Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first bike. Floods real bad at under 30 mph. Flames shoot out of the pipes. Is this a common problem? Haven't been able to ride it much. Over 30 mph runs fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northwest Illinois. Glad to have you join us. What bike are you riding? Cleaning the carbs and checking for a sticking choke is where I would start.

·
Super Moderator
6,255 Posts
Hi FB, welcome to the forum. The info you provided is rather vague. As OVSM said, what bike you riding? I'd start where he recommended. There's a ton of informed members here, and the more info you can provide, will help get quicker answers for you. Ride safe and keep us updated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carb Problem? ?

2007 1100 5k miles runs rich at low speeds. Dies a lot. Smokes black occasionally. Runs good at higher speed. Previous owner didn't ride it much. Motor starts lousy. Added gas treatment. Looking forward to riding it but I'll have figure this out. Thanks guys for responding. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost forgot to mention that it is stock except someone removed the baffles. Local shop told me to change low speed jets to 180's. Sound reasonable to you guys? I tried to get it in their shop but 40 bikes in front of me. I'll try fixing it myself. I'm trying to figure out how get a pic of it on here.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like the float in the carb is sticking in an 1100 you have two carbs so follow the pipe thats shooting flames to the carb and give it a cleaning.

I was able to get a hold of an un molested roadstar for 1500 bucks as the guy thought the motor was toast because it wouldn't idle right... The carb was dirty as heck and required a rebuild as well for a whopping 150 on top of that she runs like a champ now...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not as lucky B84. I payed $3300 and it runs like $1500. Your right N57 the jets are like you say. This is all new to me. I know I sound like a fool but I'm learning. Cleaned and checked the carbs. Found the little wire missing on one float needle. Could that make it flood? The jets are stock. Ran a tiny wire through them. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I don't think of you as a fool, A fool wouldn't stop in an ask for help.
You did right and you got a good bike for a good price too.
There is a lot of members on here that can walk you thru the carb's, but most are out riding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After 2nd carb clean.

After work I fill the tank, added Sea Foam and tried again. Seems like the only way to start it is to open the throttle a crack. The Starter Choke seems to make it flood more. At least I can't start it that way. After it starts I get a little Black Smoke. Rev it up a couple times and it quits. Rode it around in the dark to see the pipes. If I stopped real fast and turned the bike off and looked in the mufflers I saw a glowing honey comb in there. I'm thinking maybe the cadalitic converters. I'm not sure if they should be that hot. Rode great at high speed. Did not do a lot of low speed only corners. It did not die and no flames out the pipes. All and all it ran a little better. Still not completely sure why its getting too much fuel.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Sorry if i come across as distant its my nature.the pilot jets have holes in the side that should be cleaned with a wire .you said you used a wire so you probably did so.Dont give it any throttle when starting it'll cause kickback and wreck the starter clutch.What is your pms set at?stock bike should be under 2 turns out.What wire is missing? Might want to check how many shims on the needles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The wire or clip on the plastic float that is attached to a needle. I think it lets the gas into the bowl. The pms screws are still covered with the brass caps. Not sure which shims you mentioned. How many should it have? I didn't know about not giving it throttle to start. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum eh. You should ask your questions in the vstar forum. You'll get more answers there.

Not sure what wire you're talking about but it would definitely have an impact on the fuel level. Like Nick said, Partzilla is a good source for parts. You could also go to your dealer and get the parts there, maybe pick their brains while your there. Let us know what you find out.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts