Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
My name is Michael, and I'm the new owner of a 2003 V Star 1100 Classic. I got the bike from a friend and hope the forum will be a great place to learn more about it as I try to work out the bugs so I can start enjoying it out on the road.

:smile:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Michael, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the pic of your bike. That's one of the first things folks here ask for so your good to go from that standpoint. I really like the passenger setup you have. My wife has been asking about that type of backrest / armrest thing. Do you know where it was purchased? I also have an 1100 classic, mine is a 2008 one. I live in the 290 / Telge area. Sounds like we are almost neighbors.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,481 Posts
Welcome from Katy. Nice bike. We are close enough that if you have an issue and need a second set of eyes or an helping hand just let me know. I commute daily and average about 12k a year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm off Barker Cypress Rd and FM 529, so sounds like we are pretty close.

I don't know where Rey bought the trunk/ bags set up, but I'l ask him the next time I see him.
That was one of the reasons I bought his bike. I previously had a Shadow 750 Spirit, but while my 10 year old loved riding on it, it was really built for solo riding. Wife wasn't comfortable on it at all.
Plus, with the gearing it had, it was good stop light to stop light, going back and forth to work on surface streets. It just didn't feel good and just screamed for another gear on the freeway.
I'm currently working through a backfiring issue on this thing. I have a thread in the V-star area about trying to work through it. I've spent some time and money on it, but so far have yet to clear it up with the "normal" remedies.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,481 Posts
We live really close, I'm at West Little York and Green House. Your bike appears to have stock exhaust and intake so the backfire might be an exhaust leak. Changing the oil means undoing exhaust. The head pipe gaskets are good for reuse but after a while they do not seal 100% and will let extra air into the exhaust igniting the unburnt gas which is there when you close the throttle. This is where I would start. Also if carbs set long the jets might be partially clog and a good fuel system cleaner might help. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lesblank has a good point about the exhaust leak and carb being clog. For the exhaust leak you can use a exhaust sealant for a quick remedy Been using Permatex sealant for years and still works great. I usually buy in box from 4 wheel online. And for the carb, carb cleaner or have it general overhauled.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I finally got the old girl running good.

Just pulled the carbs and stripped them down, cleaned and rebuilt them. New seats, needles, Pilot and main jets (back to stock size) and tunes and balanced them.

Very pleased at how she's running. Took her on the highway for a while, and some street level riding.

Now with the weather clearing up, I can make her my primary commute vehicle.

Thanks for all the help encouragement.

I need to get some riding in now.

Anyone local want to do some riding, hit me up. :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts