Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just got myself an '08 V-Star 650 Midnight Custom!
I am a Cincinnati resident, and have just started riding this year.

let me start off with a couple noob questions...

when you release your clutch, does your cable pull the handle all the way back? mine has a little slop and I don't know if that means it's slightly engaged or not. i can flick it forward with my finger.

my bike makes a tremendous whirring sound from the right side when riding. is that normal?

seriously, let me apologize right off the bat with the moronic questions! any help is greatly appreciated! I look forward to picking your brains in the near future!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Pull the rubber cover a your clutch lever and adjust it by loosening the lock nut and turn the bolt out to take up slack. Leave a little gap and it should be fine. Whirring is normal. And them question have to be ask:D Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the forum/to riding. Congrats on the bike, nice looking piece of hardware you have. No such thing as a stupid question, but if there was I think I got all of them out of the way for everyone. Ask questions, and ask often, and enjoy the ride. We have a lot of great people here and we all like to have fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot guys! I think the only modification I want to do is bolt on some V&H Short Shots, the Gonzo Air Kit, and then rejet. I also found some forward controls for about $125, but am debating on whether or not it's even necessary.

Farmalldanzil, where should the gap be exactly?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone on here used the GAK? I was talking to tech friend of mine and he says increasing the air flow on a 650 can be detrimental to your performance. Not high enough compression in such a small motor. He was saying that it's just too much air being forced in. I was thinking that with the Gonzo being up under the gas tank, that shouldn't be an issue.

If you don't mind, share with me what you know/have heard!

thanks!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
thanks a lot guys! I think the only modification I want to do is bolt on some V&H Short Shots, the Gonzo Air Kit, and then rejet. I also found some forward controls for about $125, but am debating on whether or not it's even necessary.

Farmalldanzil, where should the gap be exactly?
Shop book calls for .2/.39 of free play that is before it compress the clutch:eek: and that's hard to feel so I set many at 1/16" or so at the top of the lever perch.:eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shop book calls for .2/.39 of free play that is before it compress the clutch:eek: and that's hard to feel so I set many at 1/16" or so at the top of the lever perch.:eek:
ahh! i have about .0625-.125" of gap, so i'm probably good! i just noticed that the clutch already grabs differently in the past month or two or riding. could be because i'm new, i'm burning it out... :(

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
ahh! i have about .0625-.125" of gap, so i'm probably good! i just noticed that the clutch already grabs differently in the past month or two or riding. could be because i'm new, i'm burning it out... :(
That clutch will last a long time, it runs in oil and there is not much that you can do to tear it up :eek:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard to the mother ship. You came to the right place for answers. There is a lot of good people with a lot of info. Nice lookn scooter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm glad I joined! I've been all over these forums reading the past couple of days, and still can't believe how much info I've come across!

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Hello and welcome.

I see you've already been awarded with great advice.

The only thing I can add is, with just a little bit of free play, you know the clutch is fully engaged. If there is no free play, then it is entirely possible that when the lever is tight against the perch, you don't know if the clutch wants to move a smidgen more to compress all the plates. In other words the lever is stopping the clutch from fully engageing, does that make sense?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello and welcome.

I see you've already been awarded with great advice.

The only thing I can add is, with just a little bit of free play, you know the clutch is fully engaged. If there is no free play, then it is entirely possible that when the lever is tight against the perch, you don't know if the clutch wants to move a smidgen more to compress all the plates. In other words the lever is stopping the clutch from fully engageing, does that make sense?
i'm confused. the gap i have is between the perch and handle. wouldn't the gap prove that the clutch is completely disengaging? and if it were tight I wouldn't know if the clutch actually was still engaged and needed more room?

that actually answers my question though. I was afraid the clutch was slightly being engaged when not being held, and thus "burning it out." however if it's not tight and pinched against the perch, I should be fine... err right?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
okay, now I'm confused by your confusion, LOL!

To disengage the clutch you have to squeeze the lever (this creates a gynormous gap between the lever and the perch). At this point your clutch springs are compressed and are fighting your left hand.

As you slowly allow the lever to go back towards the perch, the springs begin to expand and push all the clutch plates and friction rings back together.

When the clutch plates and friction rings are pushed together as tight as they can and can't squeeze any tighter, your clutch lever should now be real close but not touching the perch. At this point pushing the lever so that it touches the perch doesn't do anything to engage the clutch plates and rings more as they were packed as tight as possible just before the lever touches the perch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ahhhh. got it! i actually had it flipped in my mind. I thought to squeeze the lever was the engage, but in reality it's disengaging the clutch from the gears. makes sense. so either way, now i know i'm ok. I release the lever, i have a gap of about an 1/8" and so I know the clutch is fully ENGAGED and i'm not burning anything up. So it's normal to have a sligiht gap/play.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
ahhhh. got it! i actually had it flipped in my mind. I thought to squeeze the lever was the engage, but in reality it's disengaging the clutch from the gears. makes sense. so either way, now i know i'm ok. I release the lever, i have a gap of about an 1/8" and so I know the clutch is fully ENGAGED and i'm not burning anything up. So it's normal to have a sligiht gap/play.
Not normal but necessary. I'm glad it is working out for you:D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
BINGO!
It is strange to talk about how you work bike controls and buttons because while riding you don't have to think about any of it, it just happens.

It's like my horn button, while riding I can blast the horn in a fraction of a second, but during the annual safety inspection, when the inspector tells me to sound the horn I'll be hitting the turn signal button and high beams and the kill switch any finally go DUH, here it is "beep".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys! what's scary is I do all of my own mechanical work on my cars! LOL! who knows what i've done backwards!?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts