Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum have been looking at the Road Stars for some time now. Just started looking at the Roadliners and Stratoliners. Currently I am riding a 1988 Honda Goldwing. Wonderful bike but I have been chasing an electrical issue for months now and have lost all faith in the bike. Time to pull the trigger but I have some questions about the Yamaha's. First do the Liners have cruise control? I have heard that changing the oil can be challeging. Where is the battery located? I was crawling around on the floor at the local dealership and I guess they thought I had a heart attack because some one was calling 911. I just told them that I was looking the bike over. They asked me to leave. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Oldguys. You'll find the info you're looking for here.

I don't know a whole lot of details about the Liner family, but my first piece of advice would be to find another dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. As for the dealership they are just the closest to my house. I would buy and deal with another across town.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M, and yes "we" do rule!

The Liner's do not come with a factory installed Cruise Control, electronic or otherwise.

The battery is directly under the seat, it sets just below a mass of wires and the ECU but those are easy to move out of the way to gain access to it.

The oil change is hard the first time and then you quickly learn what to do differently come the next oil change after the break-in change. There are several tips on here about how to change the oil but all address one common thing, getting room under the bike to be able to swing the 17mm wrench. Oh and there are a total of three, yes three, drain plugs.

And the HD dealer's are more prepared for shoppers having heart attacks, some refer to it as sticker shock LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have size 15 fangers, as we say in Texas, so gettin' anywhere is tight. The Honda Goldwing has issues aswell so issues I am use to. What I like about the Yamaha's is air cooled, belt driven and fuel injected. Also I like that you don't have to dismantle half the bike to do something that takes you 10 minutes to do. Not raggin' on the GW but I like to work on my own bikes and the wings make it very challenging. Any thing I should look for when buying a "Used" sorry "Pre-Owned" bike?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Stratowart pretty much summed it up.. Welcome to the forum great forum tons of info and great people! You cannot go wrong with a Yamaha cruiser, funny story i went to my local yamaha dealership we got into a convo about the motor and he said hes never even had a chance to look inside or even see the crank theyre bullet proof! lol

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts