. This vest has a lighted switch on the left chest and they said it reminded them of Iron Man.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Thanks for the reviews Les, I’ve held off on a heated vest because I purchased the cold weather gear that Cycle Gear carries and it’s very comfy.
I remember watching our motor unit from my old department getting geared up in the winter and it just looked so uncomfortable and tedious to get all connected with their heated vests and gloves.
The price I must admit looks very enticing, I’ll be following your reviews on the life of the power pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
I did not know something like that was available. I did a quick search on them and found them to be fairly cheap. Not sure if they would last that long but the cost was very reasonable. I may need to look at that to help extend the riding season. Thanks for the heads up Les!

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm surprised too that it works as well as it does. The technology has come a long ways. I read that the technology used in heated car seats is being used in clothing and can be produced in a cost effective way. I'm wore the vest again this morning on commute to work, 47 degrees. I report on battery life this evening.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm continuing to evaluate my heated vest. Today it was 39 degrees on my way in to work. I normally use the 40 degree mark to layer up big time. This morning, long sleeve shirt, vest, leather jacket, gloves and chaps. I would normally have another base layer and scarf. I had the vest on medium for my 45 minute commute. I stayed warm!! It's nice to lose one base layer when using the heated vest. Battery life is still between 8 and 10 hours switching from low to medium. Vest is definitely working out great.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the great reviews Les. I will be definitely looking at getting one of those. I work in construction and between that and riding it will be well used. I didn't even know they existed.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm using it almost every morning, temps have been in 40s going to work. Battery is good for 8 hours plus switching between low and medium heat. This has got to be one of the best warm gear I've bought in years.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey Les
I think I've found this same vest on ebay for pretty good price but it does not include the battery pack.
What volt and Mah battery are you using with it?

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Les
I think I've found this same vest on ebay for pretty good price but it does not include the battery pack.
What volt and Mah battery are you using with it?
I have a generic 10,000 mah from Wal-Mart. Bought it about 8 months ago, I think it was $20. Bought as battery back up for Waynesville Meet and Greet.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have a hypothetical question. If Les's tiny winy vest works on a watch battery. Me being large would i need a tesla battery?
Good one!!!! But I use my hearing aid battery for back up. :giggle:
I found the correct battery pack for you.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Want to give a 30 day review on the heated vest. I've ridden to work 10 of the past 30 days. Most mornings like today in lower to mid 40s. I will normally wear t-shirt, short sleeve polo shirt, vest and heavy leather jacket. The vest only needs to be turned on low to keep me warm. I especially like that the collar is heated to keep neck warm. I normally leave the vest set on low at work for the next few hours as our warehouse gets a little chilled. Normally pull vest off mid morning after the weather warms up. Battery life has been great. With is on low for about 6 hours the battery is just under 50% charged. Zipper is holding up well. Overall this is the best $39 cold weather gear I've bought in a long time. If you are thinking about buying one, I recommend. It appears all the inexpensive vests like this one are all about the same, just marketed by different companies. Temp this morning:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Les. I'm having a heck of a time finding this online. Do you have a url?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts