Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I needed a gas saver so I started looking for bikes. I came across a very motivated seller (needs to get out from under his payment) who has a 2004 V-star 650 classic with only 2450 miles on it.

We've worked out the details and I am going to pick this bike up today. Ok, well my friend is going to pick it up, I don't even have my motorcycle license yet. As such this is my first bike, certainly not my first vehicle.

Now on to that first forum question that EVERYBODY on EVERY car/truck/atv/motorcycle forum seems to ask....

Even though it has such low miles I will want to change the oil in it pretty soon. I'm a big believer in Synthetics, I use Mobil 1 in everything I own so I am inclined to go that route. A good friend of mine who is into sport bikes (he owns a Yamaha R1) really likes Mobil1 for his cars but swears by Amsoil for bikes.

I'd say I can't really go wrong with either brand. Book calls for 10w-30 or 20w40 depending on climate. This bike will be garage kept and won't see cold weather so I would be inclined to go with the heavier oil.

Mobil sells two motorcycle oils, 10w-40 or 20w-50. Amsoil sells 10w-30, 10w-40, 20w-50, and straight 60. They actually recommend the 10w-40. I'm leaning towards the Mobil 20w50 just because it is readily available locally but I would like to hear some opinions. I like Mobil 1 filters too, any opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum ahemsa. Great scoot you got yourself and it's good on gas to. Moving on to the oil topic now ;). I have an 1100 an run it on 20W50. I haven't had any issues with running it at lower temps; 40 ish degs. You should have no issues what so ever if you decide to run it in your scoot. It does get warm enough in the summer where you live to handle it no problemo.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This is a great place with lots of folks that can help.
I bet you are going to love that 650. Im new to riding, bought a 650 custom a few months ago and I just love it. The only problem you might have is you may develop an intense desire to add modifications to your ride(;-{)>. Have fun and post a picture when you pick up the bike.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get all the advice you can take.
I will ask when you get your bike home please post some pictures.
I use whatever the dealer out in my bike :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok, I mis-typed it's 24500, not 2450 miles.

I brought it home last night. I went and got my motorcycle permit today. It's pouring down rain so I'll hold off on my first ride for a while.

Here are some pictures. They are quite large so I'll just post links instead of embedding them for the limited bandwidth people.

As you can see it's got a few extra bells and whistles on it already.
I know it's got vance and hines headers, hypercharger (do these really work, obviously the manufacturer claims they do but what about real world?), sissy bar, saddle bags, different seat, and several other things he told me but I didn't write down and have already forgotten. He's gonna write down a list for me.

All and all I think I probably did pretty well for $2900

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Good luck with the new scoot and welcome to the 4M.

The Mobil-1 M1-110 filters are as good as your going to get, better than the Amsoil filters. Also at the top for oil filters are the Bosch, Purolator and IF you can still find any, the WalMart (YES, that's right, WalMart) Super Tech, and ALL are better than the Amsoil filters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts