Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my bike the heel shifter was missing. The PO took it off, I guess it was in the way or they didn't use it. I replaced it but it seems kind of akward using it. If I install it lower it hits the floorboards when shifting, but it seems a little high to me. I think I have it positioned correctly. Anyone else have an issue with using it?
Joe

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Heel shofter

From the rubber on my floorboard to the bottom edge of the shifter is one inch and a half at the rear most point. That should be the origional setting. Don't think it has been moved.

I very seldom use it. I seem to feel better just using my toes. Unless I forget my boots and have tennis shoes on.

Dave

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,
That's helpful, I'll measure mine and see where's it at. I notice when using my toes with my boots on it's a tight fit underneath the shifter.
Joe

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
heel shifter

My heel shifter felt too high when I bought my bike so I adjusted it down and yes it does hit the floor board. Mine has been that way for 2.5 years with no problems and have never missed a shift.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, I will take a look at it tomorrow. I measured the distance earlier and it was about 3" or so from the top of the heel shifter to the floorboard which seems to high.
Joe

·
Registered
166 Posts
how the hell do you adjust it without a bunch of removal....I thought about doing mine but did not feel like taking the whole left side apart to do it..

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Okay, it's not just me. I never had a heel/toe shifter before. I did the same thing, tried to lower it on mine the same day I drove it home. Lowered it on the spline one groove and it hit the floorboard. Moved it back to the factory position and never used it. Just use my toe, as it just feels more normal that way.
Thought about just removing it all together, but it looks nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's very easy to adjust, 1 bolt for the heel shifter and 1 for the toe shifter. You take it off as a unit (1 piece). I did notice marks on the back of the pieces that let you know the factory setting to mate the 2 parts. Stratowart I thought it was me too,lol. I think that's why the PO removed it. I like using the heel shifter I guess because my last 2 bikes had them and I preferred using it. Oh well thanks the the input I appreciate it.
Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts