Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here - looking for next bike currently and like the strat. Prices are all over and I am alittle confused on which way to go.
Get a new 09 for $12k out the door or a 08 with pipes,engine guard,and rear floor boards w/7800 mile for 10k out the door.
Is there any difference in the basic bike? Any changes between the two model years?

We (the wife and I) like to go for short rides. 1 to 2 hours tops at one sitting. That gets us to Galvaston,Lake Conroe, Huntsville for some nice rides. Our last bike was a Honda VTX1800 so I do enjoy the power!

Any ideas or comments on finding us a new ride will be helpful.
Thanks
~S~

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome dvl. Sorry I don't have any insight on the Strat, but there are plenty of proud Strat riders that frequent this forum.

My two cents is the used one sounds like a good deal since it have extras you would eventually buy anyway, but that is coming from a guy who went with the brand new '09 and I don't regret it for a second. There's something to be said for being the sole owner of your bike......

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome from Washington State.

Sorry, can't help you with the strat decision.:)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard. You are on the right track. The stratoliners are awsome machines.If I had to do it all over again I would buy a used one with some goodies.But when I bought mine I couldn't find any used ones.Any way I wanted a brand new bike that way I could break it in the way I wanted to.But for money savings a used bike is the way to go.Check out craigslist,there are several in the portland.or area under 10k with some add ons.Goodluck on the hunt and keep us informed.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Any changes between the two model years?

Welcome:)

You'll find the Strat/Strat S (Stratoliner "S" model has more chrome to polish):

(My baby, about fully accessorized, but I don't do two-up so I removed the pillion and sissy bar)

has basically remained the same right up until the 2012 offerings when their style people OD'd and they lost sight of their original concept. About the only difference is the availability of colors; mechanically they're unchanged since their '06 introduction.

Only you will be able to decide what accessories you want or need. I suspect one of the first things you'll want to change is that spartan pillion seat. My choice is Ultimate; others here have different preferences.

The 7800 miles is nothing, always assuming the bike was properly maintained and operated intelligently. Spending less at the get-go leaves you $$ to fine tune the riding position and other comfort items. Buying new gives you the blank canvas and ironclad warranty.

Your choice, but any Strat you pick will be the right one:)

PS-
My Strat replaced my Goldwing;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!
hdeater113 - I noticed your reckless batwing addition and checked out their website.
How are you liking it? Do you have handlebar controls like the factory one?

I found a 2008 midnight strat yesterday with more goodies than before and less miles. Same price - I really like the look and comfort (blocking the wind to my hands) the batwing fairing would give. Also like the radio part because earbuds are a pain. Little things like that bother you as you get older.
If I added the batwing fairing to a midnight strat - do you think that would be too much RAVEN?

Has anyone reported a problem with the black peeling from the engine parts on a midnight model?
Sorry about so many questions , but with so many cool bikes and options, its hard to decide.
~S~

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts