Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My niece gave my son her old V-Star. It has been sitting for quite a few years. It looks in pretty amazing condition. I just got it home. Looks to be a 2001 classic. I think it will take a little bit of work to get it going but it will join the Vstrom and DRZ in the garage, and hopefully a Tracer 900 soon! It will give me and the boy a project to work on together, so that is cool.

So, I guess the first steps will be to drain the fuel, change oil, and brake fluid, inspect the plugs, gear oil, air filter, probably have to clean the carbs (I fricken hate carbs), fuel filter change out. Probably have to put new tires. I'll check the date code. New battery. I'm not even going to try and start it, although I guess that won't hurt anything at this point.

Any of you V-Star pros have any other suggestions on getting it going, let me know.

I wonder how my son would feel about converting it to a bobber?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin, i have an 01 1100 classic myself. It sounds like you know pretty much what you are in for. If you runs into problems don't be afraid to ask. Would love to see pics of all of your bikes. Stop by often

·
Administrator
3,504 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Looks like you've got a good handle on things. Unfortunately, if it's been sitting for several years chances are you'll need to open up the carbs, especially if they didn't drain the fuel from them. And look inside the tank for rust. If it's rusty you'll need to clean it out or it'll get into the fuel system and you'll become very good at cleaning your carbs.

If you need help, we have a lot of experienced people here who will be happy to give you some tips and advice. You didn't mention if it's a 650 or 1100 but if it's an 1100 there is one important thing to remember - NEVER give it any throttle when starting. Not only won't it help at all but it will kick back and eventually destroy the starter clutch. It's a known quirk with VStar 1100s and it can be a costly repair.

And I second the request for some bike pics. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin, i have an 01 1100 classic myself. It sounds like you know pretty much what you are in for. If you runs into problems don't be afraid to ask. Would love to see pics of all of your bikes. Stop by often
Yeah needs tires .See the plastic windshield sun has done in plastic. Is there any product that can buff plastic or do I have to buy new.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Any thing you pretty much won't last real long. I would (as cheap as i am) would replace it. I love the tank bib and matching windshield bag. I would hate to see such a beautiful bike bobbed. I would like to see more pics

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Where in SoCal do you call home? I was born and raised in the San Dimas area where riding motorcycles was a right of passage.
Ditto on the pics when you get er’ going. Sounds like you’re doing the right things, keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,504 Posts
I've heard good things about Bike Bandit and Revzilla. Up here in Canada the cost of shipping and the exchange rate makes it too expensive to order from them so I've never used either so I can't speak from personal experience.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome from New York and a 650 owner. I would suggest pulling the plugs and squirting a little oil over each cylinder and rotate it by hand a few revs. For the windshield, I might try the same procedure for foggy car handlamps before scrapping it. Increasingly finer grades of wet sandpaper from 1000 to 3000 then spray with clear gloss acrylic paint... you can probably find a video on youtube and I brought a kit from Walmart last year. And new fuel lines to the other ideas.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,550 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
203 Posts
Hello Anthem and welcome from Virginia.

How old is your son? I think these Father/Son projects are awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts