Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Located close to Kansas City on the Kansas side. Just bought a 2007 Vstar 650 Custom. First bike, already want something with a bigger engine and a 6th gear, but I’m enjoying learning to ride on the Vstar for the time being. Great bike. Solid performance!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. I have owned a lot of bikes over 42 years and just about all could hve used a sixth gear. Even my 1800VTX. The yamahas are designed to run at higher rpms. The idles are high to keep oil flow to the top of the engine. We are glad to have you and you are still welcome if you stray to a different brand. Stop by often,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from Wisconsin. I have owned a lot of bikes over 42 years and just about all could hve used a sixth gear. Even my 1800VTX. The yamahas are designed to run at higher rpms. The idles are high to keep oil flow to the top of the engine. We are glad to have you and you are still welcome if you stray to a different brand. Stop by often,
Don’t get me wrong I do love the bike. I picked it up off a guy in Manhattan, KS. It had sat for a year and a half, didn’t run and I got it for super cheap. Cleaned the carb, replaced the clutch and it runs great. I love the look of it. I’m not tall by any means (5’ 7”) and so I love how low it sits. I’ll probably keep it for a year or 2 and then we’ll see what happens. Could make me a Yamaha man for life, who knows? Out of all my friends the Harleys seem to have the most mechanical issues. The Yamaha’s are super reliable so far.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Your 650 is probably one of the most reliable bikes ever manufactured. You picked a good one to cut your teeth on. I was just saying no matter what you ride you are welcome. Heck even some of our moderators ride other brands. All bikes are special in their own way. You just find the one that is the best for you. I am a bigger guy 6'2" 265 i have a 1100 classic. Just enjoy your ride! Would appreciate more pics.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
View attachment 95014

... already want something with a bigger engine and a 6th gear,

I dont remember if this came up in a different thread

chances are you are lugging the engine - the 650 has a short throw -higher RPM engine design

peak HP is at 55 mph in 4th gear, and 75mph in 5th gear - if you are shifting before those points you are not getting the full HP the bike has to offer

top speed is 100mph

it sounds like its reving fast at highway speeds because it is - its designed that way - you wont hurt it running 85mph all day long.

also the bike has a rev limiter well above the peak HP rpm - when you hit it the engine cuts off until the rpms drop

if you want to see what it can do - hold the throttle wfo in 2nd gear till the limiter kicks in, then upshift to 3rd and do it again... it will surprise you...

you can easily hit 60mph in 3rd gear.... and you can also putter thru villages at 25mph in 5th gear if you want to cruise thru town

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee Cameron!
Great looking bike and the 650 is super reliable, it’s almost as good as KC bbq and the Chiefs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,554 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Nice bike and that LED headlight is a good upgrade for it. You might find the OEM seat a little hard as well. You found the best place to learn all about your bike and riding in general. I'm one of the members here who moved on to another brand but I still come here daily because of the community.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Welcome from Pensacola, Florida.............and if the bike never left Kansas then the turn signals have never been used.......lol
I grew up in Independence , Mo. , about 7 miles from Arrowhead and that was are big joke when growing up, no one in Kansas ever uses a turn signal.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,652 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I’m very familiar with the car forum scene, and I already feel very welcome here!

KCW thanks for the breakdown. Very helpful! I’m going to wake up early tomorrow and take it out. I’ll definitely run it through it’s paces to see what you’re talking about.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Welcome from Pensacola, Florida.............and if the bike never left Kansas then the turn signals have never been used.......lol
I grew up in Independence , Mo. , about 7 miles from Arrowhead and that was are big joke when growing up, no one in Kansas ever uses a turn signal.
If the bike were from Kentucky it probably would have been in a ditch at least once.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts