Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. New member here, but I've owned my 2006 V-star 1100 Classic for about 7 years at this point. My father passed away last year in August and I ended up with his 2007 V-star 1100 Custom in which I have been doing some work on.

I have done an oil change, pulled the carbs to be rebuilt(someone else did the full work on those), replaced both tires, and replaced the stator. I'm now in the middle of an issue I need some help with. I don't know if I should I should post here or in another forum, but I will post here and someone can move it or I can create a new post with my issue.

The bike has had a bit of a grinding noise when starting since I got it, but then finally stopped starting at all. I replaced the starter and it was met with the same grinding noise, so in researching it sounds like it is most likely the starter clutch. I checked out some videos and reference the manual on how to replace it and reluctantly decided to try it myself(was quoted about $1200 to have it done around here). I have pulled the crankcase cover and upon trying to get the flywheel to turn to line up the timing with the top rear cylinder I am unable to get it to budge at all. Turned about 1/8 of a turn to start and then no further. I've pulled the plugs to make sure there was no compression, but it still does not budge at all.

Hoping someone may have some ideas of why the flywheel wouldn't turn manually, and if I pull it out in the position that it is in, how do i go about making sure the timing isn't messed up when I try and put it back together. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
2,870 Posts
Hello @FJS and welcome from Virginia. I hope the answer is an easy one. I wished I had it for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. I did manage to figure out that the gear between the starter and the flywheel had slipped slightly out of place when I pulled the crankcase cover. Once I moved it back into proper position I was able to spin the flywheel freely. Swapped out the starter clutch and have it back together, cranks but doesn't start as of yet. Getting closer to getting it running I hope. Here is the picture of my two bikes.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts