Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider and proud owner of my first bike a 2000 Roadstar. I just finished my rider course and received my license the end of June. I have about 700 miles under my belt and gain more and more skill everytime I take her out. I rode on the back for the past five years and decided hey I want to ride my own.

We have made some modifications to the bike since I am only 5'3". The first thing to go was the Ape Hangers. Sorry guys but I was to short and a new rider so they are now sitting in the garage. I am on a search for a low profile seat so I can get another 1/2 inch to the ground. I need it to allow for a comfortable ride since we dont just putt around town we ride. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are getting me ready for a 10 hour ride to Reno in September to the Street Vibrations Rally. I refuse to trailer and I really dont want to be on his bike sliver this time.

I attached a photo of her before we made several modifications (this was the day she came home). The 2nd one is my boyfriend test driving after he installed the new bars for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Congratulations on you new ride. On the question regarding lowered and narrow seat, you could check around SoCal and see if you have any seat customizing shops that can rebuild your OE seat to your specs or check out aftermarket seat manufacturers like Corbin. I know that Corbin has a solo seat that is not as wide and tall as the factory OE is. Price would for a good quality custom seat would be comparable whether you have it built to your specs and buy from an outfit like Corbin.

If you need to adjust handle bar reach, you could consider a riser and pull-back too. The combo custom seat and correct riser/pull backs will definitely give you both comfort and control when riding.

Looks like you guys are out somewhere in the North County area. Great place to call home not to mention some awesome riding too. Pala, Temecula and mountain roads to Palm Springs come to mind. Going the other direction would be Julian and Sunrise Highway down to Borrego.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we are in the North County (impressed you could tell off the photo) and have some great riding. I have done Julian, Del Dios Highway up the 101 (practice traffic since the rallys get packed). I also rode up to Idlyewild. I did look at the Corbin seat have not had a chance to sit on one. I also looked at the potato chip seat they have out there again have not sat on one. I think the saddle I have is just a little to wide. I can touch but we hit some gravel up in Idelywild and my right foot does not sit flat foot so it makes me feel I dont have full control. I am just so worried I will get another seat on and my butt will be killing me after an hour of riding. The new bars fit me perfect he even added the heat demons for me so for winter rides or early spring rides I get a little comfort. I am just loving being out there and proving to myself I can do it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree. The OE seats are created to be equal to all. My bike's OE rider seat at the widest point measures 18". Seat rise at 4 1/4".

Small framed riders take somewhere around 15.5". Also consider that the rise on the seat places you forward and should be around 4 5/8" for good support.

The best (some say correct) stance on the saddle places your feet not only level to the ground but with a slight bend on the knees too. This stance allows not just better control but also some flexibility so as not to strain your knees when balancing the weight of the bike at a stop.

Since you're out in San Diego, you might check around and see if you can find a customizing shop that can properly set-up your seat exactly to your needs and comfort.

I know of one such shop here in FL but that doesn't help you much. You take your bike to their shop and they will craft the seat specific to your needs.

Many miles of smiles.:)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome from Washington State.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard newbie.Nice lookin scoot you have there congrats. Glad to here you took the riders course best idea so far. Just a thought here about your bike,how bout dropping the back and front an inch? Might get you to the ground without giving up comfort.Things get a little crazy around but it's all in fun so sit back and hang on.Be safe and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome newbie from another Californian.

My two cents on the seat: I got a Drag Specialties predator seat which is FAR better than stock and lowered the riding position a full inch. What a difference!

There is a short thread and pictures/links about it in the V-Star section.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a thought here about your bike,how bout dropping the back and front an inch? Might get you to the ground without giving up comfort.Things get a little crazy around but it's all in fun so sit back and hang on.Be safe and keep the shiny side up.
The prior owner was only 5'8" so he told him it was lowered already. I was going the seat route so I didnt mess with the bike to much for resale (when I upgrade if I ever do since this girl has all the getup power I need).

I am so thankfull for all the seat suggestions since there have been a few I had not heard about. Just worried to pull the trigger without testing them out. I will just have to do it and make sure I verify the return policy! Now if only I could find one that doesnt get hot in the sun and burn my butt when I go out for lunch at work. LOL Ok a girl can wish cant she.:D

Thanks again guys for all the suggestions it is truly helpful!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Newbie, one other thing about the Drag Specialties seat: the leather is treated to stay up to 45 degrees cooler in the sun.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. It smells a little funny at first, but it goes away in about a week.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Bevo! I have voted for Aug & Sept. I have a few more changes to make to the bike. I did add the turn signal visor last night all by myself. I know two screws not a big deal but hey I did it myself. I ususally have been just stacking up the pile of goodies and then my boyfriend does all of it on the weekend. I am now waiting for my fender rack and seat! Once that is done I will get some new shots with all the mods I have done and get entered into bike of the month. I wonder if I can get some pink on there somewhere LOL just kidding.

·
Registered
545 Posts
longhorn fever? you've already caught it?[/QUOTE]

Naw. Longhorn stink never goes away.....! :p

·
Registered
923 Posts
newbie, I couldn't send you a PM but I was wondering if you wanted to get rid of those Ape Hangers you took off your bike. You can shoot me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
newbie, I couldn't send you a PM but I was wondering if you wanted to get rid of those Ape Hangers you took off your bike. You can shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Hi Jarhead,

I actually had them for sale on craigslist but then pulled them off. I thought about putting them on Ebay but never got around figuring out shipping on them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Apes

Hi Jarhead,

I actually had them for sale on craigslist but then pulled them off. I thought about putting them on Ebay but never got around figuring out shipping on them. :rolleyes:
If you're interested I'd be glad to take them off your hands, and give you a fair price for them. We can work out the details of shipping after we come up with a price. Send me a PM and I'll give you my personal e-mail for communicating.

Thanks - Jarhead

1 - 17 of 17 Posts