Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 star 1100 Silverado, wondering if anyone else has an issue with it popping thru the exhaust when letting throttle off

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,388 Posts

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I have a 2003 star 1100 Silverado, wondering if anyone else has an issue with it popping thru the exhaust when letting throttle off

if your bike is stock (on all vstar bikes) then popping and crackling is normal when compression braking down thru the gears.

they tune the engines at the factory to get the best air/fuel mixture for emissions and mpgs, which means when you are engine braking the tiny bit of fuel is not enough to ignite, and it pops out the exhaust.

If it bothers you then crack the throttle open just a bit while slowing down - the bike will not slow down as fast, but the popping will stop.

If your bike has been modified with aftermarket exhaust or bigger intake filters and its popping, then the bike was not compensated for the increased airflow (bigger jets or fuel injection tuning). Usually when someone re-tunes the air to fuel mixture they push it a bit on the rich side, and it doesnt do the popping thing anymore.

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee. I think you’ve gotten great answers to your issue, and you will definitely get more responses in the Vstar section. Please share some pics with us and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts