Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello StarBike folks! Name is Kevin from east Texas. First time bike owner - usually mess with cars and boats. Was on Craigslist last weekend...if you knew me, that would come as no surprise. Ran across ad in the Free section. Said a guy was giving away an 04 VStar 1100 that had been sitting for a "long time" but should not need much to put back on the road. I was the first caller, got the address and hooked up a trailer. Unbelievably, that's exactly what the guy gave me - including the clear blue Texas title. Its going to need some work but i love learning new stuff.

Lorax over in the Engine forum suggested I post some pics as I go through the bike. Here are several - including one non-bike of another project in my shop. I've been on a lot of forums, but the people here have been really generous in advice and encouragement.

So here's the bike. From trailer to slightly disassembled. I've got it hotwired (no key), in neutral (the clutches were stuck), and turning over. the cylinders were so dry i got 30lbs compression that immediately bled off. A little oil in both cylinders and both are now about 128. As soon as I get a new crankcase gasket in, I'll refill the oil, put in the new plugs and give it a shot. Gas tank is drained. Haven't gotten to carbs yet but it sat so long that's probably next.

Looking forward to the whole show. And thanks again to those that have already helped.

Kevin
1119201507_HDR.jpg
1119201507a_HDR.jpg
1114201651_HDR.jpg
1119201505.jpg
1119201506.jpg
1119201506_HDR.jpg
1119201506a_HDR.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. That's definitely a project. I've been answering a few of your questions over on the other thread. A must read for all 1100 owners:

Here's a few intesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt

Ride often and safe.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Super Moderator
3,081 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Welcome from Rochester, NY!

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,286 Posts
Hello @gkevinr and welcome from a displaced Texan in Virginia.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Welcome one thing nice with a project like this we can all learn something, One thing do not use the throttle to start only the choke/enricher. If you turn the throttle when starting it will change the timing causing the motor to spin backwards and ruin the starter clutch which is expensive to repair

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Welcome from Southwest Louisiana. When you get that up & running we may need to meet halfway & ride. I'm down by I-10 near the Texas border.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Glad you posted! Welcome from Montpelier, VT. Nice garage!! Pure envy here!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome from Cypress TX. Please keep this going or start a progress thread as I am looking forward to seeing how things go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts