Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to the Forum,

Used to ride and trying to ride again. Purchased a very clean and low mileage 2005 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic Silverado recently and thought this is the place to be to learn the important things about the Bike. Looking forward to learning from the knowledge and experiences here on the Forum...MD :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Hi My 1100, welcome to the forum. Where in SC do you hail from? Glad you joined us and would enjoy seeing some pics of your bike, we love pics here. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I live in Sumter County between Sumter and Manning. Don't have any photos yet. The weather has been bad and I just picked it up on Saturday morning in the misting rain. I'll get some photos made this week. I also ride an ATV/SXS Kawasaki Teryx an awful lot is the mountains of southern WV. Thanks for the welcome and I'm sure I will enjoy the forum...MD

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the NC Welcome. I haven't ridden a bike in probably 20 years. Will have to get the balance and confidence back to a comfort level...MD

·
2,513 Posts
Welcome from Maritime Canada. I also got back into riding after 20 years with an 1100 Classic and I'm loving it. Should've done this years ago! You got yourself a great ride and this forum is full of friendly and helpful people to answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Thanks for the NC Welcome. I haven't ridden a bike in probably 20 years. Will have to get the balance and confidence back to a comfort level...MD
I just got back to riding last year after 18-year break. Rode Yamaha Stryker for an year and recently traded it in for HD. My wife's just took an MSF and picked her first motorcycle (V Star 650 Custom) in July so we are pretty much "brand new" riders as well. Since I started last year I've been riding as much I can and the more I ride the more fun I have (well, except morning commutes with all those sleepy "zombie phones" on the highway). Just take it easy and slowly and you'll get there. It's a lot of enjoyment.

Maybe we should organize a "neighbors" meeting next year, what do you think Keith?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you get some favorable weather soon, to ride your new bike. Mine is tucked away in the garage, ensured to stay there for a while, with the first bit of snow caking the ground outside, here in Massachusetts.

Just Googled what a SXS Kawasaki Teryx is... Side by side. (Didn't know the acronym I guess.) I'm sure they are great fun. My cousins live out in Wyoming and romp around in those. I grew up on four-wheelers, and really miss that type of adventure too.

Welcome again! Hope to hear more from you.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nurtaeff, I think that’s a great idea! I’d like to see regional get togethers if that could ever be possible. I like the way you think!

Keith,

That'd be awesome and I think it is possible if people are interested (I guess we need to find out). We could meet up at one of the Maggie Valley Rallies and have fun on Blue Ridge Parkway. They also have demo trucks from different manufacturers and other events. Lots and lots of bikes. We went there last fall to try new Yamahas and Indians, but I'd stay there for a few more days if I only had any vacation left lol. I love mountains and that area is very close to TN border! Maybe forum members from NC, SC, TN, GA, VA could come.

BTW, my name is Oscar ))

2018 Rally Dates - Maggie Valley Rallys

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
I agree! I’m not far from the Tn/NC border. I was planning a trip to Maggie Valley in the spring when the weather becomes rider friendly again. PM me and I’ll send you my email address and we can talk about possibly organizing this if that’s cool with you?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I agree! I’m not far from the Tn/NC border. I was planning a trip to Maggie Valley in the spring when the weather becomes rider friendly again. PM me and I’ll send you my email address and we can talk about possibly organizing this if that’s cool with you?

PM sent! It is absolutely cool with me!

My 1100 sorry for using your introduction thread, we just got too excited )

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nurtaeff wrote,
My 1100 sorry for using your introduction thread, we just got too excited )

My 1100 replied,
Not a problem. All good ideas and/or suggestions need to begin somewhere to become reality...MD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Georgia Boy wrote,
Welcome to the forum! I'm new here myself.

MY 1100 replied,
Thanks. Hey I have a good friend that works for the Nampa Fire Department. Keith Elkins is his name. You probably do not know anyone from the FD, but it might be a small world...MD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Georgia Boy wrote,
Welcome to the forum! I'm new here myself.

MY 1100 replied,
Thanks. Hey I have a good friend that works for the Nampa Fire Department. Keith Elkins is his name. You probably do not know anyone from the FD, but it might be a small world...MD
That's great! Don't know Keith, but I'm grateful nonetheless for what he does around here. I'll have to look him up sometime and say thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on My 05 1100 VStar Silverado, I sold it yesterday. Actually sold it back to the Dealership I bought it from back in December when cold and worth more now that it is warmer. Looking at a 2014 Road Star 1700 with very low mileage. No bags, but has key release factory windshield. Do not know anything about the Road Star, especially it being a little heavier the additional power of the 1700. At this point not really sure what I might do, but will probably stick with a Yamaha Star Something unless some other Cruiser jumps out and grabs me...MD

·
2,513 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Road Star. Read the reviews on them - they're bulletproof and have gobs of torque. They commonly run over 100,000 miles with just basic maintenance. Typical of Yamaha design, they feel a lot lighter than they are. I test drove one before I got my 1100 and it really didn't feel much heavier. At the time I thought a bike that big was a little much to get back into biking on, but now I wish I'd grabbed it. That's what I'll be upgrading my 1100 to when the budget allows.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still doing the research on several gently used Bikes, anything obviously abused is not even being considered. The mentioned Road Star sold and is out of the running. BUT, a 2013 VStar 950 Touring has surfaced under 5K$. less than 10K miles and seems to be a good looking Cruiser. It is called Touring, but a Cruiser to me. Does any of you think I will miss the power level between the 05 1100 shaft drive car-berated compared to the lesser 13 950 Belt drive and Fuel Injection?

I also have the opportunity to switch to Honda with a almost new 1300 Interstate or an actual carry over older model new 1300 Fury with some upgraded to make it similar to the Interstate. But the 2013 VStar 950 will be several thousand less and is still in the lead. Any how, the weather is getting good now and will be making some decision soon. Thanks for any information...MD

1 - 20 of 30 Posts