Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I only get to dream about riding lately, Im the owner of a 04' V-Star 1100.

Currently deployed with the US Army in Afghanistan, and making laundry lists of things to do to my bike upon my return stateside.

Thats all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you for your service.

What are some of the ideas you have for the bike upon your return?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice .. bring me back a case of sugar free rip its? lol
Haha, got plenty of those to go around.

I'm 22, from Northern Iowa. Been riding for about 6 years, although this was my first cruiser. The V-Star in question is a black/brown silverado, stock, with only a few cosmetic additions. Hopefully though, that will be changing.

Ive been looking at installing a POD kit (dragonsbreath), as well as a performance exaust (cobra speedster), and replacing the cams (looking at the boss 429 cams). Beyond that I'm not certain.

The next step is to turn this into a bobber, but my priority right now would be to improve the performance of the bike. Hence my being here, some words of wisdom from those who have already been down this road would be nice.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Well it sounds like you're well on your way to improving performance. The POD intake (Dragons breath is a cool cosmetic option, but I opted to keep the pods under the tank so they are more apt to stay dry) will make a big difference for a small price. Coupled with a full exhaust, you'll see a nice result provided you rejet and also clean and sync the carbs while at it.

Beyond that, you would need to spend a lot of money to see even modest performance improvements. Flat sided single carb, cams, ignition, gearing, etc..... You will likely spend more than it would cost to trade into a larger bike. So most go for the intake, exhaust, rejet and call it a day until they trade up or add another bike (I hear roadliners are popular these days :).

Have fun, and get home safe!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts