Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my V Star a few weeks ago and am loving it. Only thing is the freeway riding, I feel like a sail - all that wind pounding my chest takes the fun out of it. Fortunately, I'm mainly doing the local foothills at speed of 50 max.

Anyway, I bought a Memphis Shades Hellcat and took it out today for the first time. Before, "head buffeting" was an alien concept. Now I get it. And it seems to start as early as 35mph and gets worse from there. I tried four different positions, at the limits of the adjustments, and could not come close to eliminating it. Maybe I'm too tall at 5'10", I don't know.

Would it be better to angle it sharply (45 degrees) towards the rider, or a more upright position? And how close to the headlight should it be? I've seen recommendations of 3" above headlight. That seems unlikely, and at any rate, hard to do with the hardware that came with it.

Anyone try a Hellcat on a 650?

Btw, before buying, I read hundreds of hellcat reviews (yes, hundreds!) on the hog forum, and although a few mention the problem I'm experiencing, most people seem to love it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well today I got it into a position where the buffeting is tolerable, and I'm getting some benefit from the shield. I've got it cranked back at a pretty steep angle towards me. There's definitely less pressure on my chest with it. It was cold and windy today so not the best conditions to be on a bike anyway.

I'm getting a different helmet next week, which may be a bit quieter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
try adding lowers to your forks...I believe what your feeling is coming up from underneath....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put a windshield on my 650 custom. I think its about 18". I moved it around to every angle and couldn't get it right. The air just banged everything around. I removed it and a least the air coming at me is smooth. I got a pair of sunglasses with a thin piece of foam around the lens. It keeps the wind from drying out my eyes. I still feel like a parachute on the the freeway.......

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out today in some drizzle and cold (for us californians in may!). And I took it on the freeway a bit. This thing is better than naked, but it's not what I hoped. I may take it off on warm days, and just use it for cold weather, or anytime I've got some freeway riding to do.

My verdict (for now) is that it's a reasonable shield, for something small and inexpensive, that doesn't ruin the looks of the Custom (the Classic looks great with a big shield, imo). I'm definitely more comfortable on the freeway with the Hellcat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
lowers? when i google that, i don't get the expected result. What are they?
If you go to Memphis shades website it will show you what they are. I put some on my Triumph and they make a big difference in what wind hits you and where. The do have to be adjusted though to get them right.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you go to Memphis shades website it will show you what they are.
Could not find the d-mned things. Not a great website. I am however talking with their customer support about the buffeting.

Took some photos. What do you guys think of the setup?
It's working pretty well, at least acceptable. I will keep fiddling.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That honestly looks silly. It needs to be way more vertical than that to do anything properly. The screen should not be tilted back at more of an angle than the forks. It seems to be way to high over the head lamp as well.
Well, looks are subjective (like in sport bikes!). I like the way it looks. I tilted it back that far based on a hellcat-on-a-cruiser thread someone else started, with photos. He said he got good results. And so far, this has worked the best.

I'm not done experimenting. I'll try to get them parallel with the forks, and down a bit, one more time. That was actually my first attempt.

Still waiting to hear from Memphis Shades.

Thanks for the link. Now I get it. But if I have to tack lowers on, the whole deal's coming off. Now those look silly!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Blues.
Here's a link to the Memphis Shades Lowers. Dont be confused by the Harley in the link all of these lowers use a clamp to the fork tube so they are the same for all bikes. The colored panels are actually two pieces one for the left and one for the right each piece has two mount holes. Not sure if these would work for your application, you'w probably have to straighten your windscreen up and basically run the bottom edge against the top edge of the Lower. These are made for the Memphis shades Slim/Fats windshields and their sportshields. Theirs looks alot like the Hellcat/

http://www.memphisshades.com/harley_lowers.shtml

·
Registered
166 Posts
It appears to me that the wind you are getting would be coming in over your headlight.
the shield is way to slanted and aiming right at your chin/chest. The shield needs to be lowered onto your headlight more and straightened up for it to work at all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It appears to me that the wind you are getting would be coming in over your headlight.
the shield is way to slanted and aiming right at your chin/chest. The shield needs to be lowered onto your headlight more and straightened up for it to work at all.
Well, the funny thing is that I can hardly feel any wind coming over the top of the shield - quite surprising. I asked Memphis and they asked me where the wind was coming from, so I took off my glove and tried various hand positions at speed. Also, very little wind coming under the shield, over the headlight. Again, this is surprising.

A lot of wind hitting my legs, but that makes sense. Memphis thought the wind might be coming off the ground, and maybe that's it. Currently, at that sharp angle, it seems OK. A little head buffeting, but I might have had that anyway (w/o the shield), but didn't notice because my chest was getting such a pounding.

Still waiting for their response from my photos, but the shield seems worth it. I went out in the hills in very cold windy weather Friday, and the shield (at this angle) does not appear to affect handling, so that's a plus. And it kept me relatively warm.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Lowers

It sort of defies logic to say that since a windshield causes buffeting to add more in the form of lowers is the cure, but it is. Don't know why, maybe it slows the air comming in under the windshield and filling that low pressure created by the windshield. Forcing it to come in through smaller openings like the gap between the windshield and headlight and lowers. I have seen dozens of people say it solved the probelm for them including me on two bikes.

Move your hands around and feel the path of the wind, you will find it comming in under the windshield and turning up. The position of the windshield does also seem to solve the problem sometimes. Some of the more aerodynamic fairings with windshield seem to have less. But for me on my stock windshield on the 1100 and on the Liner lowers were the answer.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts