Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am new to the forum and Yamaha’s. I am selling my 2016 Harley Street 750 to purchase a 09 950 Tourer with 3300 miles on it. What are some of the know issues to look out for on the V Star? What should I keep an eye out for when test driving it?
welcome aboard. Lot of 950 owners here to help with your questions. That's one low mileage beauty you purchased. I love the looks of the 950. Happy trails.. ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I've never had a 950 but there are lots of members here who do, and they love them. I've never heard of any issues with them (they ARE a Yamaha) but if there is anything you should look for I know someone will chime in.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Hello!

Only thing Ive heard people say about the 950 is the floorboards scrape easier than expected - dont see this on any of the other V Star bikes

something to be aware of on an aggressive test ride

if you want to avoid it, lean your weight into the turn a bit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the welcome and information. I found that the 2009 has had a recall on a leaking fuel line so I will run the VIN for that. I also found someone on the forum that mentioned a transmission recall but I could not find any additional information on that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I have a 09 950 and the only issue I have is the ass torturing device known as the factory seat..I bought mine used and have had no issues. The mention about scraping is true. You really do not have to lean it very hard while cornering to scrape. However the bike is very nimble almost steers itself through the corners but if you ride it hard you can expect the scrapes. I will recommend passing lamps, LED lighting and a Run/ Turn / Brake conversion kit for the rear. It helps light up the back end where it turns the turn signals into running lights and brake lights. You will need to get some new red lenses for the rear but I feel as others will attest it does help you stay safe out there. This is a great forum and there are many helpful knowledgeable members who will assist you in any way they can. Snoop around and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Welcome, if you get the 950 i am sure you will love it. There are a bunch of guys that have them here and love them. Stop by often and enjoy the site. Yamaha is like a dodge truck you can't help but love them. (But with Yamaha it is because they are quality)

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Both my wife and I own 950’s. It’s true the floorboards scrape somewhat easily, but they corner very well. The aftermarket is not as expansive as other Yamaha models, yet you can still get most anything available. Ditto on replacing the factory seat, I have a mustang seat combo on mine and it’s so much more comfortable.
They run very lean from the factory, I have aftermarket exhaust and an open air filter kit. The most noticeable difference was adding the air filter kit. The brakes are pretty good on the 950’s, they’re a little clunky when shifting gears, but when I went with full synthetic motor oil, it subsided somewhat. I highly recommend the light kit that turns the rear blinkers into stop/brake lights, much more visible! I hope this information helps, I’ve included some pics of our bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts