Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a brand newbie. I'm 44 years old, I've never ridden a motorcycle before, but have wanted to learn, so I got myself an MSF course as a mother's day present to myself. Got my license two weeks ago, and found a 1999 VStar Classic 650 on Craigslist this weekend. It's sitting in my garage now, and I can hardly wait for my first ride, once it's insured of course. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I learn, so thanks in advance!

Patti

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome Soulsk8r from Arlington VA. Congradulations on your bike and your choice of forums.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new scoot.My wife rides a 650 classic also.My wife did the same thing as you and about the same age.MSF course was a very smart move for any bike rider. Enjoy your new ride,be safe and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome! Congratulations on your new ride. You picked an awesome bike to get started with. Word of warning, the only downside to these machines are that they are awful difficult to keep fueled up. I have to make at least two trips to a gasoline station each week to fill-up and I primarily ride leisure. :D

Here to you and many miles of smiles! :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the fun house Patti! My wife just got her license this year after never having ridden a bike before. This is a great group of folks we have here, and a ton of great information! Congrats and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome from sunny SoCal. This is the part where you tell us about your first ride..... :)

Stay safe...!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha thanks for the hellos!

The first ride will have to wait a while. I finally got it insured last night, but bike left on a trailer for the shop this morning and shop owner says he can't get to it until next week. It was sitting for a year before I bought it, needs an oil change and a new battery, and whatnot.

Two neighbors came out this morning as we were loading the bike onto the trailer to ask about the loud Vance & Hines pipes. So I may also look into some baffles. I've read that V&H doesn't make quiet baffles for the Cruizer pipes I've got (Part 31501). So now I'm looking into other options. One is SmartPartz Hard Kore Quiet Baffles. Anyone familiar with them?

They are supposed to mount easily onto the V&H baffle. I have no idea whether the baffles that came with the V&H pipes are even still there. It's possible the original owner removed them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice Bike...Hope you have it back by now and are getting to enjoy it...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the mechanic just called, and she's coming home tomorrow!!

that means i'll get to ride her some before i leave for seattle next thursday. woot!

here's what they did to her:

no carb work needed, so that was a big savings.
they synced the carbs and adjusted the low speed idle mix to reduce the backfiring on the downshift.
they drained the old gas, and put a gallon of fresh gas in.
then a minor tuneup:
oil change
replaced plugs
air filter was filthy
adjusted tire pressure, lube/fluids etc.
old battery is fine.
total cost $482.

he said my V&H pipes are fully baffled, they're just loud.
he suggested that i could wrap my baffles in fiberglass to quiet them a bit.
i may do that later.
or i could do an OEM replacement, which would be costly.
i'm not considering that right now.
for now i'll just work on riding quietly to and from my garage.

so stoked i finally get to ride! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts